Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Discussion in '1999 Blitz Skyline GT-R R348' started by kav, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Supra!

2. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Skyline. Don't make threads unless you can post something to go w/ it other than "Supra!"

3. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Yeah, and we can thow in a Radical SR3 Turbo to show the Japenese tuners just where they are at, way behind! :)

4. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Stock, probably the Supra on the drag, and the Skyline on the track. Modified, Skyline on the drag, Skyline on the track.

5. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

i don't know about the American model, but the Jap model supra only does about 13.5 for the quarter, compared to high 12's for the GTR

6. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

all stock its anyones guess. ive seen plenty of races between rx7s gtrs evos and nsxs on kazaa. i think i diff car won every time. but fully modded i'd give it to the gtr cuz of the awd. i think a 1000+ hp supra would oversteer like crazy.

7. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

i meant around a track not in a straight line.

8. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

its hard to say...depends what kind of perfomance u want

9. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

On Track:Skyline
    On DriftinŽ:RX-7
    On Losing:Supra

10. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

this depends on the level of tune.

the skyline and supra have it when its comes to gross power. both have bulletproof engines and have designs that are capable of extreme power gains with slight modification and get take a lot of boost on stock internals. estimates by top secret actually place the skyline and supra about parallel when it comes to how strong the engine is.

however both skyline and supra are not very agile cars. both are very heavy and bulky and would not fare as well as a tuned rx7 would on a very twisty road course. however on a track with sizeable straights the skyline and supra would have domination. which brings it to thelsat point.

the skyline has ATTESA-AWD and super HICAS four wheel steering. four wheel steering is often removed on track cars because it is heavy and complicated and is not ideal for track use. ATTESA-AWD would give it advantage when it comes to grip and powering out of corners. i would give a nod in the skyline's direction just because of hte electronic trickery dominance it has over the supra and because its engine can churn out similar levels of power. the only thing the supra has over the skyline (at least in the United States) is price and availability.

the rx7 when it comes to a usuable car is not as reliable (overheating issues due to twin turbo rotary) and would not fare well in repeated track abuse as its rivals. serious modification to the cooling systems would be needed and removal of the complicated and restrictive twin turbo set up in favor for a single turbo would be needed. however the rx7 is more nimble, lighter, and better balanced than its more powerful rivals.

now i raise the question.
    why is it that only these three cars are compared?

A tuned Nissan Silvia would fare very well on the track and can make enough power to be serious contender on the track and a modified NSX would be very good competition for all three of these cars.
    the NSX is hte lone real exotic to arrive out of Japan. the type-S zero can match the stock R34 skyline in terms of 1/4 mile performance. to boot, the nsx is a very dependable car and has a plethora of aftermarket parts. it is very balanced, light, comfortable, exclusive, and is visuallly very appealing. it suffers from none of the weaknesses of the skyline, supra, OR rx7 and can make serious power with the addition of any number of available superchargers or turbochargers. (let's remember on the track the 700+hp seen by supras and skylines is not really a feasible option on a great number of tracks).

the NSX would actually be the most versatile track car/all-around performer. however of the given three in this forum i would select the skyline.

11. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Quote form SkylineMan
    Stock, probably the Supra on the drag, and the Skyline on the track. Modified, Skyline on the drag, Skyline on the track.

I agree with you mostly, but I think modded right the Skyline could be good on both drag and track. Supra would still be pretty good for drag.

12. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

skyline....ive seen a stock sktline (and it was an r33 too) kick a supra's nuts......but dont get me wrong i love supras too,my friends got one

13. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

damn straight

14. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

when are they stop making soupped versions of the skyline? the skyline is a very nice car, but all these done up ones are thesame, apart from the graphics on them.

15. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

You can't really ask "what is the better car". For the simple fact that there are different factory versions of each. They have a regular R34, an R34 NUR. Then you have a RX-7 type RZ, a spirit R, and the FDRX-7. Then you have the single and the twin turbo models of the supra. Not to mention how many engines choices you can make with the supra and rx-7. but if you are going for the best performing all around engine from each that you can get from the factory. The R34 anyday. The technology is better, the awd is going to give you a better like jump, and also it will make it handle better trackwise. Plus the supra is a bad line car, the rear of the car actually is to light to keep on the ground and keep traction. but for practicality... definitely the RX-7, i dont know why maybe because 2 of my friends have them, or maube just because they are a better car for everyday street driving. Who knows. But everyone has their own opinions. So write back let me know what you think.

16. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

well i own askyline r33 gtr and i choped supras and rx7s and my cars stock

so supras dont stand a chance to my beasttttt

17. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

The skyline is a much better looking car and it would win on pretty much every category you pitted it against these cars in. Stock, thats a different story all together.

18. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

Skyline's are big and slugish, those things are very heavy no wonder why it has 4WD i say the Supra

19. Re: Ultimate Japan Showdown: Skyline vs. Supra vs. RX7

The skyline and supra are well known you can screw the RX7 every one knows if you slap a turbo charger and a can of NOZ on a skyline its invincable, plus a nice stock skyline can squeez up to around 300hp alone.