what the hecks an inline-4????

Discussion in '1907 Renault 130HP Grand Prix' started by vwkickbutt, Aug 9, 2002.

1. can someone reply???

2. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

Are you kidding? I'll field your question all the same, it is a four cylinder engine with all the pistons arranged in a line:

Like so:

O O O O

3. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

Most of french engines have been inline configuration and still are.

4. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. Umm an inline 4 cylinder engine is what you find on most compact cars today. It will be transversly mounted though.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vwkickbutt</i>
    <b>can someone reply???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I have to ask. How old are you?<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

Let's say... younger than 12.

7. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

porsche uses boxer engines

8. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

Also known as a flat-6

9. Re: what the hecks an inline-4????

Bmw's use inline engines ... v's vibrate more

10. Re:

"Inline is considered to be superior to the V formation of most engines today. But several respectable cars, such as Porsches and Saabs use inline engines, and they work perfectly"

V formation blocks aren't necessarily inferior, but there's certainly nothing that's simpler and easier to fix/modify than an Inline engine.

Porsches use Horizontally-Opposed motors, which are INCREDIBLY complex (try changing the spark plugs on one to see what I mean), but have their own comparitive advantages. Subaru also uses Horizontally-Opposed (or Flat or Boxer) engines.

11. Re:

yeah i couldn't help laughing either, come on, anyone having minor knowledge about cars knows what an inline is... maybe you've heard "straigh" more often?

12. Re:

Dear TNT... I am so sorry to inform you about your mistake, I am not being critcal, just helping us all to learn from this site. Even I do learn as well. Porche and Saab do not use in-line four cylinder configurations in their powerplants. (there engines) they chose to use opposing fours meaning the engine has 2 cylinders going toward the right and 2 cylinders going to the left they are flat. It's called a flat four specifically for that reason, and SAAB used them in there aeroplanes. That is how they started off as a company in the aeronautics (Planes manufactururing) company. I hope this helped.

The Killer

13. I can't believe it has 4.1 liters per cylinder. That's bigger than the average engine today.