VTEC

Discussion in '2002 Honda Civic Type-R' started by fenix4116, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from civichatch</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b>Why do all the freaks always refer to nitrous oxide as "NOS"? NOS is not the technical term for nitrous and it's not the chemical composition. "NOS" is a nothing more than a BRAND NAME owned by Holley Performance. There are other manufacturers as well. STOP CALLING NITROUS OXIDE NOS!

I don't know why that bugs me so much.

Food for thought: How much money do you think Holley Performance paid to the producers of Fast & Furious?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

“N”itrous “O”xide “S”ystem

Personally, I don’t think any money was given or taken to advertise! Who would pass up the opportunity for FREE advertisement?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    You don't think any money was exchanged? That is another way movies make money! In Tomorrow Never Dies, James Bond has an Ericsson cellular phone. I'm not exactly certain (bad memory) but I read that they paid something like $500,000 for their phone to be used. Producers go and have auctions for spots in their movies, and sometimes the bids become higher than Super Bowl commercial time.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from F1LM My Car</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from civichatch</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b>Why do all the freaks always refer to nitrous oxide as "NOS"? NOS is not the technical term for nitrous and it's not the chemical composition. "NOS" is a nothing more than a BRAND NAME owned by Holley Performance. There are other manufacturers as well. STOP CALLING NITROUS OXIDE NOS!

I don't know why that bugs me so much.

Food for thought: How much money do you think Holley Performance paid to the producers of Fast & Furious?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

“N”itrous “O”xide “S”ystem

Personally, I don’t think any money was given or taken to advertise! Who would pass up the opportunity for FREE advertisement?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    You don't think any money was exchanged? That is another way movies make money! In Tomorrow Never Dies, James Bond has an Ericsson cellular phone. I'm not exactly certain (bad memory) but I read that they paid something like $500,000 for their phone to be used. Producers go and have auctions for spots in their movies, and sometimes the bids become higher than Super Bowl commercial time.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

When was the last time you saw a TV advertisement for NOS or some of the other parts that were in that movie? We aren’t talking about multibillion dollar corporations here. I understand what you are saying though. I just gave my opinion, like I was asked to do.

SeansVette:
    I still don’t agree with you on the semiconductor issue and I’m not going to discuss it any more. Just leave it at that!!

3. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from civichatch</i>
    <b>

SeansVette:
    I still don’t agree with you on the semiconductor issue and I’m not going to discuss it any more. Just leave it at that!!
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And I still say that if you thought you had a leg to stand on, you WOULD still discuss it. Just leave it at that!!<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from civichatch</i>
    <b>

SeansVette:
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

And I still say that if you thought you had a leg to stand on, you WOULD still discuss it. Just leave it at that!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Think that if you will! I know the difference and that’s all the matters! Why do you continue to try and prove yourself? No one CARES, including me! I just wanted to see how far you would take things (playing games).

5. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

You cared enough to talk five pages worth of sh1t. Calling me a moron, saying I don't know my own job, typing "LOL", etc. But I provide you with EIGHT dictionary definitions showing BOTH meanings, THREE different articles which refer to ICs as semiconductors, one of which actually says "Integrated circuits are also called semiconductors."

All of the sudden you don't care and you want to drop it. My, how convenient.

If I carried on about something and even insulted someone, and they proved me wrong, I would not only admit it I would apologize for being such an azzhole. But you don't even have the spine to do that. You just say, "I still think I'm right, drop it."

Before you tell ME to drop it, you might want to take a look at the five pages of bullshxt that YOU wrote. <!-- Signature -->

6. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

Now you want to argue about the argument we had! You never going to shut up are you? I'm man enough to let things go, you can’t even do that!

7. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<b>Now you want to argue about the argument we had! You never going to shut up are you? I'm man enough to let things go, you can’t even do that! </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You're man enough to let things go only when I prove you wrong beyond any doubt. Like I said, how convenient.

How much of a man were you being when you sat there and talked five pages of sh1t? Now that I've proved you wrong you're pretending to "be a man and let it go"?

If weasling your way out because you're stuck on stupid is "being a man", then you must be the biggest MAN on this forum. <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

If you two want to argue over who's wrong could you maybe start a thread just for it? It's taking up space here, and personally I don't care which of you is wrong.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

Sorry F1LM,
    It's just that azzholes are bad enough, but I have no tolerance for azzholes that are also spineless.

