Who needs a V16?

Discussion in '1930 Cadillac Series 452-A V16' started by sketchas, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sketchas</i>
    <b>its not a surprise this powerplant only lasted a few years. like come on, V16? i think thats simply over doin it. maybe if they stuck that engine in a big rig or somthin it would make sense.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You know who wanted a V16!?
    Proabition Mobsters who wanted to outrun the Cops by going 100 mph
    by the way. THIS IS FUCKIING ALONG TIME AGO NOT LAST YEAR, MAYBEE BACK THAN WE WARNT AS FAST BACK THAN<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Comunista</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vwdrivervw</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 280z</i>
    <b>A V12 is geometrically balanced, and the displacement can be jacked up pretty high without making the cylinders too big, so it's really the practical maximum number of cylinders. Also, more cylinders means more parts, which means more complexity and less reliability. They probably did it mostly for marketing reasons, cause people like bigger numbers.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> In a v form you can have 16, 18 or 24 cylinders quite practicly as long as you have the displacement (trucks, tractor trailers, and whatnot). If you change the formation of the engine you can do even more cylinders (W). If you look at the length and design of some of the cars at the time you could easily have a v24 in without causing much problems in the way of balance, weight ditribution etc. There was very little in the ways of aerodynamic constaints of an engine because aerodynamics was not really understood at the time. So in a V16, even if it was not the most practicle number, nothing sufferd to much because of it. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

agreed. especially since it actually had quite a bit of power for its day... dudes, 160HP back then was QUITE a piece of power, back when many cars didnt even have 50... </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

indeed... many guys in here seem to forget this is a 1931 car, back then they didn't had the technology that was available today and they had to get the most of their engine displacement. its funny how most V8 engines then made no more than 100hp and V12, V14 and V16 engines could barely match the 200 horses... but yeah this car shows how Cadillac was standard of the world back then... <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Who needs a V16?

the world biggest dump truck has a quad turbo v-24. i've heard of v-12s and v-16s but ive never seen a car with a v-14. also, isnt 45 degrees a little too narrow for such a large engine? u can get away with it small engines (VW VR6 for instance and those weird W engines) because i think there would be vibration problems or something like that

4. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from azn086</i>
    <b>the world biggest dump truck has a quad turbo v-24. i've heard of v-12s and v-16s but ive never seen a car with a v-14. also, isnt 45 degrees a little too narrow for such a large engine? u can get away with it small engines (VW VR6 for instance and those weird W engines) because i think there would be vibration problems or something like that</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

well, would an I-8 be too narrow, for example? the Bugatti Royale's engine was HUGE and only an I-8... angle usually affects power output, hence the advent of the V configuration, but i have a feeling the tech put into this and other such cars probably didnt require too much attention to the angle degree to affect performance or power... but i dunno (maybe Duesey could solve that hehe)<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Who needs a V16?

The angle of the V in an engine has little effect on the power output, only on the handling. The reason V engines were invented was for packaging reasons only. As you might have noticed, an I8 is huge, and few cars could fit one, let alone a V16 (the last car with an I8 was a Pontiac in 1954). The finally nail in the I8's coffin was safety, which makes it competely impossible to have such a long engine as it would be pushed right into the passenger compartment on impact (BMW's I6's are designed to literally fall out in a collision). If you have ever seen the Cadillac's V16 motor, you'll be amazed at how low it is, due to a very wide V.

6. Re: Who needs a V16?

its not a surprise this powerplant only lasted a few years. like come on, V16? i think thats simply over doin it. maybe if they stuck that engine in a big rig or somthin it would make sense.

7. Re: Who needs a V16?

A V12 is geometrically balanced, and the displacement can be jacked up pretty high without making the cylinders too big, so it's really the practical maximum number of cylinders. Also, more cylinders means more parts, which means more complexity and less reliability. They probably did it mostly for marketing reasons, cause people like bigger numbers.

8. Re: Who needs a V16?

I need a #$%#ing V16!!!!!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Who needs a V16?

I rest my case.

10. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 280z</i>
    <b>A V12 is geometrically balanced, and the displacement can be jacked up pretty high without making the cylinders too big, so it's really the practical maximum number of cylinders. Also, more cylinders means more parts, which means more complexity and less reliability. They probably did it mostly for marketing reasons, cause people like bigger numbers.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> In a v form you can have 16, 18 or 24 cylinders quite practicly as long as you have the displacement (trucks, tractor trailers, and whatnot). If you change the formation of the engine you can do even more cylinders (W). If you look at the length and design of some of the cars at the time you could easily have a v24 in without causing much problems in the way of balance, weight ditribution etc. There was very little in the ways of aerodynamic constaints of an engine because aerodynamics was not really understood at the time. So in a V16, even if it was not the most practicle number, nothing sufferd to much because of it. <!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vwdrivervw</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 280z</i>
    <b>A V12 is geometrically balanced, and the displacement can be jacked up pretty high without making the cylinders too big, so it's really the practical maximum number of cylinders. Also, more cylinders means more parts, which means more complexity and less reliability. They probably did it mostly for marketing reasons, cause people like bigger numbers.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> In a v form you can have 16, 18 or 24 cylinders quite practicly as long as you have the displacement (trucks, tractor trailers, and whatnot). If you change the formation of the engine you can do even more cylinders (W). If you look at the length and design of some of the cars at the time you could easily have a v24 in without causing much problems in the way of balance, weight ditribution etc. There was very little in the ways of aerodynamic constaints of an engine because aerodynamics was not really understood at the time. So in a V16, even if it was not the most practicle number, nothing sufferd to much because of it. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

agreed. especially since it actually had quite a bit of power for its day... dudes, 160HP back then was QUITE a piece of power, back when many cars didnt even have 50... <!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Who needs a V16?

Cadillac put a V16 in their car for sheer ego, it served no other engineering purpose then to show the other companies that they had more. If everyone offered "only" V12, wouldn't you want a V16 to trumpet around in? The car even had a huge 'V16' badge on the grille.

13. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Duesey</i>
    <b>Cadillac put a V16 in their car for sheer ego, it served no other engineering purpose then to show the other companies that they had more. If everyone offered "only" V12, wouldn't you want a V16 to trumpet around in? The car even had a huge 'V16' badge on the grille.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Does the extra 4 cylinders increase ride quality? <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Who needs a V16?

normally it would, but back then, I don't think the term "ride quality" even existed. Imagine how horrible suspension was on cars back then? I wouldn't doubt that all the engines of that time were horrible for vibration and such.

15. Re: Who needs a V16?

Generaly more cylinders means a smoother running engine. However I don't see why they put 16 in there. A V12 is the most balanced engine you can build. An inline 6 is equaly well balanced, which would make sence cause it's only half of a V12. Unless you did something crazy like a V32, a V12 is going to be the smoothest and best bet for a big engine.

16. Re: Who needs a V16?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from vwdrivervw</i>

Its still a bit of a waste of time.

17. Re: Who needs a V16?

Before taunting an engine, or a whole era of engines, for being full of vibrations, try taking a ride in a car with one. I've riden in 70 year old cars before and they are just a smooth as the Honda's of today.

18. Re: Who needs a V16?

The reason why it had so many cylinders what becasue back then the only way to make your engine more powerful is to have more clyinders. Plus they got braging rights with tan engine that size.

19. Re: Who needs a V16?

V16 is only for bragging rights.
    I mean back then, during the depression, wouldn't you want to drive a V16 and brag about it?

20. Re: Who needs a V16?

i dont know im fine with my inline 6............it gets me around a lot faster than this thing ever could

21. Re: Who needs a V16?

EXACTLY!! it was all about bragging rights. no wonder the term "conspicuous consumption" is sometimes attributed to V-16 Cadillacs. If it's a cadillac, put practicality behind you, there was always the ego factor involved too

22. Re: Who needs a V16?

hi

this caddy was probably the best american car ever built in the 30's .The v16 was one of the best engineered engines.It was very smooth to ride and a perfectly well enginered engine.
    the v16 is now a higly after saught collectible it is a legend like duesenbergs, packards, auburn and cords.

regards

426hemistage8

23. Re:

V-16 are used by volvo penta (for boats)

24. Re: Who needs a V16?

I very much agree with that.