who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

Discussion in '1998 Mazda Pettit Racing RX-7 Banzai' started by MaverickAG, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

Haha, "only 549 hp".. Are you fuc*in crazy??? 549 hp is too much for any street car, doesn't matter if it is 3 or 4 or 72 rotary engine, or if it's some Otto engine... "only 549hp" hehehe...

See ya later...

2. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

I believe that 549Hp is an awful lot of power. I think that any human being that puts more than 300Hp in a road car and drives it on the street is more or less looking for bragging rights. And those who insist on bragging about their Civics with 300+ Hp are retarded, you can't drive that with out slicks. You would fall victim to what people call uncontrollable wheel spin. So to any one with a civic with more than 200Hp, you're idiots, and to every one witha civic, get a real car, so #$%# you.

3. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

RX7Biggz, that would have to be the RX7.com car driven by Ari Yallon.

4. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

its also mad light~

5. #30 jon8rfc, Oct 30, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

I had a chance to meet Derrick this past weekend at Alamo Rotary here in San Antonio, TX. I talked to him for about 20 minutes and got to check out his amazing RX-7 with a 20B motor and a single turbo. He said when running the single turbo at 20lbs boost that it will easily spin the tires in 1-4 gears. He didn't do the BIG BIG turbo because he didn't want ONLY high end power. It sounded VERY nice, he revved the engine for me and man that things revs up INSTANTLY. Check out his car at

http://alamorotary.com/Projects_Derrick.htm

and

http://www.3rotorrx7.com/

What a machine, what a machine :D

6. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

It's funny when I listen to people make stupid statements about how much power a car is putting out. Only 549 bhp, did they say at anytime that they were going for max power on a 3 rotor? I don't remember hearing that, if you think this is sad...how about the Twin Turbo Viper 800 (with ONLY 800 bhp from a V10)? Or how about the Twin Turbo F50??? Just think about it, you don't build a car to get maximum power all the time, sometimes it's more than that...think before you speak (does that fact that the McLaren F1 weighs less, AND has more horsepower mean it's slow??? Since this car does 241mph...)

7. #32 Run Away, Dec 14, 2002

He does, it is lisred on his website and I'm looking at his 3-rotor right now in the Supertuner Challenge in Car and Driver. It came in second place but also had two or three things go wrong with in, such as an problem with a valve that caused boost to skyrocket. In conparison, this car could be your everyday driver. For the best description of RX-7 engines and how to tune them, go to www.sportcompactcarweb.com and read up on their RX-7 project car(follow the links).

8. Torque

The pettit racing site says that this car has 650 ft lbs of torque, and a estimated top speed of 240, and i believe the price is $35,000.

9. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

A properly tuned NA 20b could make somewhere around 500hp, so this seems like a very understated car. I think they have a good reason, less load on the engine better reliability makes a more driveable car. I really like this car I don't see how anyone really couldn't, anyone who has heard a 3 rotar knows what I mean when I **Drool**.

10. #35 Thor Lancelot, Feb 25, 2003

I agree with the reliability but what we want is horsepower
    and I think that a 3 rotor engine can make more than 800 horsepower
    my 91 rx7 is a 2 rotor has 419 horsepower and its only 2 rotor.
    http://www.geocities.com/danyrx7/1

11. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

only 549bhp???? maybe you dont realize that this car is very lite!!! 549bhp in a light car is INSANE!!! hey, the World Rally Championship cars are restricted to 300bhp and they are not slow at all!!!

12. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

only 12 psi? the lingenfelter corvette runs 10 lbs and put out 802 hp...how good is ur rotary now asshole

13. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

well said

14. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

yeah, thats all gearing...they also can barrly go over 100mph

15. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

HEY MORON!

Look at the displacement 2 liters!

Try a 4-Rotor R36B 700 Horses N/A!

Take your V-8 and put it were it will fit up your Ass!

16. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

Your a tool, the engine in the lingenfelter is more than 3 times the cubic capacity of the 20b. if you take capacity into account. a 7 litre rotary running 10 pounds would make 1600 bhp.

Pushrod v8s are for men with micropenis syndrome.

Havnt you ever heard the well known frase: 'God invented v8s to keep the dickheads out of rotaries'?

17. Re: who thinks its odd that it only has 549 bhp?

Still, going from 270 to 550 is still pretty good. Even tho it should have more with a 3 rotar engine, most people dont want over 600 hp, It scares them. Have you ever drove a 800-900 hp engine? It actually isn't all what its worked up to be. If your going to fast with a 800-900 hp engine, The results can be nasty. Most of the time you spin out or youblow a tire or engine. It's not all that fun. I should know, I competed in a street car drag with my friends new civic and almost crashed into the wall doing about 130. so 550 hp is alot more then any normal car so don't be hating it because of the amout of horsepower it has.

18. Its funny to see the whole "Rotary vs Piston" still going. Yeah you can make 900hp on a 13B but do you know how much crap you have to go through to make it handle that power. The ol saying is still true... theres no replacement for displacement. The 20B is a better choice for more power. As for 550hp... the car does low 11's in the quarter. Not bad considering Viper,Z06,911,etc.. all cost more and are slower.