Whats the horsepower on old style GTP's ?

Discussion in '1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP' started by 2002wrx, Aug 19, 2002.

1. hey. . . i am planning on buying a new car. . . i wnat it to be GM, and i hate grand ams. . i absolutely love grand prix's and i found a 95 with 73k miles, and the 24 valve 3.4 (or did they offer the 3.8??) well i want to know what the horsepower is on the engine. . i am guessing around 180-200. . but any solid figure would be very helpful. . anyone know of any good sites for info?

2. Re:

your just slightly off, it is about 170, and I think it is a 3.4

3. Re: Whats the horsepower on old style GTP's ?

In 1990 they had Turbos and pumped out about 205 HP and 220 Torque. When they came back in '95 I dont even think that they were supercharged or turbo with a 3.4 with about 210 HP and 215 Torque.

4. Re: Whats the horsepower on old style GTP's ?

The 1995 Grand Prix GTP had I 3.4 liter 24valve V-6 engine. With 210 horsepower and 215 foot pounds of torque, which was pretty damn good for that size of an engine back then but I would not buy one if I were you. GM is really good don't get me wrong but in the early 90's they did not know how to make an engine with 4 valves per cylinder. All 3.4 engines had to constantly be repaired like the timing belts, EGR valves and so on. Trust me all people I know who have had experience with this engine hate it. If I were you I would wate and save up for a 1997 or newer because you will not regret it and the 3.8 liter engine is so much better than the 3.4 liter. Just trying to help you out don't want you to buy a car that needs to be in the shop constantly.