what happened to the topspeed?????????

Discussion in '2005 Mosler MT900 S' started by FireBird175, Feb 18, 2003.

1. its terrible but the accelerations good

2. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

This has been repeated many a time, but here goes.

The car pictured here is an underpowered, overweight prototype. The finished model will have 435 hp, weigh 1900lbs, and have a topspeed of over 200mph.

3. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

In addition, it was running a stock Corvette computer, which wasn't reprogrammed for the car, AND Car And Driver never did an actual top speed test, they only "calculated" it, and based it off the Corvette computer limits.

The same basic car in Grand Am GT spec, ran 189mph at Daytona (this would be the 'Mach Go Go' MT900R running JGTC now).

4. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

it only has 345hp, it's good for the horse power. The Acceration is extrodanary

5. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

I dont think so....maybe the car really is such slow....

6. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Trust me, it isn't. How could a car with 30 more hp and a huge aerodynamic advantage over the Corvette Z06 actually manage some 20mph slower?

7. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

limiter maybe?

8. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

A limiter could have been what happened to all the speed this thing should get...

9. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

10. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Once again, the Photon will go over 200mph. Wait until the REAL version is REALLY tested. 200mph should be more than enough for anyone.

11. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

The Photon has a Hewland gearbox, so it can be regeared to whatever speed is desired.

12. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Exactly. The top speed will be drag limited, and I'm sure this car has a low coefficient of drag. You wouldn't happen to know what it is, would you?

13. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

The only windtunnel, and CFD work that has been done with the car, has been in MT900R trim, ie high downforce versions. Thus, not really good numbers for the non-winged Photon.

14. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Ever seen the MT900R's race in the GT class at IMSA races? They're pretty awesome! (Even if the Ferrari 360GT's and Porsche 911RS's still beat them). Of the models Mosler has made, this is by far the best one IMP.

15. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

That is really close to the actual Mosler's real top speed. The only problem with the Mosler is that it has so much downforce, it can't reach a high top speed. Motor Trend did a top speed test recently in its June 2003 issue, and Mosler's downforce was too much to overcome for its engine.

16. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

The Mosler MT900R in GTS trim has run over 190mph, in essentially the same aero package as the Photon, and weighs 300lbs more. The differences being the tire diameter (Photons tires had a smaller dia), and possibly the gearing in the Hewland gearbox.

I know the Photon can run 190mph, if setup right, but since its a streetcar, it was setup to be quick, and nimble, which is more useful on the street.

17. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Motor trend has already tested the photon, it couldnt hit 200, or near, regardless it could be tuned to surpass 190, possibly...i believe tesstaron88, or something like that(lol) said it was the june issue, which i have somewhere...

18. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Can some1 tell me where the hell Mosler came from, I've never heard of the company and they made a car this quick?

19. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Mosler started building cars in 1985, the Consulier GTP. Since then they have built the Intruder, Raptor, Twinstar, and various other side projects.

20. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

o, thanx alot. I'm new and I had never heard of them

21. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

go see what mosler did to a crappy caddy. they put another northstar v8 in the trunk. by the way if you bought one of these for the speed you might want another gearbox. all you people who are crazy about speed should take a look at the acceleration. 0-60 in 3.5 is insane. this also took the slalom test with flying colors. dont believe me? go look at motortrend.

22. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

Hey khari guess what the Photon (finished model) is still slow.
    Topspeed-165mph.

Courtesy to Moter Trend's June issue of SPEEDING!

23. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

It's all a matter of gearing. The Photon they tested was setup to be quick and nimble, which it proved that it was.

24. Re: what happened to the topspeed?????????

actually i think they said it was more a matter of downforce rather than gearing. all that downforce let the car do over 70 in the slalom, but held it back seriously in the top speed portion. it also set the new record for 0-100-0, which i can't remember right now.

25. #25 61caddy, Oct 24, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016