What's happening to the car scene in America?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by F50Fanatic, Apr 21, 2016.

1. You see more and more people coming back to the classics (anything made from 1955 till 1972) because these are high collectible cars, very easy to maintain (you find everything for any gm, mopar or fomoco product), upgrade and boost in power as well as because there are something very different to drive but also because the room inside them was and is very huge compared to modern cars. If you are into economy, don't buy one these cars but if you are an old school person these are certainly for you. I am a big fan of merc leadsleds and of mild customs. Absolutely not a fan of low riders and of ricers with the nos stinky stickers à la fast and furious displayed everywhere on their cars.

F50Fanatic likes this.
  2. People like drum brakes and lap belts and real cigarette lighters

Veyronman likes this.
  3. exactly

4. For most places in the United States, including the area I live in, it's more like the late 20's all the way to 1972, everything from Gow Jobs to muscle cars fits into the highly collectible category. 1955 to 1970 is the 'golden age' when car culture became mainstream.

426 Hemistage 8 likes this.
  5. Indeed, indeed. It also the fact that people have everything to fix either luxury land yachts and anything related to muscle cars and make them again road usable and also adapted to the pollution norms, a well maintained carburated big block v8 polutes less than a diesel engine and than a badly regulated electronic fuel injected 4 banger. Plus you have so much space and room inside these cars and options in older cars that new ones seems uninteresting compared to them.

6. Had been paying attention to big events like SEMA and Detroit Autorama, and I find it interesting how quickly street legal performance had improved in recent years, most likely due to higher demand for building faster cars, and more performance parts available. For decades 1000hp was considered by most people as the high end for street legal horsepower among hot rods. In recent years, that high end had pretty much tripled, with 3000hp being pretty common among street legal drag cars (those of you who pay attention to Hot Rod Drag Week know what I'm talking about). And many of the pro-touring cars have 4 digit power outputs. Today we look at a 1000hp car the same way we look at 500hp car 10 years ago.

7. It may look similar to the other ricers/stancebros, but different than the tens of millions of stock examples out there.

it's like seeing 5 427 Cobra replicas at a Cars & Coffee event and saying "Oh, just an other Cobra" but seeing one out in traffic says "unique."

And yes, I can even give respect to the ricers and "chavs" because they don't want to be in a boring appliance like the rest of the mindless drones driving around out there and are at least attempting to personalize their cars. They are helping keep the car scene alive, vibrant and diversified.

F50Fanatic likes this.
  8. A riced out civic =/= Cobra. That's the difference. Oh, cool, you put a useless fart pipe, useless wing and a dozen stickers for parts you don't have. You're a rolling joke. Also, being 'different' than normal isn't always a good thing. I can be different by walking around with fecal matter on my shirt while I wear chaps, but it's nothing to be proud of. Being different just to be different is so yawn inducing.

9. #34 F50Fanatic, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    This is exactly my sentiment. Not all of the modded imports are nice ones, but they did make the car scene more interesting. And contrary to stereotypes, there was a good number of modified imports that were actually very nicely done and have real performance.

The only thing I didn't like about the import scene is some of the condescending kids who owns those cars, thinking their cars are the best, and regards any vehicle in the American classic genre (street rods, muscle cars, etc) as worthless garbage. I was considered a weirdo in high school among car guys for being the only Asian guy in the entire school who likes hot rods.

10. The best ones are when they have their shopping list on the door, but for conflicting brands. So you've got Pirelli *and* Michelin tyres? Oh, and you've got KW *and* Koni shocks? lol

11. gotta love all that anecdotal evidence...

the obvious fact is that it's been some years, and at least a couple production generations now, since those stupid cars were new or anywhere close to that. with time, the frequency you'll see any car model drops off precipitously, as they get old and wear out/t-bone a Highlander while drunk driving.

it's arguably much higher attrition in car models that are popular with TEXTBOOK RICERS, since they exhaust the supply with their THRIFTY MODS, dubious reliability and shit driving. that's partially why some models are sooooo fucking expensive these days for a clean [read: UNADULTERATED] specimen. *cough*CRXSupra*cough*

whereas if you're seeing (more likely just now noticing!) lots more older classics, that's more a factor that they're popular now, many are getting saved from the scrapyard and being restored, and depending on where you live, they will be more visible. round here they're only visible on a nice day, but damn if every single one isn't out in the sun rockin' it. give it 20 years and the same thing may happen to ricer imports from our youth.

-assuming the plastics last that long, and electronics can be procured............

12. In addition to being saved from scrapyards, recent years there are tons of newly fabricated body panels for selection, making restoration process much easier than before. For the most popular models there are entire newly fabricated bodies available. One can build a 32 Ford Roadster or a 69 Camaro from scratch without the need to go scrapyard to get an old body.

On the import side, the newest Civics and Versas are being turned to modded imports, but in far fewer numbers, probably due to lack of interest / demand or fewer parts available.

13. I see a whole lot less of tuning; nearly non existent. I think its because cars loans have become way more affordable and people just go "**** it I can afford it" and get the car they want / wouldn't be able to afford normally.

