Why do all le mans cars look the same

Discussion in '2002 MG EX257' started by Soyari, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

Sparetire is right, Le Mans rules leads the teams to similar results about aerodinamics, more or less the same as F-1.

2. <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

Well, in a way they don't (Vipers and Porsches have little in common for instance) but if you mean thse purpose built cars, it is because of the strict regulations, which narrow the best desighn aspects into a fairly specific type of aeroynamic and mechanical package.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

Yep.
    they have very strict design rules.
    All cars have to be a certain length, width, and height, and weight I believe.
    Not to mention the engine size.

As an engineer with restrictions, you try and build the best balanced car with light weight, good aerodynamics...and this design here give it all.
    Not to mention these cars are turbo and intercooled so they need the air intakes..not to mention the radiatiors need it too!

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

They don't look the same at all !!

The LMP 900 and LMP 675 look the same.

LM GTP are closed cars.

LM GT and LM GTS cars almost look like the stock cars on which they're based on.

6. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

I believe the guy means in the approximate same classes =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

may be , but he has written "all Le Mans cars" , in my mind that includes all the categories.

8. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

::::Feeling the Sarcasm::::::

Man My 88 Ford mustang could woop most of the cars in here. I mean this car has a 4 cylender and uh it's like german and it would have like 3000bizillion miles on it before it got here and my Grandma can walk faster than this guys I mean a 4cylender WHAT ARE THEY THINKING !?!?!?!? And any way the Mc Clarin(lol) Could woop this piece any day!! (lol)

Sound familier? When are these people gonna learn? I think you should have to take a test to post on this site. Like a one question Test like What makes a car move? Or better yet. A test that ask what is your favorite car and if the say McLaren F anything or Bugatti Veyron they should automaticaly be banned. But that's my humble opinion. (sorry if you like either of those vehicle and you Know WHy you like em)<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from oliap</i>
    <b>Sound familier? When are these people gonna learn? I think you should have to take a test to post on this site. Like a one question Test like What makes a car move? Or better yet. A test that ask what is your favorite car and if the say McLaren F anything or Bugatti Veyron they should automaticaly be banned. But that's my humble opinion. (sorry if you like either of those vehicle and you Know WHy you like em)</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

In English please...

10. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

yeah yer all right bbut isn`t wuts on the inside that counts

11. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

They all look the same because that's what aerodynamic efficiency LOOKS like.

12. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

I don't know all that much about Le Mans racing, but one reason is probably because of the rules, as someone said. I think they look the same because one design had the best aerodynamics, with very little drag to have as little air as possible to sacrifice the car's speed, yet still allow a certain amount of air to pass over the cooling ducts. With those air restrictors, they probably need it. I don't believe that they all look the same at all. If you squint hard and look closely, I guarantee that you shall find that they are not that much alike at all. Just because the nose is designed to be a certain shape doesn't mean they're alike. You could mention why all Formula One cars all look the same, though.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

in response to the moron who believes a Mustang could out race this purely based on it having more cylinders - quite why I'm wasting my valuable time trying to explain to someone who would be outwitted by my toaster I don't know, but let's try putting it in terms even your limited intellect would understand

First off, yes, the mustang has more cylinders, and a bigger engine, and also in your cars case, a bigger prick, sitting in the drivers seat, but you'll probably find that this car has an inline 4 because of a class limitation, you'll also find it pumps out about 3 times as much horsepower, weighs a tenth as much and has 10x more grip.

The same as the above applies to the McLaren F1 road car, universally adopted by the species of human much more closely related to monkeys than the rest of us, as the ultimate car simply because it was a straight line speed in excess of 250 MPH, now if Le Mans simply involved driving very fast down 30 miles of road, stopping, executing a 3 point turn and coming back in the opposite direction again for 24 hours, I would readily bow down and admit they were right, but if you look at the F1 which ACTUALLY participated in Le Mans (the F1 GTR) you'll find the top speed was actually less than the new Ferrari 575M road car (which is 202)

To put all the waffle above into a conclusion, it's cornering speed and acceleration that the MG is built for dickhead, go read up before opening your mouth to let all the shit out <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

Oh and also, MG is BRITISH, not German<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

Hehehehe..the F1GTR was slower due to the gear ratio..and aerodynamics. To prevent the engine from blowing or damage..and to prevent the car from sliding out of control..the drivers were instructed not to push as hard..keeping the revs @ a max of like 4000rpm on top gear.
    As with aerodynamics...more downforce = more friction = less speed.
    Simple as that...and yes..there are also other little factors that all contribute.

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

16. #16 4agze, Aug 23, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

LMPs look VERY differnt. The REASON many people THINK they look the same is because they have no knowledge of the details of the design on LMP cars.
    www.mulsannescorner.com
    Look through there, study some of the details, and you will realise how differnt they are.

There are certainly trends that are aparents. If an aerodynmic solution works, many teams do varioations on that same idea.
    For instnace, the seperated front pontoon fenders....succesful aero feature now borrowed in alot of cars.
    But overall, there are MANY differnces in the look of these cars. Even the looks of the LMP675 cars are VERY differnt.
    The differnce between a MG Lola and a WR is night and day.

And in terms of LMPs overall....there is a HUGE differnce. HEck, some are even front engined rear wheel drive.

17. Re: Why do all le mans cars look the same

Look closer. There are subtle differences, but i do agree they do look the same to a degree. But then again, if Audi has the best car, why would you do something completely different? It would be hopeless
    And there are built to strict regs and