Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

Discussion in '2000 Lotus M250 Concept' started by F U C K, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Lets face facts, shall we? The Lotus Esprit is the best Lotus ever made (besides their early race cars). The concept cars they make today are nothing in comparison. Not only that but their new designs are sooo far-fetched that they look really stupid; almost like a caricature of themselves. I dare anyone to disagree.

2. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

yeah the esprit has gotta be the best lotus ever.

3. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

personally i like the exige.

4. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

Depends on what you want from a car...

If luxury is your thing, then the Esprit is it. However, the Omega/Carlton is as luxurious as the Esprit, and it has 4 seats, a decent boot, and even more power (377 bhp), however, it's based on an Opel Omega 3000 24v, so it's heavy.

When it comes down to driving however, there are three better cars then the Esprit... The Elise, the Exige and the 340R...

5. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

Nope. It is the second longest production run of a sports car after the Porsche 911.

I don't really think there can be any argument that the current design philosophy is back to what Lotus is best at. If you think that the Esprit is the best Lotus then I can only assume that you are from apart of the world where the Elise is not sold.

The design of the M250 is absolutely stunning. No picture I have seen does it justice. Before dismissing the current and future range of Lotus I implore you to keep an open mind and wait for the pictures of either the Geneva or Detroit motor shows where the M250 is bound to be displayed again now that it is due at the beginning of 2004.

6. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

You are completely correct lotusm111. I love all three of those cars and although the new ones look a lot better, the elise is getting kinda old and i think this would be a good replacement for it. So this is my line-up for elise if i could do it: the m250, the exige, the elise, and the 340R. Although I know the Exige is now impossible for North America, they should change it so that it meets restrictions(so that i can drive one). Also, I am in love with the 340R, as it has the guts of a supercar and the heart of a go-cart. Go Lotus!!!

7. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

I know Esprit is the best production Lotus ever,and as far as why can't they make more cars like it beats the hell out of me!

8. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

Come on man don't f*cking insult lotus/Esprit by comparing it to a f*cking luxury,4 door car,the Esprit is a #$%#ing exotic supercar,not no #$%#ing 4 door pos like the carlton!
    And no the Esprit is way better then an Elise,even though I like the Elise too but it just doesn't compare.The Esprit is faster then the Elise/Exige it's bigger and it's an exotic car.

9. Re: Why can't Lotus design more cars like the Esprit???

i love all the lotus cars but my personal favorite is the original exige but i agree the designs are getting a little over the top, i know their for aerodynamics but the visual appeal is lost.

10. THe exige definitly, but what I really want to see are the new Europas, which Lotus isn't exporting here