VTEC Mini features in Grassroots Motorsports

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by valcom111t, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Funny how that page has a referral link to a webhost, even though he claims not to "suck up" to them. Whatever works, I guess.

Nice site overall otherwise - lots of pictures and good commentary.

2. mid engine? boooO!

3. Damn that mini looks awesome

4. It's nice. I'd prefer a normal Mini as a track toy.

5. That guy works for general atomics.

This is the best part of the site:

Designing and building a car will truly enlighten you to the word “compromise.” Sometimes it is the realization that you can’t afford titanium wheels, sometimes it is the indecisiveness of where to place the roll-centers. You have to play an endless game of “give and take” in order to get the thing built. If you don’t, you risk getting the dreaded “Design paralysis: The inability to make any decision whatsoever because of numerous conflicting issues.” This can also lead to the belief that, when the car is done, one or more of the following scenarios will occur:

Pushing it out of the garage for the very first time reveals that in your excitement, you neglected to put in brake fluid. This causes your car to coast down the driveway, across the street, and into the neighbor’s yard -- the neighbor who is upset about the loud banging sounds and blinding blue-white light coming from your garage late at night.

Pushing it out of the garage for the very first time reveals that you have the steering rack installed such that a right turn is left. (This can actually happen.)

After getting it all done a friend casually says “You know, for all that work and money, you should’ve just bought a used Viper,” and you agree.

After spending months making the perfect design decisions, people tell you how they would have done it, and you realize their ideas are superior to yours.

After putting it into gear for the very first time and popping the clutch, you realize your custom shift linkage cause Reverse to be where First should be.

After doing all the calculations, including multiplying in your safety factor, the very first pothole you hit causes a wheel to break off.

At the first event you enter, you are squarely beaten by a Honda Civic driven by a kid wearing baggy pants, crew cut, and backward baseball hat.

You take your car to The Big Event. You notice some guy looking at your car, shaking his head, and you realize it’s Carroll Smith. He comes over and casually asks, “Is this yours?” “Um, yes… sir.” He asks, “Why did you build it this way, what were you thinking, and this, this here, it’s all wrong, and that over there is in single shear. Didn’t you read any of my books?”

In spite of all this… I pressed on… besides, the odds of meeting Carroll Smith must be really low…