14. Also, a lot of the guys on the local site I'm on who used to roll around in turbo civics got older and bought Corvettes and 5.0 Mustangs. They concluded tubbed out turbo civics boosted to hell with no interior to run 11's isn't as fun.

15. You could even build a 68-70 b body mopar muscle if you wanted or 68-72 gm a body muscle car but for the chassis, you would have to go to the proper person, same with the interior, engine tuning and over all assembly, then if you speak of a very nice example of a muscle car , we are over 60000$.

F50Fanatic likes this.
  16. The Chrysler B bodies are in short supply. Especially Chargers, which were featured in so many movies and TV series, leading to many of them destroyed in the process of filming. Makes business sense to make more body panels for Chargers, considering the high demand and low supply.

17. More than 300 Chargers were destroyed in the dukes of hazzard series filming. The 68-70 chargers especially the matching numbers R/T models are now a gold mine, and the ones ramining in barns are bought by some wealthy collectors who do bolt and nut restorations and who later sell them for very big bucks. The other b bodies like the coronet, the gtx and the roadrunner despite being still in bigger numbers than the charger remain more or less affordable but still way way more expensive more than 25 years ago before the Barrett Jackson & Mecum auctions craze.

F50Fanatic likes this.
  18. #43 F50Fanatic, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Factory original B bodies and the 'Cudas will become much more expensive in the coming years. '64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt, '69 Boss 429, and '68 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock are also considered holy grails among muscle car collectors, will easily fetch six figures at auctions in the coming years.

Other cars that may become much more expensive are 1970 - 71 Ford Torino, 1968-72 Chevelle, 1965 Impala SS, and 1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine", especially if they are factory original or properly restored to appear factory original.

19. Lets not forget the 1967-1969 Camaro Yenko, 1969 Nickey Camaro, 1969 Transam, 1970-1971 olds 442 with W30, W31 and W33 engines, the 1970-1971 buick gs 455 stage 1 and the gsx, the 1968-1972 pontiac ram air III, ram air IV and the ones fitted with the 455 HO, the 1970-1971 pontiac trans am with the ram air III/IV and the 455HO as well the 1973-1974 firebirds fitted with the 455SD, also don't forget challenger r/t with the 440-6 or the 426 and the 1969-1971 plymouth sport fury gt

F50Fanatic likes this.
  20. Yes, I forgot about the Buicks and the Olds. 70-71 Olds 442 and 71 Buick GSX are already costing a fortune at auctions.

One car I hope to see, but probably won't get to see any time soon, is the Australian Ford Falcon built between 1972 and 1979. One of the best looking muscle cars IMO.

I think any muscle car that appears factory original is going to become more valuable. I'm not sure about other regions, but here in western US, restomods / pro-touring are very popular among hot rodders. Factory originals are becoming harder to find.

21. Switzerland, Sweden and Germany have some of the rarest factory original condition muscle cars and in big numbers. I know that Otis Chandler, Jay Leno and other pivate collectors own several muscle cars. I knew a guy (a friend of my cousin) living in Abylene back in 1999 who had a 1970 440-6 Charger R/T, a 1970 Imperial Crown Le Baron and 1970 Cuda 440-6, all of them in pristine condition with bill of sale, original era maintenance and repair invoices and name plate. My cousin saw him 3 years ago, he still had the three cars. These cars belang to his father was working for chrysler back in the 60's-70's. The guy understood the value of the cars when he was in his early 20's and maintained them, restored them and even modded the engines for better reliability with mopar b1 aluminium heads, mopar competition cams, mopar performance intake and new edelbrock performance carbs because the old and holley carter carbs did their time. He also rebuilt the suspension work with new koni shocks an bigger sway bars, changed the braking system with baer disc brakes and changed the tires with good year eagle st tires on the charger and the cuda and good year with white wall tires on the imperial. He drove and still drives the imperial most of the time as my cousin told me. The imperial crown is 2.2 tons beast capable of accelerating in just 10sec with a top speed 145mph, not bad for a land yacht.

F50Fanatic likes this.
  22. 1970 Imperial Crown Le Baron is a unicorn here. I don't remember ever seeing one in real life before. If I'm not mistaken, it shares the same platform as the 69-73 Dodge Monaco (C-body). Those cars were not nearly as appreciated as the B-bodies. Most of them ended up in the crusher. Seeing one now is a pretty rare sight.

23. #48 F50Fanatic, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Speaking of imports, now thinking back, in my region the guys who love imports the most are the same group that have the tendency to be addicted to gaming, basically my own group, young asian males who were in their early 20's back then. In college I had seen plenty avid gamers, some were so into that kind of stuff that they could pretty much forget everything else that went on in this world. I knew guys who would spent an entire year inside their apartments, playing games, only heading out when its absolutely necessary like need to to take final exam, or to get groceries. Heard rumors some even as far as selling car to buy the best swords/shields/magic/whatever for their characters.

That import enthusiast friend of mine, he is bitter that the import era is over for our region. He blames hot rods / muscle cars for the decline of modded jap cars here. Maybe he should place the blame on World of Warcraft instead.

24. Amen.

25. Sometimes I walk around with feces on my body but that's because I received inadequate potty training.

Would never sit in a car with a fart cannon though.