Whats in a name?

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by MCSE+I, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Does any one else have a problem with a Pontiac named "Gran Turismo Omologato"? And has there ever been anything Italian about Pontiac?

2. Re: Whats in a name?

let me take this one piece at a time. the gto name i dont have a problem with. it's how GM just slapped it on a monero that irke's me.

as for the italian referance, this is from the monero(australian), which is from an opel chassis(german).<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Whats in a name?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b>let me take this one piece at a time. the gto name i dont have a problem with. it's how GM just slapped it on a monero that irke's me.

as for the italian referance, this is from the monero(australian), which is from an opel chassis(german).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

First of all, its monAro, second, the Monaro doesn't have the GTO badge, one of the HSV tuned versions of the Monaro does and HSV isn't under Genral Motors.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Whats in a name?

your wrong, about hsv not being under gm, anyway it's got a whole different engine than an hsv car so whats your point?<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Whats in a name?

GM is the biggest car corporation in the world today. They own Chevorlet, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, SAAB, GMC, Opel, and Holden (HSV). Let me know if I missed any car manufacturers.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Whats in a name?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stuttgart</i>
    <b>GM is the biggest car corporation in the world today. They own Chevorlet, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, SAAB, GMC, Opel, and Holden (HSV). Let me know if I missed any car manufacturers.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

HSV is under European company TWR<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Whats in a name?

he's right, HSV's parent company is TWR. They also are in charge of the V8 Supercar team.

8. Re: Whats in a name?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stuttgart</i>
    <b>GM is the biggest car corporation in the world today. They own Chevorlet, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, SAAB, GMC, Opel, and Holden (HSV). Let me know if I missed any car manufacturers.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

saturn & hummer, thats all i can think of.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Whats in a name?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Stuttgart</i>

saturn & hummer, thats all i can think of.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

C'mon guys! Olds isn't done YET.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Whats in a name?

What about fiat it owns 80% of it and it owns alot of hundai if I'm correct.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Whats in a name?

<b>let me take this one piece at a time. the gto name i dont have a problem with. it's how GM just slapped it on a monero that irke's me.

as for the italian referance, this is from the monero(australian), which is from an opel chassis(german).</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Rex,
    You missed my point on the Italian reference. "GTO" stand for "Gran Turismo Omologato" which is Italian for "Grand Touring Homologated" and was coined by Ferrari in 1962. It is the name that is Italian not the car.
    In English shouldn't it be "GTH" for "Grand Touring Homologated"?

12. Re: Whats in a name?

HSV is under Euro company TWR, which means GM didn't slap the GTO badge on it.

13. Re: Whats in a name?

how can you justify their actions here? they did slap on the badge. the car is a dead ringer for the monaro. it's unimportant wether or not it's been touched by HSV or not.

14. Re: Whats in a name?

NO, I AM A GREAT PONTIAC GTO FAN, FROM ALL THE WAY BACK IN 64 WHEN THEY CAME OUT, DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!

15. Re: Whats in a name?

HSV is partly owned by GM but mainly by TWR. The HSV cars use the same engine as the Holdens and the new Pontiac GTO, they are all in a different state of tune

16. Re: Whats in a name?

Hay GoatBoy,
    Perhaps you should do some research before you open your mouth.
    GTO stands for "Gran Turismo Omologato" which was coined by Freeari in 1962. Two years before Pontiac ever started using it.

Sorry to correct you but I hate being YELLED at by poeple that are just plain wrong.