what if inline 6 was kept?.....

Discussion in '1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo' started by 1982vwrabbit, Aug 10, 2002.

1. this is an awsome car with the v-6 that it has, but does anyone think they should have stuck with the orignal I-6???

2. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

Yes, keeping the I6 would've been a great idea. On the other hand, it's rather long and tall. For the most part, most high-performance straight-6's reside in sedan-type cars (BMW M3, Nissan Skyline), TVR Tuscan notwithstanding. The V6 allows for a rather compact engine compartment and short hood area. Of course, there may also be technical considerations, not just aesthetic ones.

3. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

Yup, an I6 has dimensions that are similar to a v12 in length.

4. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

Yes the V6 does allow for a shorter front (I never realized how short it was till I saw it upclose), but the downside is the Z needs two of everything. Thus its quite a expensive car to mod compared to the Supra because instead of having buy one BOV you'll need two, and etc. Another thing is the engine compartment is cramped as hell!<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Guibo</i>
    <b>Yes, keeping the I6 would've been a great idea. On the other hand, it's rather long and tall. For the most part, most high-performance straight-6's reside in sedan-type cars (BMW M3, Nissan Skyline), TVR Tuscan notwithstanding. The V6 allows for a rather compact engine compartment and short hood area. Of course, there may also be technical considerations, not just aesthetic ones.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

actually its easier to put out more torque in a I6 than a V6 so yeah I6 all the way.

6. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

correct me if im wrong but the v6 will rev out faster than the i6 and the i6 is probably heavier but makes more torque because of the extra crank journals right

7. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from kdx357</i>
    <b>correct me if im wrong but the v6 will rev out faster than the i6 and the i6 is probably heavier but makes more torque because of the extra crank journals right</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i don't know what you mean by "rev out" but an I-6 is a better design to have a high redline because it's internally balanced. I-6's are heavy, V-6's are more compact and lighter. about torque, i don't know but i don't see why they shoudlnt make similar torque figures

8. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

but you see the fact is that in a V-6/F-6 engine it has pistons on the other side so it will have more bottom end force and it can handle more power because of it, they also do really rev higher becasuse of the opposite force.

9. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

Yea, a I6 would be nice, but nissan wanted to keep up with competitors and they saw that V6's were becoming more and more popular, and if i am not mistaken, if you get it form japan, it may have an I6, because some were msade that way, the V6 in 96 was almost purly american<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: what if inline 6 was kept?.....

If they kept the inline 6 the car would be longer and heavier.
    This car is made to go fast with exellent handling.
    The car is now out of production but the new one will be nicer and faster. De Z Fairlaidy 2003 model will have a V6 with 280hp and a topspeed around 260km/h.