who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

Discussion in '1991 Detomaso Pantera 2' started by fords are slow, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

not me. unless the accel times are really good because the top speed on this V8 is only 146. the 6sp Supra will do 160+ unlimited

2. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

Well, I'm not one to argue with a guru, but i'm a HUGE fan of the DeTomaso Pantera, especially the older ones (circa. 1974). But I also love the Supra, so I can't decide. I'm not really into the Ford V8, but it's in a Pantera. Decisions, decisions.......

3. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

straight line the pantera has a shot. on a course, though the supra will decimate. its newer though so its unfair to compare the two

4. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

The Supra dominates both ways.

5. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

Well it would depend on if the supra is fixed up or not!!!

6. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

I think so. Supras are good, but not the best.

7. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

A Pantera could destroy a Supra. A Pantera can have better mods done...and please don't start saying "Oh but Supra's can have the most mods" because a Pantera can have more mods. Stock, a Supra will win.

8. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

A Pantera could destroy a Supra. A Pantera can have better mods done...and please don't start saying "Oh but Supra's can have the most mods" because a Pantera can have more mods. Stock, a Supra will win.

9. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

NOt Supras have way more mods available then this,and it will rape this car stock too.Facts this car weighs about the same as Supra
    but has 20 less bhp stock and lower top speed sorry Supra wins
    stock or modded(if they are both stock or modded) no contest!
    this car looks perty cool but I don't like the stupid ford Engine
    ,that's the only thing i would change perty much on it.
    Hell I would throw in a Supra TT engine,lol then this well be a car,lol.
    Imports rule!

10. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

INDEED!

11. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

Amen brother,Supra owns this car!

12. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

Damn straight!

13. #14 theHammer, Mar 20, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

What is with the goobers that can't read the specs posted on the board they post to?
    Supra beats Pantera? Not even the same league.

HMM. Well, this is a 1991 Pantera II.
    Curb weight 3300 lbs. Horsepower, 305.

Lets compare to a Supra, same era. Shall we?

Supra, 1993.
    Curb weight 3450 lbs. Horsepower (with TWIN TURBO) 320.

How does the Supra look superior in power here? (It has a smidge more power, but weighs 150 lbs more! Do the math, the power to weight ratio for both works out essentially the same. If the Pantera is weak-suck, so is the Supra. )

Anyway, by the time the last Panteras were made in the 1990's, it had morphed into sort of a sports/luxury GT (and switched to the 5.0 because the 5.8 was no longer available from Ford). It was by then aimed at the guy who wanted something that felt like a racecar, but had the luxury expected of an upscale European luxury coupe.

The 1980's Panteras weighed even less, and still packed a 350 hp 5.8 liter. Back in the days when 200hp was "hot" in a Mustang or Camaro, the Pantera had them beat by 150hp! (Yep, 350hp back when the Supra was still trying to become a contender, and cope with Shelby Chargers!)

Not to mention, the Pantera fast became, and still is, a kind of cult car. Most owners tweak them. I haven't seen that many "pure" stock. The Ford small-blocks easily make 400+ hp with a minimum of mods (usually just some adjusting).

As to modified's:
    I ran across one Pantera online the other day ( http://www.pim.net/patbrwn103.html )that at first glance appears stock, but was "enhanced". The car was perfectly restored and more, and had every refinement one might expect of a Lambo, or Ferrari.
    The engine was an all aluminum 427 based on the 351C block.
    Nitrous provided instant kick, and tapered off (computer controlled) to allow twin-turbos to kick in. Horsepower output?
    1000hp.
    It's builders assert 200mph + no sweat for this car.
    The total cost of this really fine car (including the initial investment in a clean 1970's starter)- $95,000. I've heard about dorks spending nearly that much (see "The Fast and the Furious" if you're not up on the boy-racer league) on a Supra or Celica that isn't half the car!
    Nor will a hot-rodded Supra remain a prized collectible like a Pantera. In ten years, that super-Pantera will still be worth at least $95,000 asking price, probably more. (A stock 1970's Pantera that sold for $9,000 - $10,000 can easily bring $25,000 - $35,000 today, if the owner will part with it!) Supra? Hah!
    And if you aren't satisfied with the pure aesthetic experience of driving one, a Pantera can be morphed into a total killer exotic for a price that wouldn't be but a down payment on an Enzo (which couldn't keep up with the car I mentioned above)! (Stock they were no slouch, and even the later more expensive -1980's and forward- ones usually cost about half, or less, what you'd pay for those other Euro GT's. Example: The very lavishly appointed 1990's Pantera's went for about $115,000 when a similar Lambo was $250,000.)
    On handling: the Pantera suspension is set up like a GT (-they have been raced in Group 4 and 5, and at Lemans), with a midship engine.
    Those guys that think they'll out corner one in a front engine car, GOOD LUCK.

Respect the Pantera.
    Or, disrespect, at your own risk. But you may find yourself kicked to the curb if you cross the wrong one.

TheHammer

14. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

its quite obvious at this point that the supra will always defeat the pantera, this thing is way to heavy and doesn't have enough power.

15. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

If you compare the 91 Pantera and a 91 Supra (Mk3 Supra. 232 hp) the Pantera would win no question. If you compare it to the 1993+ Mk4 then they are comparable in stock trim. As far as mods go keep in mind that every mod you can make to a Supra you can also make to the ford 5.0 in the Pantera, but the Pantera will always have more displacement.
    And to the comment made by theHammer about the Pantera beating the Enzo. Quit smoking crack. The only way that Pantera could beat the Enzo in a drag racing is if it was set up for drag-race-only. And then it wouldn't be worth anything on the street. And NO Pantera would ever touch an Enzo anywhere else.

16. Re: who thinks this car will beat a toyota supra?

skylineluva right the supra would kill it but panteras an older car

17. A stock Supra couldn't even beat a Stock camaro let alone a Pantera. This car will distory a Supra in every aspect. Perhaps an early 70's pantera but that would be unfair.

18. I hope you #$%#ing DIE!

19. Who thinks you are a #$%#ing idiot?

I, for one!

20. yeah i do agree that the supra would barely have the edge stock, i know for a fact that the pantera can be rigged at 2000+bhp... This dude has one with two 350s in there mounted to a british ford tranny? guy takes it to the course 5 times a year and thats it

21. Supra!!! your kidding right, who in there right mind would pick a Toyota over a Pantera.