whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by Aych Es Vee, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Being there is always way better, but watching nascar on tv is DEAD BORING. Crap Chevys and fords going round a track with no real skill needed

2. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

guys guys guys (and any girls for that matter)... they're all good, but in different ways! the V8 supercars are better IMO because i live in AUS and i can relate to them... true i know little about NASCAR and thats mainly cos i never found it interesting (mainly cos going around in circles looks boring on TV)...

BOTH series have overly skilled drivers and nice cars... i think the V8 S/C are closer to the cars in shops (at least they have RWD common, i hear most of the NASCAR's are FWD in the shop, thats gotta suck when you see your fav car blasting around the track and then you can only buy a FWD model!!!).

and from what i've seen both races are close as shit, half a mistake and your f***ed

and for the top speed and all the shit half of you have gone on about the engines are relative - they are made for that class - you cant compare them as they are all restricted to keep it racing and not tech power wars. and the gearing changes for the tracks that each series is on on the current track - if V8 supercars were on a oval they would have gearing to go over 200mph as well.. and vice versa for NASCARS on street type tracks

from what i can gather from the net the V8 supercars have faster accelleration between 0-250km/h (which they do most of there racing) and NASCARS are faster after that (for those oval tracks)

Anyway, both series are for promotion of the corresponding cars but the race car mechanicals differ so much from the road cars the it wouldn't matter what the shell looked like, might as well have F1 engines under em, about as similar as the race ones are to production anyway - i'd like to see any of the production car engines be tuned to anywhere as much power as either series' race engines put out!!!

and for anyone that think either of the the series suck, go and race in one!! i think you'll all be blown away by the skill and power of each

3. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

i can give you something better. Bathurst 1000 every year. 10 hour endurance race smelling and seeing all those things but longer combined with a great attitude and a infamous ford vs. holden rivalry... thats only the end of about 4 days of action. (TOP 10 SHOOTOUT ON DAY BEFORE)

But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

LONG LIVE BROCKY 05!!!!

4. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

um r u serious, the V8 supercars r wayyyy better, they rock, the noise of them is amazing and so is there acceleration

5. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I am Australian, and let me tell you this. V8 Supercars suck d***! It's a boring race with no atmosphere and only two cars (Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon)! This is because in the past there were many other cars (Nissans etc.) but the stubborn Australians couldn't accept being beaten by Japanese cars, so they changed the rules so they couldn't compete! Maybe the race has many strong points, but I can't help but find the race boring with only two types of cars in it! Not to mention that these are two companies (just as bad as each other) with a stupid rivalry. I think the race would be much better with a more diverse range of cars; I just hope the rumours are true about a V8 RWD Magna (and possibly Camry) joining the competition, as I think I would really enjoy the competition with these cars!

To you Americans, ignore my fellow Australians!

6. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

v8 supercars rock

7. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I have watched both of the cars and sure, they both have their storng points. Even if a Nascar car had the ability to run well on a road course, Nascar drivers are only proficient at driving in a big left turn. Granted thats the only thing they do, and they are the damn best left turners in the world, but thats all they are. I would put up ANY F1 driver against the best Nascar driver, and i assure you around an actual race course, the F1 driver would win. Im sorry, but driving in circles doesnt excite me.

8. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

bagas, the reason why they took the turbo and european cars out of it was because group a racing was ending. In europe, they took up the 2 litre series, and down here we took up a 5 litre series. It was getting too expensive to run the turbo cars, so they decided to can group a racing. So quit whinging about your skyline gt-r's and they banned them cus they were too good, etc

9. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Put your V8 Supercar up against a Nascar built car on a road course and you don't stand a chance. BTW in Nascar there is only ONE driver per car. Whether the race is a 200 miler all the way up to 600 miles or 1000KLM to you. Nascar uses a 360 Cubic inch engine and it is carborated. No fuel injection or turbos like F1 does. As someone explained before there are only 2 tracks 4 races where Nascar requiers the cars to run with restrictor plates that cut the HP to about 450. Only Nascar likes it . The fans and drivers don't. We want all out 200 MPH+ racing. The plates cut that to about 190 and it takes a car 2 laps/ 5 miles to get up to full speed. Without the plates it would be under a mile. Also Nascar has a series called the Busch Grand National that uses a smaller wheel base and weighs less and uses a smaller carb and same engine size and they go just about as fast if not faster then the Cup cars.

10. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

V8 Supercars are definitely better. Their races are never ovals. They race when it rains. If you ask me, Nascar is the bottom of the motorsports barrel. It's boring to watch a bunch of rednecks chase each other in a circle. Because it's only that, I might as well be watching an episode of "Queer as Folk".

11. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

okay this point, we have an IROC series which is basically Firebirds tuned a little hotter, better handling, etc etc, that run on selected oval tracks, all the cars are equal in speed (they are tested before the race) and its not just NASCAR drivers, we have our best CART and IRL drivers that race alongside our NASCAR drivers, and guess what? the NASCAR drivers win. so in theory, if the road course drivers, CART and IRL are so much more talented because they can turn left and right, why aren't they successful? and Jaun Montoya, F1 driver raced twice i think, never won. now i am not saying that F1 drivers can't drive, they are toally impressive, but lets give credit, NASCAR driver's are talented. you can't dispute that.

12. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Well I guess you have Never watched the Coca Cola 600 in Atlanta. 600 mile race that starts late in the day because the track is to hot to race on durring the day. One driver one car for 1000 Kilometers. You want to talk about endurance? Thats 3400 pounds (US) of car a driver has to tackle. To make things interesting some of the drivers like Tony Stewart and Robbie Gordon have run the Indy 500 race the same day and fly to the track for the 600. Nascar has a rule that if the driver is not at the manditory drivers meeting they have to start all the way at the back. I think it was 2 years ago Tony came in 5th at INDY and then finished in 2nd place at Atlanta. That is a total of 1100 miles in one day.

One thing i did notice while watching a V8SC race on TV is that the annoucers are more boring then the ones from FOX tv here in the US

13. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I take it you have never seen a race from Daytona or Talledega. There are times with the drafting you can have 2 rows of 10-15 cars nose to tail and door to door at 190 MPH for miles at a time looking like a train. These two tracks are the only one Nascar makes the cars run with a restreictor plate to cut the HP to about 450 to keep the cars under 200MPH. The rest of the tracks are unristricted and they produce about 850 HP and that includes the Road Courses

14. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Having read the posts here I think I can safely say one thing.....I don't think that anyone will really agree which is the better series. The fact is that the 2 series (and the cars in them) are totally different.

On one hand you have NASCAR which is primarily run on banked oval tracks with a few flat oval tracks and a couple of road courses thrown in. The whole point there is pure speed. It takes a great deal of skill to keep a car pointed forwards when travelling around an 18 degree turn at close on 200mph with about 40 other drivers trying to do the same thing like they do at Daytona. The engines run in the cars are mostly 350 cubic inches or above and as many have pointed out, on tracks like Daytona they run restrictor plates in an effort to keep speeds down to a "safe" level unlike when Bill Elliot ran over 212mph in a Ford Thunderbird at Talladega and 210mph at Daytona back in 1987.

On the other hand you have V8 Spuercars which don't run at all on oval tracks. They run on road courses and street circuits. Their emphasis isn't on pure speed but acceleration, braking and cornering. They run small block engines (5.0L Chevs and Ford SVO) which are fuel injected as opposed to the carburation of NASCAR engines. V8 Supercars run a wing setup which is totally different meaning that on an oval course they most likely would be slower anyway due to the extra downforce generated, but on a road course they would most likely be faster.

Both NASCAR & V8 Supercar drivers are extremely skilled at what they do and most would easily be able to adapt to the skills needed for road or oval racing. You only have to look at the likes of Tony Stewart who is a great road racer and Brad Jones who has won numerous Australian AUSCAR & NASCAR championships to see how easily they can adapt.

The sad thing is that realistically, comparing NASCARS and V8 Supercars is like comparing chalk & cheese. A Nascar would never beat a V8 Supercar on a road course and a V8 Supercar would never beat a NASCAR on an oval track.

15. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

quote from nascar rocker
    Well I guess you have Never watched the Coca Cola 600 in Atlanta. 600 mile race that starts late in the day because the track is to hot to race on durring the day. One driver one car for 1000 Kilometers. You want to talk about endurance? Thats 3400 pounds (US) of car a driver has to tackle. To make things interesting some of the drivers like Tony Stewart and Robbie Gordon have run the Indy 500 race the same day and fly to the track for the 600. Nascar has a rule that if the driver is not at the manditory drivers meeting they have to start all the way at the back. I think it was 2 years ago Tony came in 5th at INDY and then finished in 2nd place at Atlanta. That is a total of 1100 miles in one day.

