What If...

Discussion in '2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RZ' started by krazyjl, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: What If...

it would be a lot heavier, thats what

one of the biggest advantages of the rx-7 is that it's so light and balanced, it handles like a dream. a huge 4-rotor engine would mess things up

you can get over 500hp from a 2-rotor anyway, some modified rotaries have as much as 700 but they aren't very streetable.

2. Re: What If...

Hence why even the 3-rotor really needs to be pushed back for even weight distribution. 1000hp is achievable with that combo....

3. Re: What If...

There already is a 4 rotor rx7. In le mans it was the only japanese car to win lemans.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: What If...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReDLinEPoRsChE</i>
    <b>There already is a 4 rotor rx7. In le mans it was the only japanese car to win lemans.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That car was an LMP (Le Mans Prototype), that amazing 4 Rotor engine, while essentially a doubled up 13B(RX7 engine), was never in any production car. The biggest production rotary from Mazda was the 20B
    2 litre, 3 rotor engine from the Japanese market Cosmo.
    By the way, i hear that was one hell of an engine with lotsa low end torque(in a rotary?!?)

5. #5 1q2w3e, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: What If...

yeah the good old 20B! its currently in one of the quickest street rotors in australia at www.rotormaster.com.au

I think the series 6 with it ran an 7.88 last week or the week before.

6. Re: What If...

Peter Farrell Supercars sells an RX7 with a highly tuned 20B in the USA, an article in Car & Driver lists it at 600 bhp and 450 lb-ft. I'd buy one, but my wallet isn't 80 thousand dollars deep.

7. Re: What If...

Cool I didnt Noe That<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: What If...

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Roundels4ever</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ReDLinEPoRsChE</i>
    <b>There already is a 4 rotor rx7. In le mans it was the only japanese car to win lemans.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

That car was an LMP (Le Mans Prototype), that amazing 4 Rotor engine, while essentially a doubled up 13B(RX7 engine), was never in any production car. The biggest production rotary from Mazda was the 20B
    2 litre, 3 rotor engine from the Japanese market Cosmo.
    By the way, i hear that was one hell of an engine with lotsa low end torque(in a rotary?!?)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i doubt the low end torque thing

it's peripheral ported - those things make next to zero torque under 6000rpm, but will kick in like it has turbos and become a monster all the way to 12,000 rpm+

peripheral porting was so powerful on race rotary engines that its been banned by a lot of regulations.

9. Re: What If...

IT Was One Hell Of A Engine !
    <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: What If...

they dont now so leave it at that

11. Re: What If...

ok<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: What If...

Actually, the 4 rotor isn't significantly heavier that the 3 rotor or 2 rotor...You'd hav to place the engine differently but it would do it's part. the 767B was 1500 lbs with a 4 rotor..

13. Re: What If...

The Mazda 787B has four Rotars.