Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

Discussion in '1985 BMW M5' started by GaylordFocker, Aug 9, 2002.

1. 1985/86 AMG Hammer, 6.0 V8 in the 300E Sedan. 380 HP, bags of torque, 0-60mph in 5.0... bye bye all bimmers in the 80's <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

The only problem was the availability of what you call the "AMG hammer". And that it was just an attempt to stop BMW's newly intented performance sedan, the M5.
    The E28 M5 sold over 20000 times.
    And with it's 286hp 3.5l inline six it was WAY better ingeneered then the 6.0L AMG 380hp engine.

3. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Corax</i>
    <b>The only problem was the availability of what you call the "AMG hammer". And that it was just an attempt to stop BMW's newly intented performance sedan, the M5.
    The E28 M5 sold over 20000 times.
    And with it's 286hp 3.5l inline six it was WAY better ingeneered then the 6.0L AMG 380hp engine.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

yup.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

why are we comparing a V8 6 litre with a 3.5 in-line 6???

5. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

Figuring how Lorinser
    is spelled loenizer
    you friggin n00b I mean cmon a V-8 vs an inlin6 ur a figgin dumbass.
    also mercades suck donkey balls that was just one good mercades out of how mand peices of shit????

6. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

will if your talking about 1985 AMG hammer 6.0L V8 the 1985 5 series alpina B9 turbo will whoop your AMGs @ss

7. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

Who the f*uck are you to call Lorinser a "n00b"? I see he has about 200 more posts than you do. Also, your post wasnt exactly the pinnacle of intelligence so think before you speak.

BTW- I'd love to know what you drive seeing as to how youre dissing Mercedes. You must drive something extremely potent like a Bentley or a Ferrari. Dumbass.

8. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

AMG and M are very different things. M produces potent cars that are still within price reason. AMG tunes cars way past 150,000. a fair comparison would be the AMG against a alpina, hamann, or dinan.

9. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

Mercs don't suck , but how the hell are you gonna say that mercs are SOOOOOO much better then BMW's nowadays ? I would really like to know where you base this on .

10. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

It would be interesting to see how the Benz with a 6.0L engine handles compared to the e28 M5, especially considering that compared with their equivalent BMWs during the time most Mercedes handled like trucks.

I would put the e28 M5 on the track against any Mercedes from the same time, because of its potent yet lightweight engine, near perfect weight distribution, and its unparalled (at the time) suspension.

11. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

ure absolutely right and it was BMW that set the benchmark for performace sedans they had mercedes and other such companys following BMS's fotsteps i think its an awesome car!!

12. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

Wow!!! 380 hp V8 v.s 286 hp inline-6. What an awesome comparison! I only wonder what is going to win that. Hmmmm a tough one!

This comparison is like comparing the Ferrari F60 Enzo with a 660 hp 6.0L V12 to a 1955 BMW Isetta bubblecar with a 13 hp 298cc one cylinder engine. Come on, if you are going to bash a car have a reasonablely close comparison. Example: Lotus Espirit V8 Twin Turbo vs Ferrari 550 Maranello. Now that's a comparison.

13. Re: Whooped to pieces by Mercedes

Some Swedish mag tested e12 Alpina B7s and pushed it from 0 to 100km/h in 4.7sec. It "only" has 330hp and was produced in 1981/1982.

14. Dude, why are you comparing a V* with an i-6????????

15. Plus the Alpina B10 biturbo would screw this up, & It's in reality a BMW.