One thing i did notice while watching a V8SC race on TV is that the annoucers are more boring then the ones from FOX tv here in the US

the only reason why the TV announcer in Oz is boring compared to the US commmentary is that they allow the v8s to do the speaking. However, the nascar races are so monotnous and boring they have an obligation to entertain the audience as well.

16. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I hate the US commmentators, there so over the top. The aussie commentators dont take your attention away from the racing amd just comment on what they see necessary

17. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I would take a NASCAR Winston Cup Stock Car anyday over the Aussie V8's runnin around down under...I bet a NASCAR Stock Car with its 700HP (any driver except for Jeff Gordon would do) would smoke an Aussie racecar at either Talladega or Daytona anyday...give me my good ol' American HP!!

18. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

allrite i`ll settle this V8 SUPERCARS PISS ALL OVA NASCAR a V8SC can get 1000hp but AVESCO stops em wif gear ratio and engine size ford AUS can use the yanks 351s and the cars down force iz increased by AVESCO so therw!

19. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

The v8supercars have pretty close to 700hp as well

20. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Ok morons, heres the plain ole simple deal:
    1. On a road coarse, AVESCO wins
    2. On an oval, Nascar wins(I don't know about bristol or martinsville, the AVESCO cars have a crapload of Downforce to their advantage)
    3. The Nascar motors are more powerful, natually aspirated
    4. As for Nascar being called "the bottom of the barrel," don't even go there. It is a proven fact, that Mark Martin has lost over 7 Liters of water during a race, so that should tell you how hard it was.
    5. All the drivers are talented

And that is that.

21. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

The v8 drivers have to drive in there cars thats reach up over 60 degrees C at some tracks so the conditions our drivers ave are just as hard, if not harder than the nascars

22. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Oh come on what a stupid question of course the V8 Supercars are better, not only because they race on circuits, - and dont try and tell me that oval tracks are circuits there not - they have a hell of a lot more skill, they aren't d******ds unlike the NASCAR drivers and at least the cars are recognisable after accidents unlike NASCARS infamous accidents.

23. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

For the sake of all people out there I need to clarify your statement 'Dan' the bag that was over Craig Lowndes' Falcon was covering practically all the radiator and so he came in to get the bag off. Then when the bag was removed the engine temperature shot through the roof. So they were forced to retire.

In Mark Skaife's incident he was a clear leader in front by about 30-40 secs and the bags didn't cover as much as Craig's. Skaifey then limped the car to the finish just ahead of a charging Russell Ingall who finished 2.9372secs behind. The engine temperature in Skaife's car was also going through the roof though not as quickly as Craig's. When Skaifey came in the HRT Team Boss said that if the temperature had gotten any higher they would have to bring in the car.

So there you go that is what really happened.

24. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I lie them both. Nascar and V8 Supercars, both great cars.

25. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Alright, Ive been A fan Of racing of all kinds for as long as i can Remember. My father Is a die hard NASCAR fan (and for the stereotype the NASCAR is for rednecks, We are Latin, And live In miami)He Brought me up watching stock car racing in a small oval Track. When they finally built a track here, Nascar racing became a yearly event for us. But with that track i was able to introduce him to the other types of racing. Sports car and The IRL. As for V8 Supercars, I had never heard of it until just recently, I purchased a video game called "pro race driver". Arguably one of the best "Racing" games Ive ever playd. In that game I discoverd this league, And soon found my self watching it on speedvision. Now Ive been To both, and im an American, But as far as enjoyable racing, Id have to go with the V8 Supercars. NASCAR is entertaining and calls on diffrent skils. Nascar Is Largly aerodynamics, Running your line, Pit planning, and coming out on top after crashes. In the V8s, The racing is tight, passing Oppurtunitys come almost on every turn, So not only do you have to plan your pass, But youve gotta watch behind with the guy on your draft. Nascar fans, Trust a fellow fan when i say to turn on speed vision, Watch one of these races, You might be surprise.