why do you...

Discussion in '2002 Honda Civic Type-R' started by Axis of Evil, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Re: why do you...

Again with the talk of a performance modified civic that fast. Another pointless post. Any car with performance modifications is fast. Any car modified with a lowered center of gravity, AWD, more powerful engine, turbocharging... blah blah blah. ANY car with those things is fast. You should just stop writing all together. You just keep saying the same things over and over and over again. Besides why is a civic better than a nissan sentra, toyota corolla, mitsubishi lancer, mazda protege, or even a ford focus (oh no its american). They all have basically the same layout: about 2 litre 4 cylender engine, FWD, about the same price. What is so great about a civic. Seriously tell me. The fate of all cars, ney, the world depends on the knowledge that password is keeping locked up!

2. Re: why do you...

Normal civics are normal, they have better than average fuel economy and awesome reliability,

But civic type R is another story. In Europe, it competes with ST170 (SVT focus), Renault Clio (the FF one with 172hp), and Mini Cooper S. Please keep in mind that the Type R costs the same as the ST170 in Europe. So here’s the comparison. The Type R makes around 30 -40 more hp than its competitors and it has faster acceleration. But the ST170 and Cooper are more fun-to drive and also have slightly better handling. However, on a race track, the Type R beats all of its rivals, and that’s the end of the story.

3. Re: why do you...

I didn't say the type R, I said normal Civics compared to those other cars. I dont know about the Civic Type R or the Focus RS or whatever it is, since they are not available in America. I asked about the Honda Civic. Why does everyone absolutely love the Honda Civic? Why not the other cars I mentioned?

4. Re: why do you...

Oh, lol, sorry!!

I don't really like this generation of civics. I like the EK series more.

5. Re: why do you...

What is the EK series?

6. Re: why do you...

EK series = 1996 - 2000 civics.

7. Re: why do you...

OK, Im a pretty devoted Domestic car guy, but I can except some of the models of ryce out there...The problem that most of us have with the Civics, Integras, and Eclipses is the fact that they are too showy, stupid, and show little respect to the cars that came before them. It is the dumb things like building a "racing" Civic, instaling all the high performance parts, "litening" the vehicle by removing the rear seat and installing racing seats and carbon fiber exterior parts...But in the end, dropping in a $6000 JL audio audio system that completely negates what you just put on the car. Also, the outrageous spoilers, wheels, and exausts are just stupid.

There are imports out there I do like. The Honda Prelude, Hyundai Tiburon, and the previous generation Civic Sis...But Im a domestic guy at heart. Thats why Ive got my 1968 Camaro street car. It was passed down from my father to me, and I continue to race it. The difference between import racing and domestic racing is completely different. Ive driven my friend's cars sevral times, but they never feel fast. The 1993 Prelude Si is a great car, and is very fast for a front driver (with the parts he put on it), but it is really only fun in the twisties. My other friends WRX is just and over-hyped piece of junk that really is decent, but not all that great. My Camaro is made to go in a straight line and handle when needed to...

My daily driver is an import, and a great one at that. Right now ive got a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 6-speed, and it is a great car. However, I am considering a trade-in on a 2004 SRT-4 with a few Mopar mods or a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged. Either way, I would still have a domestic, and I would fit in a little better with the rycer crowd.

8. Re:

CIVIC IS THE BEST CAR EVER BUILT

9. Re: why do you...

LOL

10. naw, it's high 8's.

11. It's the potential the car has that makes it good, I dunno bout the newest Chassis of the Civic, but the Ek, EG and EF chassis Civics were amazingly well balanced, with near 50/50 weight distribution, a good feel and look, using Honda parts it is capable of running 8's in the 1/4 (something that only the Focus out of all of those is capable of).

Stock, the Civic sold in North America is no better performancewise than any of those cars (well, actually, the Civic Si is faster than all of them in acceleration, and it does corner better than all but the Focus). But what really matters is the fact that the Civic Type-R is superior to all of them, in performance, feel, handling, layout, everything, always has been, always will be. I don't care whether it is from here or not, as it's what's available period that really matters. I can have a type-R imported here, or I can wait a few years for them to sell it here.

But what I like about the Civic sold here over those other cars (and I never said it is better btw) is that it is so driver oriented, everything, from steering feedback, to seating position, to control locations, it's all perfectly in tune with the driver, just so well thought out. But that's my personal preference, I never said the Civic Models short of the Type-R are any better than the other cars you mentioned. The previous models are, by far. Previous model Civics are faster and handle way better than all of the previous models of the ones you listed. And that Honda engine sounds right, feels right, and responds perfectly to quick shifts, throttle changes, etc.

Now, are you asking why I would want to take an EF chassis Civic and convert it to AWD and make the engine swap and other modifications rather than use something else as a rally car? Simple (and if you can't understand then you're not a true car enthusiast), I'd be doing something original, something nobody expects, I would have the ultimate sleeper on my hands (an early 90's Civic that can outrun a Viper straightline, and beat a 500hp Open class EVO? unheard of from a privately modified car), it has a 53/47 weight distribution (ideal foundation for a rally car), it's lightweight to begin with, the chassis is very stiff, it's amazingly safe in the event of a rollover (which is guaranteed to happen at some point in a rally career), it's very well in tune with the driver, all the controls are laid out perfectly for split-second control, traction feedback is naturally exceptional. Shall I give you any other reasons?

12. so where do you plan on getting an all-wheel drive drivetrain? hopefully not out of a CR-V or a Pilot. those things cant handle torque for shit. good luck getting that tranny-busting 200 lb. ft. of torque to the wheels....

and about 8 second civics: there are 8 second, full interior mustangs out there. big whoop. hell, there are 9 second rustangs that still have A/C. just a 76mm turbo away. hondas don't have torque. horsepower/liter doesn't matter. horsepower is a function of torque. you need torque to go fast.

13. Actually, whether it has a lot of torque or just a reasonable amount, doesn't really matter, it really only affects what rpm range the powerband is at.

A CRV drivetrain wouldn't fit dumbass.

You do know there was an AWD Civic wagon in the same generation as the EF chassis Civic, right? well, guess what? aside from a slightly longer wheelbase, the dimensions are pretty much the same, so I'm sure I could shoe-horn it in. But I don't think I'll go that route. Instead, I think I'll have a drivetrain custom-built for it, there are two companies in the US that will custom build AWD drivetrains for any car, specifically designed for rally racing. Cost for a reinforced AWD drivetrain on an EF Chassis Civic? $10-$15,000 Cdn.

250lbft torque is all that's needed, with the engine I'd use it'll be pumping out 400hp at 12000rpm.