Where's the Standard!

Discussion in '2002 Cadillac Cien Concept' started by Mark, Aug 9, 2002.

1. In my opinion, a true sports car/Supercar, should have a standard transmission available. I noticed this with the XLR, and the S-Type R and a number of other upcoming cars. What are the manufacturers thinking, standards are lighter, cheaper, faster, and better on gas, and most important, The best and most fun to drive! Am I the only one disapointed at the trend of disappearing standard transmissions?

2. Re: Where's the Standard!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mark</i>
    <b>In my opinion, a true sports car/Supercar, should have a standard transmission available. I noticed this with the XLR, and the S-Type R and a number of other upcoming cars. What are the manufacturers thinking, standards are lighter, cheaper, faster, and better on gas, and most important, The best and most fun to drive! Am I the only one disapointed at the trend of disappearing standard transmissions?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Basically, because now days, they can create automatics that are just as fuel efficent as a manual. Secondly, because more people buy automatic trannies.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Where's the Standard!

your opinon is gay mark!
    <!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Where's the Standard!

The trend with supercars is to use the paddle-style semi-auto trannys because they perform better. You might know that this is the style of transmission in formula one race cars. When the driver presses the paddle it is computer-controlled and the shifts happen in like 100 milliseconds or something like that, so as manufacturers are bringing out new supercars, they are opting for this semi-auto because it gives equal or higher performance of a standard but the ease of an auto, which is more appealing to consumers.