WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

Discussion in '1997 McLaren F1 GT' started by krazyjl, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from brandonpike</i>
    <b>McLaren F1 is the ultimate car. but I would like to see a limited edition mclaren f1 with ballbearing twin turbo(35psi V12 engine with multipoint EFI with cold air induction. maybe with a 85-90mm mass air.
    clutchless 6-speed manual maybe drop the weight from 2690 to 2300.
    a alum block. come with out air conditioning would purge some weight under drive pullys and the engine balanced. heads and intake ported and polished. it could easly make 1000+bhp. I would also like to see that power at 7600 RPM instead of 7400. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

wow.. i dont think ive read another post spitting out more uneducated bullshit... but at least this guy has a grasp of some terms.. feels like im watching that scene in F&F where the guy is describing the green eclipse's mods... a two stage nos fogger kit and direct injection =)

anyway, you'd never run 35 psi on that engine w/o detonation, the compression ratio would have to be lowered, and you couldn't fit turbos given how the intake manifold is mounted (at least not without a LOT of modification), adding turbos and intercoolers to cool the 35psi boost would ADD a LOT of weight (100lbs+), exhaust systems would have to be relocated and the engine compartment looks pretty cramped already.

a clutchless 6-speed... what the hell is that? i think a semi-automatic 6-speed (paddle shifter like the modena 360) is what you are looking for. it has a clutch, it's just operated by a computer.

where are you going to lose 390 lbs, especially if you add turbos and an air conditioner?

i think the block is aluminum already, not too sure but Gordon murray was obsessed with weight so I'm sure he would have required it for his engine.

what difference does 7600 vs. 7400 make? thats only 200rpms

2. Re: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

Ok, you dont have a clue what the McLaren is about. The McLaren is not a turbo car, the designer did not want turbos. Adding turbos would make the car larger, the v-12 is very compact and everything is shrink wrapped around it, no room for turbos. Why add turbos they ruin the experience of the car. Turbos are great on little four cylinder that have no torque, but this car is a 6.1L v-12, it has all the power it needs. Adding more power would disrupt the cars balance.

3. Re: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

The only thing that i wanna see different about mclaren is that i have one in my garage

4. McLaren F1 is the ultimate car. but I would like to see a limited edition mclaren f1 with ballbearing twin turbo(35psi V12 engine with multipoint EFI with cold air induction. maybe with a 85-90mm mass air.
    clutchless 6-speed manual maybe drop the weight from 2690 to 2300.
    a alum block. come with out air conditioning would purge some weight under drive pullys and the engine balanced. heads and intake ported and polished. it could easly make 1000+bhp. I would also like to see that power at 7600 RPM instead of 7400.

5. Re: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

that would be nice. no offence, but no air conditioning? McLaren wanted to make this the ultamate DRIVER'S car. if they took that out, then it wouldn't meet their own standards.

6. Re: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

alot of cars come stock without airconditioning fro weight reasons but you still could get air conditioning installed at the dealership. also who would care how hot it is if your driving at over 200mph. you would have enough natural air conditioning. people who drive these types of cars dont drive them as a daily driver anyways.

7. Re: WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FROM A MCLAREN F1

It doesn't need anything, especially not more power.<!-- Signature -->