weight

Discussion in '1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe' started by 51coronet, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Does it realy only weigh 2851 lbs? Light for a 1955 luxury car. 2 thumbs up.

2. Re: weight

That is pretty light. Today's cars are so heavy 'cause of all the standard features (and safety features). It seems that one can't buy a stripped down version of anything anymore. Like if you wanted to buy a truck that you just use for hauling stuff on the weekends, you can't buy a stripped down work-truck, unless you step up to the "heavy duty" trucks. Sorry, I got a little off the subject.

3. Re: weight

Man, I am not sure if this is a luxury car or a pure sports car.

If it is a luxury car, then 2800 lbs is really light back in those days' standards. But if it's a sports car, then 2800lbs is way too heavy back in those days' standards.

4. Re: weight

That's what SL stands for - Super Light.
    It's sad that the new "Super Light" cars now weigh over 2 tons...

5. Re: weight

WHY SHOULD I POST A REPLIE THIS IS SO SHITTT<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: weight

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lamboboy</i>
    <b>WHY SHOULD I POST A REPLIE THIS IS SO SHITTT</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think what he is trying to say is that "why should i post a reply, this (car) is so shitty." To which i reply, just shut up you are embarrassing yourself insulting a car like this, and if you werent 6 years old you would realize how good this car is.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: weight

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from turbo power</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Lamboboy</i>
    <b>WHY SHOULD I POST A REPLIE THIS IS SO SHITTT</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think what he is trying to say is that "why should i post a reply, this (car) is so shitty." To which i reply, just shut up you are embarrassing yourself insulting a car like this, and if you werent 6 years old you would realize how good this car is.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

as i wrote b4, why bother...<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: weight

cool car and yes it is quite light, i mean this is motoring heritage and all that know this car just don't know what they are talking about, beautiful car>
    later<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: weight

240 bhp is quite a lot for an old 3 litre car as well, I really like these vehicles. Also, "why should I post a reply, this car is so shittt"? you said it yourself, why post a reply? especially one which is so "shittt"!

10. Re: weight

CJL?? wtf? what are you talking about, if you just said this car is shit i think thats what uv'e got for brains mate!!loser>>
    later<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: weight

I was replying in regard to Lamboboy's comment "This car is so shittt!", read it and you'll see that I said I really liked these cars and complimented it...

12. Re: weight

HEY!!!!!!! Try reading the specifications before shooting your mouths off. Space frame...Space frame equals less weight. Anyone of 'yall ever wondered why it has gullwings? Because of the space frame. The frame took up the area that would have normally been the door frame. Anyway, try learning a little about the cars before hand, and honestly, if you have a serious question, keep it serious. This forum started off quite well, then a few losers had to be complete assholes and destroy what ever symblance of civility it had. The answer is that the 300SL hardtops used space frames, while the convertibles used normal frames. Look at the weight difference between the two. I can't quite explain the difference, besides the fact that a normal frrame comprises two main members, while the space frame is composed of multiple cross-members and joints.

13. Re: weight

Heavy cars is an invention of the last 20 years...

14. Re: weight

I don't get it... lower weight of cars give also lower fuel consumption (what the government wants), but what is the reason that the cars of today are getting heavier?