By the way, your name does look like "Film My Car" LOL. That's why people keep calling you that. I'm surprized you didn't catch that when you made it. <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SeansVette</i>
    <b>Sorry F1LM,
    It's just that azzholes are bad enough, but I have no tolerance for azzholes that are also spineless.

By the way, your name does look like "Film My Car" LOL. That's why people keep calling you that. I'm surprized you didn't catch that when you made it. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Well people have said that before, and I realized it after I had about 150 posts. I didn't really care and I didn't want to bother coming up with a new name so I left it.<!-- Signature -->

11. #36 civichatch, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<b>Sorry F1LM,

By the way, your name does look like "Film My Car" LOL. That's why people keep calling you that. I'm surprized you didn't catch that when you made it. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I’m not spineless you DICK! I just don’t want to waste space typing about shit that we are never going to agree on, I did post in the old forum just for you though. Don’t bring it up again in the other forums!

http://www.supercars.net/cMsg?viewThread=true&year=2002&make=Nissan&model=Skyline%20R34%20GT-R%20Nur&fn=124&bottom=75

12. In an older issue of "Motorcyclist" I just read an interesting bit about VTEC and how it applies to one of Honda's new sportsbikes. It's not as exactly the same as in the newer cars, but close enuff.

(Bear in mind, that the Motorcyclist staff usually loves Honda bikes).

"although, architecturally the same as the outgoing powerplant, the new one comes with new heads with a version of Honda's VTEC, a variable valve scheme that keeps two of four valves in each comb. chamber closed until 7000rpm. Honda's "revolutionary" system is ostensibly to bolster low end torque without sacrificing high end power. But overlay the dyno graphs of new and old VFR800s and you'll see that instead the new bike has a marked flat spot between 5 and 7 grand. When the VTEC opens the other 8 valves, the torque curve shoots up, gaining 5 pound-feet in 500 rpm. So rather than fulfilling the promise of a beefy two-valve per jug torque curve. VTEC strangles the engine in midrange, and provides a cynical little hit at 7 grand to make the engine feel lively..."

However, it goes on to say that VTEC helps w/ emissions.
    "You don't pollute much if the engine is run extremely lean, and the swirl effect VTEC provides - by ingesting air through one of the two intake valves per cylinder, the mixture circles the bowl before it's fire off - permits more reliable comb. @ v. lean mixtures."

"We suspect Power Commanders and other dohickeys to work around the VTEC nonsense will be popular..."

The article further states that despite the "promise of VTEC and fuel-saving injection programming..." the test bike returned poorer mileage than the non-Vtec equipped 2000 model.

Another tester compared VTEC to the turbo buttons on older computers: "push it and a light comes on" but theres no "discernible effect."

However, the testers did say that the engine sounds good (naturally) when the VTEC comes "on" at 7K.
    And they add: "Note how the VTEC engine's torque trace [referring to the torque curve" jumps as the other 8 valves open at 7. At least this trick makes the bike FEEL fast."

And to think, I used to be taken in by this VTEC "nonsense." (However, I haven't heard a VTEC car - or bike spin towards redline, so I can't judge whether there are any aural merits). <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: NOS for a Honda CR-V!!!

<b>You cared enough to talk five pages worth of sh1t. Calling me a moron, saying I don't know my own job, typing "LOL", etc. But I provide you with EIGHT dictionary definitions showing BOTH meanings, THREE different articles which refer to ICs as semiconductors, one of which actually says "Integrated circuits are also called semiconductors."

All of the sudden you don't care and you want to drop it. My, how convenient.

If I carried on about something and even insulted someone, and they proved me wrong, I would not only admit it I would apologize for being such an azzhole. But you don't even have the spine to do that. You just say, "I still think I'm right, drop it."

Before you tell ME to drop it, you might want to take a look at the five pages of bullshxt that YOU wrote. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    A huge argument over 5 pages over IC's being called semiconductors? This is a car site. Here's my tuppence worth:-
    IC's are also called semiconductors! Anyone that wants to disagree can talk to my friend that is doing a degree on just that!