What If...

Discussion in '2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RZ' started by krazyjl, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: What If...

it would be a lot heavier, thats what

one of the biggest advantages of the rx-7 is that it's so light and balanced, it handles like a dream. a huge 4-rotor engine would mess things up

you can get over 500hp from a 2-rotor anyway, some modified rotaries have as much as 700 but they aren't very streetable.

2. Re: What If...

Hence why even the 3-rotor really needs to be pushed back for even weight distribution. 1000hp is achievable with that combo....

3. Re: What If...

There already is a 4 rotor rx7. In le mans it was the only japanese car to win lemans.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: What If...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReDLinEPoRsChE</i>
    <b>There already is a 4 rotor rx7. In le mans it was the only japanese car to win lemans.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That car was an LMP (Le Mans Prototype), that amazing 4 Rotor engine, while essentially a doubled up 13B(RX7 engine), was never in any production car. The biggest production rotary from Mazda was the 20B
    2 litre, 3 rotor engine from the Japanese market Cosmo.
    By the way, i hear that was one hell of an engine with lotsa low end torque(in a rotary?!?)

5. #5 1q2w3e, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: What If...

yeah the good old 20B! its currently in one of the quickest street rotors in australia at www.rotormaster.com.au

I think the series 6 with it ran an 7.88 last week or the week before.

6. Re: What If...

Peter Farrell Supercars sells an RX7 with a highly tuned 20B in the USA, an article in Car & Driver lists it at 600 bhp and 450 lb-ft. I'd buy one, but my wallet isn't 80 thousand dollars deep.

7. Re: What If...

Cool I didnt Noe That<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: What If...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Roundels4ever</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReDLinEPoRsChE</i>
    <b>There already is a 4 rotor rx7. In le mans it was the only japanese car to win lemans.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That car was an LMP (Le Mans Prototype), that amazing 4 Rotor engine, while essentially a doubled up 13B(RX7 engine), was never in any production car. The biggest production rotary from Mazda was the 20B
    2 litre, 3 rotor engine from the Japanese market Cosmo.
    By the way, i hear that was one hell of an engine with lotsa low end torque(in a rotary?!?)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i doubt the low end torque thing

it's peripheral ported - those things make next to zero torque under 6000rpm, but will kick in like it has turbos and become a monster all the way to 12,000 rpm+

peripheral porting was so powerful on race rotary engines that its been banned by a lot of regulations.

9. Re: What If...

IT Was One Hell Of A Engine !
    <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: What If...

they dont now so leave it at that

11. Re: What If...

ok<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: What If...

Actually, the 4 rotor isn't significantly heavier that the 3 rotor or 2 rotor...You'd hav to place the engine differently but it would do it's part. the 767B was 1500 lbs with a 4 rotor..

13. Re: What If...

this one mechanic in the bay area custom built a quad-rotar engine in an rx7 and it ran 10.4 seconds stockk

14. Re: What If...

it was not a LMP, b/c LMP wasn't around back then. another thing is that LMPs have open tops, the 787B, however, does not.

15. Re: What If...

also, it wasn't called a RX-7. its called the 787b and it was a N/A 4 rotor with an output of 700hp

16. Re: What If...

quad rotor engines??? what the hell are you guys talking about....shit that's damn kewl if its true...i want one.....oh ya...torque numbers?? what do you mean they have high torque?? how high?

17. Re: What If...

quad rotor mazdas r strictly for racing.

they produced 840.61 nm / 620.0 ft lbs @ 6500 rpm.

18. Re: What If...

oh and btw, those torque figures came from the 787B

there was another quad rotor mazda that was called the RX-792p and as far as i know only competed at Sebring in 1992. heres sum pics of the RX-792p.

19. Re: What If...

20. Re: What If...

Nice pics

21. Re: What If...

i saw on the internet a guy making a 4 rotor for his car.dont know if it was a cosmo or rx7. what was witht eh guy saying that a quad wouldnt be much heavier that a 2 rotor? obviously it would be heavier,it's twice as big.

22. Too bad Mazda can't make a 3+ rotor Renesis engine.