Watch what you name your kid

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by marcusmv3, Aug 12, 2013.

1. #1 marcusmv3, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Cocke County, lol

3. there was a similar thing from NZ a few years back...there were a bunch of ridiculous examples given, the one that sticks out to me is a couple that named their twins Benson and Hedges.

4. That's cute, she probably smoked that brand during her pregnancy. Or maybe Phillip Morris paid her off.

Either way you should be able to name your kid whatever the **** you want.

5. i understand why the judge did it, that's the bible belt and it'll protect the kid, but i don't understand how he has that authority.

in the end it's a good thing though. kids with stupid names get treated like they're stupid and it hinders their ability to achieve.

6. Is she ordering people not to name their children Jesus?

7. levon likes his money

8. Someone should name their kid Allah.
    I wanna see what happens

9. I agree. As big as I am on personal freedoms, I see this as adversely affecting the child.

10. was the baby conceive at the PFK, after Sunday morning church?

11. Yeah that seems all well and good until you read on later in the judge's statement,

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ."

The mother is appealing the ruling...

12. Ee, that also is all good and well...

13. I always enjoy how inconsistent hard right types are with personal freedoms.

"Hey now, we need the courts to stop this kid from having a silly name!! He might get teased and show up at his school dressed in body armor and shoot it up with a couple semi-auto Glocks he bought on the Internet"

14. that's what i get for not reading the whole article. i got the vibe of, "i'm doing this to protect the kid from bigots," from the first half

15. The part of the story that seems to be missing from the Marcus / Facebook version of events is that they were in court in the first place because the parents couldn't decide on a LAST name.

And the judge didn't change the kids first name because it offended her as a Christian. She changed it because she felt it would cause issues for the child down the road, and she's probably right.

16. "The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ."

17. Take it easy Michael Moore, you missed this whole bite:

"The judge in Cocke County said the name Messiah could cause the boy difficulties if he grew up in a predominantly Christian area.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said."

18. You could also argue that this affects another individual, not ones personal freedom.

19. Sounds like a pretty poor argument.

20. People should be able to name their kids whatever the **** they want. The fact that the trial was only supposed to be over the last name to begin with only makes it worse.

21. yet all the muslim kids are called mohammed

22. And all the Mexican kids are called Jesus

23. that too

24. She should have left out the Jesus comment. That's not her place.

25. As a judge, she should know better. As a judge in Tennessee, I'm not surprised.