Whats up with this ?

Discussion in '2002 Honda Civic Type-R' started by Heavy C, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Re: Whats up with this ?

the uglys civec ever

2. Re: Whats up with this ?

RPM is important when you want to produce power. More horsepower is usually crucial to generating higher speeds while torque is usually crucial to acceleration. While lack of torque can be overcome by using millions of dollars and a super high reving, high output lightweight car (F1), for most street purposes, torque is a big help in acceleration. Generally larger displacement engines will produce more torque due to a larger stroke, however due to added on weight its RPMs become more limited. That is why you don't see big blocks reving up to 15000 RPm. On race cars, there is more money and R&D involved to creater lighter, more resilient parts that can withstand higher revs. In this way, engines with lots of bottom end torque have the ability to rev up to higher rps and produce more power. Also since most track races don't require too much standing start acceleration (as compared to drag racing) more emphasis can be put into higher end power to help achieve acceleration at higher speeds. A higher redline greatly helps this.

3. Re: Whats up with this ?

Precisely, so why is it such a bad thing if street cars designed for performance generate more power at a higher rpm (IYAO)? i.e. any Japanese car

4. Re: Whats up with this ?

It isn't. However, for acceleration low end torque does help out more than high end horsepower, especially for light to light drag races. Most people don't drive their car at or near its limits so top speed usually is not too much of a concern, acceleration is most peoples measure of speed when driving a car. Larger displacement engines take bigger advantage of this than smaller displacement ones usually. This is not always the case but is fairly common. It all depends on your application, driving style, preference and money in the end. Different strokes for different folks. I just prefer a larger one.

5. Re: Whats up with this ?

I'm glad we can finally come to agreement on something.

In all honesty I've spent more time driving at 4,000rpm than 2,000rpm (2,000rpm being the lowest I can go before the engine starts to lug - except for 1st and reverse) in my car.

6. Re: Whats up with this ?

What kind of car?

7. Re: Whats up with this ?

so they both are important..it all depends on what driving style u have...........

8. Re: Whats up with this ?

Exactly, I'm sure if you'd point this out whenever someone bashes one for the other that you'd have less retarded posts on these forums. It's not that American cars are any worse than any other (or visa versa) it's just that while the "big three" opt for larger displacement and FR, and European manufacturers opt for hp/weight (ie. small engines for small cars, big engines for big cars) and MR, while Japanese manufacturers opt for efficient low displacement high performance and FF, F4 (can't remember what the abbreviation is for front engine AWD, sorry) and MR. All the Manufacturers come out with pretty much the same levels of performance. They just have different styles of getting there.

BlackSilverado - I drive a '90 Civic Si (with 130hp and 100lb-ft), and before you go thinking it's slow, I've raced it both officially and illegally, and quite successfully. The reason for that being is that I choose my races wisely ie. I don't drag race a Camaro, I race it on roads that require handling, I rally race (the cars are already split into classes, I don't have to choose my races) and I've been quite successful at whichever I've done.

9. Re: Whats up with this ?

Thats cool. I don't think they have too many rally races in my area, not that I could compete. The closest thing my truck does to rally racing is fishtailing in the snow.

10. Re: Whats up with this ?

lol, in any vehicle that's hella fun. Specially in a RWD.

11. Re: Whats up with this ?

The Honda Civic sucks! All imports suck! ALL AMERICAN MUSCLE RULES and can whoop any of these Japan cars with NOS and crap.

12. Re: Whats up with this ?

damn true muscle cars are 10 times better than any jacked up honda or a pos acura(even though u have an integra and i think mine is the best acura out there so i will not include my car)

13. Re: Whats up with this ?

torque = better powerband = more low end power, more low end power = wider gear ratio's, wider gear ratio's = better gas mileage, thats why the ls6 in the Z06 can plop out 405 hp, a low 12 second quarter time, and still get the same gas mileage as an s2000, while still weighing more. low end power is better for daily driving, not high reving power. high revs can translate into roughly the same performance as low revs, but you have to use shorter gearing to compensate for that, meaning, you can shorten the gears on a higher reving engine, but that kills gas mileage. the only reason F-1 cars rev so high is because using a 3 liter engine reving to insane rpm's is smaller than a bigger engine with lots of torque, and every single lb counts in F1 racing, ive heard that for every gallon of fuel an F1 racer burns, it will gain .2 seconds around a track. in your average joe car though, a few extra lbs arent going to do anything

14. Re: Whats up with this ?

Again, what's your point? If you want gas mileage you buy a Honda Insight, if you want good gas mileage AND reasonable performance you buy a Civic, if you want all-out performance then get whatever you damn well feel like and don't give a shit about the gas mileage. Higher revving cars are more difficult to drive fast, but they can be driven just as fast, and generally smaller, lighter engines rev higher, meaning that if you want a car to handle to its full potential then you have to use a smaller, lighter engine, which in turn means that it'll have a shorter powerband. Also, having the shorter powerband, it also separates the real drivers from the little boys when you look at which ones do well in competition.

15. Re: Whats up with this ?

and if you want absolutely awesome performance and reasonable gas mileage you get a vette. also, why dont you go drive a skyline around a track, and then drive a viper around a track, and tell me which one REALLY needs a skilled driver to control. just because high reving skinny powerband cars are a pain in the ass to keep in the powerband doesnt make cars with good power bands easy to drive.

16. Re: Whats up with this ?

But cars with a wide powerband ARE generally easy to drive, but in some cases (such as the Viper), the car just doesn't have as much potential for cornering, meanwhile while generally having more potential for cornering ability, a car with a narrow powerband, is much more difficult to keep at the right rpm to maintain optimal acceleration capability.

In otherwords, generally a car with a wider powerband is more difficult to drive, and turn, while a car with a narrower powerband is more difficult to drive fast.

Yes, but who really cares about having a car with "awesome performance and reasonable gas mileage" if it means you must sacrifice handling capability in the process.

P.S. - yes, I know the Vette handles exceptionally well, but with a smaller displacement engine that produces the same power it would be equally as fast, and handle considerably better. And it doesn't handle nearly as well as some other cars in its class.

17. Re: Whats up with this ?

you are an idiot, having smaller displacement doesnt make a car handle better, and it doesnt make the engine lighter either. the vette would rape any car you throw against it in the autocross, short of an elise. and name a car in its class that out handles it? and tell me why the vette C5-R constantly ass rapes every car out there?

18. Re: Whats up with this ?

oh, P.S. why dont you put a heavier, cheaper, bigger engined z06 up against the NSX and see which one comes out on top