Wanna know why the wing was so big?

Discussion in '1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird 440' started by tumblerman, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Well i heard that in order to open the trunk the wing had to be so tall, and of course it was a great stabilizer(why didnt they put the wing on the trunk lid is past me). These babys could hit over 200mph not 142mph, come on supercars.net get in the game with all this wrong specs stuff.

2. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

Tumblerman is right: the main reason is the trunk. The 'Bird's cousin, the Charger Daytona, had a lower wing, and restraining devices had to be welded to the trunk lid hinges to prevent the lid from destroying the wing as the trunk lid came up. This also made the trunk difficult to reach in and out of. Plymouth learned from this lesson. Also, that wing could have been set at any height and would have produced the same amount of downforce. Plymouth had it placed up high to visually intimidate the competition.

3. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

Sure the wing was a great stabilizer, but did it really run 200mph? With 425hp?

4. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

YES SO DID THE DAYTONA THE HP RATING IS NOT RIGHT FOR SOME REASON IT WAS MORE LIKE 470 TO 490 WITH THE HEMI. THE DAYTONA RAN 210.3 AT THE SALT LAKES IN 1960 SOMTHING THE FRIST STREET LEGAL 200 MPH SUPERCAR.

5. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

I heard that too, as a matter of fact I read it in a book this car was capable of speeds access of 200 mph! That is an amazing car for it's time.

6. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

The listed top speed of 142.9 and 425 hp are the correct factory numbers. These muscle cars were usually limited by transmission/rearend ratios not horsepower and wind drag. Horsepower ratings for the hemis were understated by Mopar in order to meet insurance requirements. Actual horsepower for the 426 hemi was around 480 hp(at the engine, not the wheels). This car is a great piece of history. Although the picture is crap, the color, limelight I think, is one of the most famous(and best!) for plymouths muscle car era.

7. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

this model can only hit 142. the NASCAR models were much lighter and had 600hp. but it is easy to mod these to 600+ hp.

8. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

I don't know anything about the top speed of this beast, but what I do know is that the wing didn't go on the trunk because at high speeds the trunk lid would bend downwards because of the wind. That's why these moron import guys with the big wings are stupid. Any intelligent import driven person either doesn't have a big wing or they do not drive it at high speeds. The idiot says, "It looks cool," goes out, buys the big wing, puts it on, and drives at high speeds. Then, he wonders why his trunk lid is beginning to warp.

9. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

It was a stock car.

10. Re: Wanna know why the wing was so big?

Absolutley right.

11. this thing I think is way too long for how high it is off the ground