Who pays?!

Discussion in '1962 Ferrari 250 GTO' started by Duesey, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Who pays?!

Not the value of this car but the value of a very special 250 GTO. It just goes to show how much history costs in the car world. The 250 GTO you're thinking of was the car that won the 1963 LeMans, but that is not all it did. After winning LeMans, it drove to Paris, a 4 hour drive, for an after race party, solidifing this Ferrari's place as the ultimate gentleman's racer (drive it to the track and then drive home). A regular 250 GTO, one of the other less notable 35 built will run b/t $3-6 million. Also, the car that won LeMans isn't worth $9 million, that was its estimate, it didn't sell, which means that the 1930 Bugatti Type 41 Coupe, body by Kellner, is still the world's most expensive auction piece, garnering $8.6 million in 1986.

2. Re: Who pays?!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Jim</i>
    <b>The value of this car is now about $9 Million.
    For that you can buy about 50 new Ferrari's!
    But i can understand why people pay that for this car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->its a bloody classic!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Who pays?!

People pay that kind of money because it isn't really just a car anymore......its a work of art, a masterpiece for that matter. A car can be just a car like a painting can be just a painting; who makes it is what matters. Some of the cars Pininfarina designs are like the paintings that Da Vinci and Monet painted; they're works of art. Thats why you see paintings being sold for half a billion dollars.....same principle applies to the Ferrari GTO.

---------------------------------
    Ferrari. Nothing else comes close.

4. Re: Who pays?!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from VMIFerrari</i>
    <b>People pay that kind of money because it isn't really just a car anymore......its a work of art, a masterpiece for that matter. A car can be just a car like a painting can be just a painting; who makes it is what matters. Some of the cars Pininfarina designs are like the paintings that Da Vinci and Monet painted; they're works of art. Thats why you see paintings being sold for half a billion dollars.....same principle applies to the Ferrari GTO.

---------------------------------
    Ferrari. Nothing else comes close. </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->nevertheless its a Ferrari!<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Who pays?!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Duesey</i>
    <b>Not the value of this car but the value of a very special 250 GTO. It just goes to show how much history costs in the car world. The 250 GTO you're thinking of was the car that won the 1963 LeMans, but that is not all it did. After winning LeMans, it drove to Paris, a 4 hour drive, for an after race party, solidifing this Ferrari's place as the ultimate gentleman's racer (drive it to the track and then drive home). A regular 250 GTO, one of the other less notable 35 built will run b/t $3-6 million. Also, the car that won LeMans isn't worth $9 million, that was its estimate, it didn't sell, which means that the 1930 Bugatti Type 41 Coupe, body by Kellner, is still the world's most expensive auction piece, garnering $8.6 million in 1986.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Is the Type 41 Coupe different from the Type 41 Royale? I know that there were only 6 Royales made. But a 250 GTO went to auction several years back (sorry, I couldn't find the details) and it went for around $15 million dollars. I usually don't say anything that I can't back up, but I tried to contact Christie's at their website, but had difficulties. Have a nice day.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Who pays?!

only #%$s like you

7. Re: Who pays?!

Is there any way we can expell this guy? He is infesting this site with his ignorance and stupidity.

8. Re: Who pays?!

how many of these were made then look at the price and compare

9. Re: Who pays?!

When you have enough money to buy one, it doesnt matter because money isnt an issue if you can afford one

10. Re: Who pays?!

people see it as art and the 250gto is a bloody classic work of art

11. Re: Who pays?!

rich people of course!!!!!!!!!!

12. Re: Who pays?!

Filthy rich people!(lucky bastards,it's not fair..sigh..)

15. I love this car. It's fast, it's beautiful, and it's just so special. Many people consider this the greatest car of all time. I personally wouldn't go that far. I'd rather say that it's "the purest distillation of the road-going GT car." Don't shoot me for saying this, but I'd rather have a 512 S (too bad it's a race car). Much love to all GTO fans!

16. Who pays this kind of money? Seriously wealthy collectors who wish to become this car's caretaker, not just an owner who can do with it what he wishes. Each one is an important part of motoring and racing history. At the GTO's price, a car becomes an investment, not just a means of transportation or even a weekend toy.

17. i saw a $28.5 million ferrari 250 gto crash . i sure felt sorry forr the driver cuz it shur isnt worth it lolololol =P

18. too darnedd bloody expensive