Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

Discussion in '2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra' started by V8stangman, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 84FordMan</i>
    <b> I notice it here because egos run high and favoritism comes into play, but I got to witness it first hand today. One of my co-workers had always told me about his 94 Mustang GT (The 5.0L). He hadn't told anyone else in the shop about it, he doesn't brag much. Well he brought it into the shop and he let me, and only me, see what he had under the hood. It wasn't much, he's still working on it, but at the moment he has MSD performance ignition, performance coil, performance distributor cap and rotor. That was it under the hood, other than he had polished the intake. For exhaust, he simply removed the mufflers, ran the pipes straight from the cats. He swapped out the wheels and tires for a better combo, no slicks though.

No one else knew what he had, other than the obvious wheel and tire combo, but everyone, even customers were challenging him to a race. He declined all offers because he doesn't race, yet. He's raced all of once and that was against an insistant 98 Mustang 4.6L owner, which a 5.0L with mods against a stock 4.6L is no contest.

Acuras to Hondas to Chevys to Pontiacs, everyone wanted a piece of this Mustang they knew nothing about.

Why? You don't see people begging to race Civics, Accords or Corrollas, so why are people begging to race a Mustang? I believe it is they feel they have something to prove. They are completely insecure until they know they can beat a Mustang in whatever car they drive. What do you guys think?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I think Mustangs are the standard for a fast car, everyone wants to say "I beat a Mustang".

It's well know as the flag of America (Outside U.S.).

The Mustang is the spirit of '60s, and like his name says, he's born to be wild.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

4agz likes the accusation of "internet racer," yet has no idea what he is talking about himself.

I have approximately $5k invested in a 392-cubic inch Cleveland (Dynoed at 438.6 horses and almost 500 ft/lbs); my goal when I started building the engine was a 400+ hp powerplant that will last over 100,000 miles. So far at almost 5,000 and running stronger than ever. It's naturally aspirated, running on 10.3:1 compression.

Building a 900-horsepower powerplant might cost 10 grand, but to spend $18,000 on it would be a stretch. Spending more would be a shame.

Newer GT's run mid-14's. No stock ricers can keep up with that. And a highly modified wrice burner is looking at a much higher price range than a stock Mustang. If you think you can take a Cobra with a wrice burner, you're on crack.

3. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

Please don't compare engines with worker discounts, it would be like me saying that because I work for Chevy I can get anything they make for factory price. Meaning that I could get a Z06 for about as much as a '03 Cobra, it's just not fair to compare that way.

4. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Dai Zhong The Marvelous Traveler</i>
    <b>Civics, Accords, and Corollas are lighter and cheaper than Mustangs. Perhaps what they are trying to prove, is that you wasted your money. Why only those cars? Why didn't you mention the Integra? Thats a Honda and would smoke your Mustangs. And you know you fear the 300ZXs, Supras, and RX-7s on the road, why didn't anyone mention them?
    With the cash you wasted on your sluggish, ugly and cro-magnon engineered car, you could have a very sweet Supra.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    thats funny because we have a 99 Cobra and we smoked a turbo supra so I dont get where you are coming from

5. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Will938</i>
    <b>Please don't compare engines with worker discounts, it would be like me saying that because I work for Chevy I can get anything they make for factory price. Meaning that I could get a Z06 for about as much as a '03 Cobra, it's just not fair to compare that way.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    DUDE THE 03' ZO6 IS LIKE 50,000 DOLLARS VS. 35,000 RIGHT....AND THATS THE TOP NOTCH CORVETTE THAT IS THE ONLY COMPETITION FOR THE NEW COBRA AND JUST WAIT FOR THE 04' COBRA R'S.

6. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

I just thought it deserved mentioning that if you look around this site you will find a Supra much more powerful than any Mustang on the site.
    By the way, nobody has mentioned the Fairlady yet.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Why Do People Always Challenge a Mustang to a Race?

I think its funny that people are mentioning Mazdas and comparing them in racing to this Mustang. Hello...Ford owns Mazda. Literally. So when you compare Mazdas to this Mustang you are just comparing one Ford to another. Now if you start talking about older Mazdas then have at it, but to compare anything new to it is ludicrous(?).

Does anyone here read mustangs and fast fords magazine. In the 1995 June or July issue, they had an article on a 60's mustang (66 if my memory serves me correctly) that they poured about $10,000 into the engine of. No it wasn't a stock engine they replaced that too. It started out without an engine. They bought a measely 351W, but by the time they were done with it it was a supercharged 373 stroker pushing over 550hp and 600ft/lbs of torque. From the outside it looked virtually stock, but looks can be deceiving. I know what a lot of you are going to respond that with a supercharger it's only pushing 550hp, but that isn't what they designed it for. It was running mid 11s in the quarter. Which isn't all that impressive by itself, but this car was designed to be an everyday driver. By the time they were done with it, it had over 200,000 miles on it. They tested it for fuel efficiency and as long as they didn't hotrod it constantly it got over 20mpg. Considering that the 60's mustangs weren't exactly the lightest cars that isn't bad. What made it so lethal in the 1/4 was the fact that if you hammered it, it developed almost 90% of its horsepower and almost 80% of its torque by the time it hit 2000RPM. Now take that engine and drop it into a newer lighter mustang and let's talk.