USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Discussion in '1988 Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette' started by JHens, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

no Germany and Italy is the king of speed!!!!

2. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

Tim - Maybe I was wrong in that it was Can-am.

porschedude - It appears that they arn't.

3. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

excuse me, but the reference to the Ameritech Mclaren F1 is not true
    the company AAmeritech simply makes the f1 legal in the US and in doing so brings the top speed down from 240mph to a mere 217mph!!!! u guys have to learn these things!!!!!!!!! wow, peace

you have to learn that NO Mclaren can do 240 mph , one because that speed was reached with the stock rev-limiter removed by Mclaren and the speed of 240.1 mph was reached at 8500 rpms , and all the road cars are redline limited to 7500 rpms , so its impossible for any road car to do 240.1 mph and Ameritech did NOT de-tune the motor.

4. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

yes Ameritech did, they had to put on a larger cat back system, and added weight with more airbags, so in fact u r wrong, and the top speed reached for the production version was 231mph, the prototype XP5 was the one which reached 240mph, learn!!!! peace<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

yes Ameritech did, they had to put on a larger cat back system, and added weight with more airbags, so in fact u r wrong, and the top speed reached for the production version was 231mph, the prototype XP5 was the one which reached 240mph, learn!!!! peace

I love how you say i'm wrong but offer NO evidence as to how i'm wrong i read every article on the Ameritech Mclaren F1 and NO where does it say it altered the engine or added air-bags and since when does air-bags weigh so much? lol and you show me one single magazine where any customer Mclaren F1 was driven to a top speed of 231 mph ,prove me wrong if you can, the Mclaren that did 231 mph was the XP5 and not 1 of the 100 customer cars.

6. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

the XP5 was the one that did 240mph, the car u r questioning was tested at the nardo high speed test ring, i have it in a book, at home in the bahamas, i am in university in canada, so i cant tell u who, but it was called supercars, and i am not all about praise for the Mclaren, if u look closely at some of my other posts regarding the car i say it needs better handling!!!! but anyway, u only know of the one driven by mario andretti, that was the only official, and the airbags dont weigh much, but the cat back system does, so u go and put on a catback system and see how much it affects a high performance car, and if u say it wont then it has a perfect engine, but still, peace<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

the XP5 was the one that did 240mph, the car u r questioning was tested at the nardo high speed test ring, i have it in a book, at home in the bahamas, i am in university in canada, so i cant tell u who, but it was called supercars, and i am not all about praise for the Mclaren, if u look closely at some of my other posts regarding the car i say it needs better handling!!!! but anyway, u only know of the one driven by mario andretti, that was the only official, and the airbags dont weigh much, but the cat back system does, so u go and put on a catback system and see how much it affects a high performance car, and if u say it wont then it has a perfect engine, but still, peace

I know all about the XP5 its one of Mclarens Experimental Prototypes and that is the car that reached 231 mph at Nardo and it was also the same car that did 240.1 mph at the VW test track in Germany and for the 240.1 mph run its rev-limiter was removed and it reached that speed at 8500 rpms . i have known about the XP5 since August 1994 when Car and Driver did a road test , and they quoted Autocar & Motors acceleration numbers and it quotes the XP5 as redline limited top speed as 221 mph , and the XP5 is faster obviously they any of the 100 customer Mclarens F1 road cars , becuase the best one has gone is 217.7 mph , and again i read two seperate articles in Road & Track and neither list Ameritech as doing ANYTHING to the motor , they removed the passengers seats because like of air-bags , they added appropriate height bumpers , and the replaced the round headlights with square ones , and they owner after purchase can remove all the things that Ameritech did , and they say most do.

8. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

USA is da king of speed but speed aint everything... Handling, Acceleration and Looks are also importand... When and where r u gonna get in a FUCKEN race that is faster than 200MPH or even 175????

9. Re: USA IS THE KING OF SPEED.

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Psyclone</i>
    <b>not being nasty or anything, i love the corps and all, but dont they teach you how to spell. honestly, all the respect in the world to you guys, but i thought marines were smart as well as tough. i know the army are a bunch of pansy-boys, but hey...
    oh, and on the subject of killing, i have to disagree. read bravo two zero and compare that to black hawk down. 100 rangers + delta + helicopter gunship support = 5000 injured/500 killed vs 1 SAS patrol = 200 killed.
    and the US cant fight without ketchup!
    but hey, this is about cars.
    modified cars never count for anything, you can tune an old 70's muscle car to 900hp+, stick NOS on board, or even go for an alky-fuelled monstrosity. if the idea is to discuss speed/handling then it's better to stick to base production models, otherwise you just end up talking poop.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Could someone explain where that came from?