TVR Reborn

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by Veyronman, May 5, 2016.

1. TVR's new supercar - first official pictures

Autocar

TVR has teased the design of its new model at the London motor show. The new car may take the Griffith name, of forbears from the 1960s and 1990s

TVR has finally shown first glimpses of the styling of its hotly anticipated all-new model. Due to arrive in late 2017, almost 400 deposits have already been taken for the new car which may bring with it the return of the famous Griffith name.

The car will use a Cosworth V8 that has been engineered to produce ample mid-range torque and more than 400bhp. It's expected to be capable of accelerating to 60mph in less than four seconds, and will be priced from about £65,000, though the launch car will be a special edition priced considerably higher than the regular car which follows; TVR owner Les Edgar says it will be "sub-£100,000".

TVR has also confirmed that a convertible will join the range with TVR owner Les Edgar saying the model has been designed from the beginning to accommodate an open-roof version.

The car will be built using Gordon Murray's innovative carbonfibre manufacturing process called iStream Carbon. Two mules are being tested, with the latest representing a realistic weight for the car, which is set to be about 1150kg. When development is completed, the production model will be constructed at the brand's Circuit of Wales Factory.

The reborn marque is out in force at the new London Motor Show, where it's left a full-size clay model tantalisingly covered. It has, however, displayed an image of the car's side profile, along with a sketch of the front end.

Combining the proportions of the model with the detailing from the front and side images, Autocar has been able to create an artist’s impression to show how the new V8-powered sports car is expected to look when it's launched.

The covered clay model was joined on the stand at the London show by a classic 1960s TVR Griffith 400. The appearance of that car is significant because the name Griffith is understood to be the leading candidate for the new car.

TVR boss Les Edgar has told Autocar that no name has yet been chosen, but it is likely TVR will reprise one of its famous names for the new car.

Edgar says the clay model gives a very good representation of the proportions of the new car, which is instantly recognisable as a TVR. It's wider than previous models, due to the fact TVR has developed its new road car alongside a racing version, and as such has given the car a more ‘planted’ stance.

The car’s design has been overseen by a TVR employee embedded within Gordon Murray Design, which is involved in the development and manufacturing process of the car. This is part of a collaborative approach from the investors in the project, who all have an influence on the design.

In profile, the new car is cab-backwards with a long bonnet, to emphasise its front-engined, rear-wheel drive mechanical make-up. The front end is much lower than the previous models. It has tauter surfacing and is altogether flatter and squarer. The grille shape and design is also all-new.

One other feature in the new TVR is the double bulge in the roof, a nod to the car’s racing pretence; the bulges are to accommodate drivers' helmets.

The new car will be built in Wales. at a factory in Ebbw Wale, with the Circuit of Wales site one of two under consideration. This comes despite the Welsh government confirming in April that it would not offer a financial guarantee on 100% of the Circuit of Wales project.

Click to enlarge
    tvr_tapedrawingweb.jpg tvr_teaserweb.jpg tvrweb.jpg

SupraMan likes this.
  2. Looks good. But will it be available in North America.

3. I'm assuming this will be a sagaris chassis with a new engine and slightly different bodywork

4. They've been talking about this for such a long time. By the time an actual car would appear, it will be so outdated the company would die out again in no-time.

5. Honestly I haven't seen a word written about them being sold in the US
    I'm going to reserve judgement until they hit the roads, but names like Cosworth and Gordon Murray make for very promising reading.

The iStream manufacturing process is interesting, and has been in development (initially for a tiny city car, the T25) for a number of years now. Yamaha actually showed a concept car at a recent motor show that used the technology, so the interest from other manufacturers is building momentum and believing in the technology so it seems like less of a complete shot in the dark.

There was a video recently of Cosworth testing the new engine on their dyno, simulating a Le Mans run. TVR have plan to race at Le Mans, so if the engine has been designed to meet the rigours of that race, then you'd hope the reliability trickles down into the road cars. Of course they don't reveal much of how it fares in the video, but there is potential for greatness I think.

6. Well the teasers actually look like a TVR, and the iStream involvement seems promising. I still remember how amazing I thought the Tuscan was when I saw it on a magazine cover some time in the 90s, pretty sure the headline for that was "TVR is back!" too. Looking forward to more news.

7. The Tuscan was the best looking car around at the time.

MooSquad likes this.
  8. Sounds promising, lets hope they actually build it

9. I can only wish them success, TVR was a nice car company

10. I miss TVR. Back in the day, my dream car was a Sagaris.

11. As teenager I wrote the Dutch TVR importer (I believe that was Nimag at the time, but not sure) for more infos on the Cerbera and they actually sent it to me and added postcards of pics of the Cerbera. So sweet.

12. IKR.

Looking at them again now, I realise they're even better looking than I remembered. The details are awesome. That spoiler!

13. I still like them. had a Cerbera pass me on the highway the other day reminded me to look at the current pricing. looks like I'll have to wait a while.

14. Yeah the 90s/00s TVRs have been picking up for a while. You used to be able to get a Griffith, for example, for under 10k but looking at them now you're paying at least double that for one.

15. The Taimar tho.. 1000'ish kg and 142 hp, so a bit the same as a hot hatch, but damn damn damn, how hot is thisssss. Meanwhile, the 80's TVRs I rather forget, no matter how powerful the 420 and 390 were at the time. 90's Griffith, Chimaera and later Cerbera were a sick as f comeback, however.
    [​IMG]

16. Would love to have a Chimaera. There were some details that kind of put me off but really liked the car overall and the interior with the right colours and specs is sick.

ETB4U likes this.
  17. its a good and bad thing. nice to see them getting the attention they deserve

18. Very true. It would have been a real shame for them to just disappear into obscurity.

19. Oh snap! The Griffith is available to import into the US now. Would love to rock that car.

@426 Hemistage 8

ETB4U likes this.
  21. Lol and here I thought he was just going to sit in it and pretend to drive because it was broken.
    Love the sound.

@426 Hemistage 8

Veyronman likes this.
  22. That interior.