Why are all the performance trucks automatic.

Discussion in '1964 Morgan +4+ Coupé' started by dont drink and drive get high and fly home, May 12, 2003.

1. the only one now is the Dodge Ram SRT 10 which of course is the best. but this and the Lightning are both 4 speed autos

2. Re: Why are all the performance trucks automatic.

I don't know, good question. Why would even want it manual? you would have to be prettty strong ot move the clutch, and the wife would probably need a bit of help.... but wuold be super good with da stick

3. Re: Why are all the performance trucks automatic.

Pretty strong to move the clutch? lol

4. Re: Why are all the performance trucks automatic.

thats not true, as you pointed out the ram SRT-10 has a stick, but also the dodga dak. R/T you can get in auto or stick, and the Toyota Tacoma S-Runner comes only in stick and the chevy X-treamly slow-10 (not really a performance truck, but kinda sporty) comes in auto or stick.

so really, only the GMC's and the SVT F150 are auto's

5. Re: Why are all the performance trucks automatic.

This topic has been beaten to death in many of the Syclone Typhoon forums.

The Syclone 700R4 tranny is not a slush box. The shift calibration was set up optimally to minimize drops in boost between shifts and best matched to the torque curve of the motor. If the truck was converted to a manual, your 0-60 times would certainly drop.

FWIW,I autocross my truck frequently and turn some very fast times with my HHP Racing auto trans.

6. Re: Why are all the performance trucks automatic.

The reason most new performance trucks are automatics is because the people in society don't know how to shift a stick. They buy these trucks because they want to look good while they talk on a cell phone. Also they DO deliver more tourque during launch.