whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by Aych Es Vee, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

You are right, the v8s are great to watch and i would recommend all americans to watch it once and you will enjoy the great racing

2. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Way to go. Done a lot of research on this? We get your NASCAR on cable here all the time. We know all about it in Oz. Unless you've watched the V8 Supercar series here, you should be quiet and shut up.

The Bathurst 1000 is one of the HARDEST races in the world, plenty of people who've done Le Man's rate it easily as hard.

Oh we used to race Bathurst with one driver to. But you obviously don't know to much about track racing if you think driving around a circular circuit is anywhere near as physically challanging on the driver. Driver's racing in the 1000 have over 150 gear changes PER LAP. Which is covered in roughly the 2 min 12- 2 min 14 mark. Oh the tracks 6.23 kilometers by the way.

A race takes just under 7 hours. Speeds each lap range from 85 kilometers up to 300 and its not unusual for car temperatures to reach 60 degrees. Australia's a much hotter and drier country than the US your temperatures wouldn't be nearly as high.

3. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Hey im not really familiar with NASCARS being from Australia and not having cable tv, but isnt the NASCAR thing where you have the same mechanicals, with all the same bodies, just different designs for cosmetic purposes, allowing for near-perfect parity between cars. Well Australian V8 supercars have a whole FORD vs HOLDEN thing and with the cars being based upon different manufacters, there isnt the same parity between teams, though they are trying to make V8's a more even playing field with HOLDEN winning 80% of rounds in the last 4 years.
    If thats right, the whole even playing field concept of NASCARS will determine the most deserving winner of any race, but still, V8 supercars is bloody unreal!

4. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

V8 supercars will whoop ass, around a track and on a straight. from what i've seen it seems that NASCARs crash heaps more than v8 supercars while just going around in circles all the time. btw, don't v8 supercars have more power? they got sumthing like 620hp i think.

5. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

V8 supas are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better!!

6. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Nascar is a V8 Supercar....American Style. I'm with Nascar on the way

7. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

i'll have to disagree on what u've just mentioned, v8 supercars can atleast turn.

8. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

The v8supercars crash just as much as the nascars but they usually happen while trying daring overtaking moves on tight corners

9. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

V8 supercars is fun to watch

nascar is not, nascar fails

10. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

You can't compare these 2 series, so don't even try. It's like comparing an F1 car to a Modified, it doesn't make sense.

11. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I have to go with the V8 road car. As was mentioned several times earlier, NASCARS are built for driving around an oval track for long periods of time at high speed. They are not built for handling and acceleration.

In November of 2002, Popular Mechanics road tested a NASCAR Monte Carlo and came up with a 0-60 time of 6.21 s and a 1/4 mi ET of 10.5 @ 130.1 MPH and 1.12 g's in the skidpad. As you can see, the numbers are good but far from staggering.

12. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

your V8 super cars are better becuse the turn right too.

13. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Ummm.....Winston Cup Cars turn right. Twice per year might I add. But one an oval, Winston Cup cars win. On a Road Course Avesco wins. I might give avesco a martinsville or bristol, their downforce and weight might give them a upper hand on .5 mile tracks. I bet however, that at a track like watkins glen, that the cars would be more even than anywhere. The Avesco cars lack top speed. With the long straights, their might be an equalling factor. But who cares. You can't compare them.

14. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

The v8supercars only lack speed because they gear teh cars specifically for each track. if the gearing was changed and maybe a bit taken off the rear wing then they would have a lot higher top speed

15. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Don't give me that gearing crap. Gearing doesn't mean shit, because believe it or not, same thing with winston cup cars. The reasons a cup car will always be faster is: A. Horsepower B. Lower Coeffecient of Drag. Cup cars wihtout a restrictor plate caould run around Talladega at 212 mph in 1989. Pole speed would have been 228 mph at Talladega without restrictors.

16. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

that just proves my point. nascars have their gearing changed so they can do the high speeds just like v8supercars. and if both cars were running the same gearing i believe the v8supercars would be faster

17. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Ummmm....No. That is the most idiotic reply I have ever had. A Cup car will go faster than any V8 supercar anyday.

18. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Ok heres my technical explanation. The cup cars have more HP, which when geared the same as a V8 supercar, providing they had same drag would go faster. Another thing is however, that a winston cup car has a lower coefficient of drag, which will make the car go faster. V8 supercars are designed for maximum downforce, where most cup car setups arent. The cup car will go faster. If you dont believe me, look at this site. This is from Penskes Indy Cars
    Short oval configuration:
    Downforce:
    1675 lbs. @ 150 mph, with 725 lbs. of drag
    2412 lbs. @ 180 mph, with 1043 lbs. of drag
    2978 lbs. @ 200 mph, with 1289 lbs. of drag

Lift-to-drag ratio: 2.31:1

A Road track configuration:
    Downforce:
    2750 lbs. @ 150 mph, with 924 lbs. of drag
    3961 lbs. @ 180 mph, with 1331 lbs. of drag
    4888 lbs. @ 200 mph, with 1644 lbs. of drag

Lift-to-drag ratio: 2.97:1

A Super-speedway configuration:
    Downforce:
    1000 lbs. @ 225-230 mph, with 650 lbs. of drag

Lift-to-drag ratio: 1.54:1

V8 supercars are less aerodynamic, which will make them run slower. A winston cup car could have a restrictor plate, and still beat a v8 supercar. I even searched out on V8 supercars. It says there top speed is 250 km/h. I did some math and found this to be approx 154 mph. Winston cup cars can go 190 with 450+ hp. Now if they had their 800 hp, they would destroy v8 supercars.

19. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

the v8 supercars do 300kmh at bathurst so im not to sure how accurate your info is. also the v8supercars have more downforce beacuse they are designed for turning, unlike the nascars. i dont no any specs on the downforce they make but im fairly confidant a v8supercar would beat a nascar around bathurst

20. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

I initially started saying that Cup cars would win at top speed, not on a track. But I then said Watkins Glen would be a very close race. I never said anything about bathurst. Downforce only helps in cornering, but I was talking about top speed, which downforce hurts top speed.

21. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Hey when I when to the V8 supercars website all I saw was FORD and GM no other car maker that is in the rase can you tell me what car makers participate in that rase and one mor thing sens Dodge is Part of Chrysler and Chrysler is part of Daimler Chrysler the German company don’t you people think that Dodge should be kicked out of NASCAR?

22. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Holden and Ford are the only ones in the Australian v8 Supercars, because the cars they make are exclusively australian. Dodge technically shouldn't be kicked out of cup. Dodge, although owned by a foreign company, is made entirely in America, and has been a part of Nascar history in the past. Toyota is a different story however. They have never been in Nascar. They are the exact nameplate of a car that is designed overseas, and are originally an import to this country. Dodge has always been in America, Toyota wasn't originally formed in the US and that is why I believe toyota shouldnt be allowed.

23. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

i presume that u deserved 2 b banned

24. Re: whats better, NASCAR or V8 Supercars???????

Omly 2 tracks have restrictor plates moron. Daytone and Talladega. At on point Atlanta did, but no longer. those are the only tracks that have restrictors.