whats with that hole in the front bumper?

Discussion in '2002 BMW M3 CSL Concept' started by M3Munki, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

I would have to say that the round hole in the bumper would have to have something to do with the engine's air intake - the M3's air filter is located on that side of the engine. I have seen a BMW with the left-hand headlight removed, and in its place a similar round hole constructed for better airflow to the motor. That particular car was nicknamed "one eyed monster".

2. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

the remark by M3 monkey says the nick name for that car is "one eyed monster" which further prooves my point about the whole being the gps the whole being the cars one eye to the world of gps.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

Uhhhh???!!!

Maybe they just forgot to put the fog lamp in there...Uhhh..I don't know...?!

:) :) :)

Whtever it is, it's not for the GPS or to pull it out of any unstable surfaces ( in BMW the hook is located on top of the bumper ((next to the license plate)) to allow the contact with the front frame rail).
    The older 1970's version has two of them. It might not be for the intake either, becasue something from the road might hit it pretty bad.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

I can practically guarantee that hole isn't for GPS, as GPS systems don't need any holes to communicate with the satellites. My first thought was for the tow hook too because I've seen cars with caps over similar holes in the bumpers, which revealed tow hooks.

5. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Love BMW</i>
    <b>but it's not ugly.it gives the car an agressive look.
    i feel like it wants to eat me.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, it looks very agressive, like dangerous or something
    I really like it

6. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from shockwave racing</i>
    <b>why wouldnt they have two holes so that they can provide cooling for the brakes...</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I doubt anyone would drive this hard enough to need brake cooling<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

it's got a mole on it's cheek... j/k whatever it is, I think it's too small to be any cooling system or intake, (and Hotboxer, many cars have brake cooling vents, it doesn't take that much to get your brakes burning hot, just try spitting on your discs next time you get out of your car, after driving a little enthusiastically, you will hear this sizzling sound and steam will go up from your brake, it affects the brakes performance and wear tremendously

8. whats it doing there? it makes it look ugly... shouldnt it @ least have 2 of em? 1 on each side?

9. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

could be for towing out of gravel traps...racecar like.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

its most likely for the intake.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HotBoxer</i>
    <b>its most likely for the intake.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think they reserved that for the huge air dam.

Its an opticle port to hook up to the race CPU's.

This intire statment was mal-truth.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mofomenator</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HotBoxer</i>
    <b>its most likely for the intake.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think they reserved that for the huge air dam.

Its an opticle port to hook up to the race CPU's.

This intire statment was mal-truth.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I was talking about the intake for the motor, not the fuking radiator smart guy. if you are going to say I'm wrong try proving it, not claiming it.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

its probably the gps navigation system
    do u really think they'd put an intake hole there<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

but it's not ugly.it gives the car an agressive look.
    i feel like it wants to eat me.

15. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from NOS 4U2</i>
    <b>it's got a mole on it's cheek... j/k whatever it is, I think it's too small to be any cooling system or intake, (and Hotboxer, many cars have brake cooling vents, it doesn't take that much to get your brakes burning hot, just try spitting on your discs next time you get out of your car, after driving a little enthusiastically, you will hear this sizzling sound and steam will go up from your brake, it affects the brakes performance and wear tremendously</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I know many cars do have brake cooling vents and I have much experiance with performance brakes, just because they get hot doesn't mean they need a hole in the front of the car to cool them. That hole is not too small for an air intake because if you look at most stock body race cars they have a similar size hole where the headlight(s) used to be. since there is nothing else that the hole would be for and the car's intake happens to be on that side, logically you could assume that's what it is for.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

maybe they just ran out of plastic for the front fascia
    <!-- Signature -->

17. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

first of you guys can be real a-holes when some one disagrees with you second of all, if you look at the picture of the old skuul car you can clearly see that in has two of them, also if you look closely at the head on shot, you can barlwy see where there is mesh covering the hole obviously protecting something. lastly it is very common to replace a headlight with an intake hole or use hood scoops to provide fresh air for the intake systme of the car. the advantage to this is that it provides cooler air which is denser and (with he right feul mixture) can increase hp. if you've ever heard of a cold air intake which uses this same principle by moving the air filter away from the heat created by the engine. the hole is most probaly a combination of the last two princples by placeing the hole lower in the front bumper away from the engine you are using outside air and keeping it away from the engine preventing it from heating it up. this is probaly the best use of an intake system i've seen in a mass production car. aslo nitrous-oxide (nos) is used to freeze the air in the intake causing it to become so dense so quickly that it produces a rocket like boost of power, just in case you were wondering.

18. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

could be some sorta camera for a system similar to cadillacs night vision cause why would they only have ONE hole for an intake cooling system or ONE hole for cooling the brakes

19. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

the only reason for having two holoes fro an intake would be for an engine with two intakes which usually only occurs in an a twin turbo engine. there for only one intake hole is neccesary

20. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

If you look at the photo of the new CSL with the original CSL, you'll notice that the original also has holes in the bumper (two).

Its most likely just a retro styling cue. It cant be brake cooling, as there would be two of them.

21. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

yep

22. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

It looks like its a stupid hole. The designer of this hole was probably not a genious... Benzes rule the world anyways,,,

23. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

mufler?

24. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

you really think they would put a gaping hole in the bumper for a camera that would add to the drag when they could easily put it behind the grill or in the cab somewhere? Why wouldn't they have one hole for the intake? One intake one hole, sounds simple enough to me.

25. Re: whats with that hole in the front bumper?

the hole is ventilation.
    and as it was mentioned earlier, it has a single input.
    therefore needed one hole.
    two, would have added extra drag..
    makes the car look, sort of weird,
    but it's for performance purposes