Toyotas aren't going to let you drive drunk.

Discussion in 'Asian Forums' started by SpoonsCamaro, Jan 3, 2007.

1. TOKYO - Toyota Motor Corp. is developing a fail-safe system for cars that detects drunken drivers and automatically shuts the vehicle down if sensors pick up signs of excessive alcohol consumption, a news report said Wednesday.

Cars fitted with the detection system will not start if sweat sensors in the driving wheel detect high levels of alcohol in the driver's bloodstream, according to a report carried by the mass-circulation daily, Asahi Shimbun.

The system could also kick in if the sensors detect abnormal steering, or if a special camera shows that the driver's pupils are not in focus. The car is then slowed to a halt, the report said.

The world's No. 2 automaker hopes to fit cars with the system by the end of 2009, according to the report. Calls to Toyota's headquarters in Nagoya rang unanswered on Wednesday, a public holiday.

Nissan Motor Co., another Japanese car manufacturer, has already been experimenting with breathalyzer-like devices that could detect if a driver was drunken. Similar technologies, such as alcohol ignition interlocks, are in use in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Concerns over drunken driving have surged in Japan following a series of alcohol-related accidents last year. In August, a drunken driver collided with another vehicle carrying a family of five, plunging them off a bridge and killing three children.

The incident prompted stepped-up roadside spot checks by police, who also plan to stiffen penalties for drunken driving.

2. hardcore?

3. Wow, that is rediculous. I'd never buy a car that came like that from the factory. If you're such a douche you don't know when you shouldn't be driving then give your keys to a responsible friend and tell them not to let you have them back or something.

4. My respect for Toyota just went up, not just for comming up with the technology but also having the balls to implement it

5. #$%# this shit. Pre-00's cars all the way!

6. It better be an OPTION. If they put these in standard I bet a lot of people wouldn't be down with that. Rich people statistically drink, and smoke more than poor people. A lot of rich people I know are somewhat crazy when it comes to partying, and they wouldn't like some car trying to tell THEM what to do. If it's an option then I bet it will almost never be purchased. So I don't see how this is going to do well either way, unless some government gets o delusional they make it required.

7. what if you just used that purell hand sanitizer or got some scope on your hands thats super high alcohol %?

8. What if some guy just smacked you with a whisky bottle and you're running towards your car, for your life and oops! you car doesn't think you should drive. People who think things like this are good ideas make me sick.

9. werd to the last 2 posts.

10. I would not buy a car like that, what is with the erratic steering. When driving my car down a pot-hole filled road, my steering can be described as erratic trying to avoid the pot holes. Or avioding debris on a road, or any number of other circumstances. I don't like this idea.

11. What if a drunk crosses into another lane a hits another car head on and kills a lady

What if that lady ended up being your mum

Werd

12. Gloves?

13. the kind of people that drive when they're drunk, dont own new Toyotas.....

14. Truth!

15. Oh well, shit happens. Then the guy should be punished for HIS actions. If stupid people want to buy dumb cars like this fine. But the government shouldn't ever make crap like this required. Governments all over the world have been moving towards punishing EVERYONE before hand for things that COULD happen, instead of just punishing people who actually do things. That's how things are supposed to work. You do something bad, you get punished. People are supposed to be responsible for their own actions, it's not the governments job.

16. You make a good point, seeing how many people last year were killed by lunatics that smashed a bottle of whiskey over their victims, then followed them to their cars to finish them off. Last I checked it was more than the number of people killed by drunk drivers, a real problem that's been on the hearts and minds of the people of the world for some time now.

17. What about the innocent people and their families that get effected? Who is responsible for that?

18. What about the people families that have relatives hacked to death by an axe murderer? Or a gang drive by? You can punish the person responsible. That's all. You can take all their wordly possesions and give them to the family of the victim(s) and throw them in jail, that's about it.

No offense, but this is exactly what i hate about people like you. YOU CAN NOT MAKE THINGS PERFECT!!! No matter what is done you just can't. It is not possible. What all things like this do is make things worse for the vast majority of responsible people, and usually don't even accomplish much of what they set out to do.

Government can not fix the world, except maybe by screwing with it less. Almost anything the government ever screws with just ends up costing the tax payers a fortune, barely does any good, and makes life miserable for the majority of people who aren't morons.

19. You cant make things perfect but you can sure as hell try.

ANYTHING, i mean ANYTHING that keeps drunks from getting behind the wheel gets a +1 from me.

You and your #$%#ing civil liberties.

20. Sigh... That is the line of thinking that leaves people living in a Naziesque state. Even if you don't have an "evil" government having all that stuff in place is nothing but bad news. Not to mention that every government in history does eventually get "evil" leaders who will abuse their power. That's why you shouldn't give the government a lot of power. It's a very simple principle really.

FYI this wouldn't keep a single drunk off the road. If they can afford a Lexus they probably have 2 cars. They take out their other car when they go drinking. Problem solved, drunk driver on the road. OR they simple uninstall the equipment. Problem solved.

You've got to realise why gun control, drug laws, and any number of other stupid laws don't work because if someone is going to break the law you can get around ANYTHING the government can throw at you if you feel so inclined. That's why all those stupid laws fall down in the real world.

21. 3 words then that is all

Dead Set Idiot

22. This is one of those rare occasions where I actually agree with Ferrarista. For the most part, anyway.

23. I too dont like the sound of the erratic steering thing. I drive in London, and if I can, I will drive all over the place so I don't put my car through all the holes in the road, not to mention general weaving through traffic in tight spaces. I wouldn't object to some sort of breathaliser ignition lock.

24. i def agree with exer on this one. its still the drivers responsibility. Its not the govts job to babysit every person.

25. PLUS #$%#ING ONE