Why does this engine break down after a while????

Discussion in '2002 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R' started by Asian KILLA, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Why does this engine break down after 80,000 to 100,000 miles? I really want one of these babies bad, first car i ever liked. If you know exactly what your talking about, please let me know on this forum.

If you dont know anything about this, dont say anything, especially you honda #%$s that hate me for hating your weak slow cars.
    Thank you,
    Peace out and GROUND POUNDERS keep burning those ryce bruners on the drag strip.

2. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

it would probably be becoz there is such a high output from a small engine like that one.more stress on the mechanical parts if u know wat i mean.

3. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

Most of the problems with the rotary engine come from the seals. There are lots of sites on the internet that talk about how these engines work in comparison with a tradition engine. You should be able to find out everything you need there.

4. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

if you keep this car well maintained, there should be no reason for the engine to break down.

5. #5 jon8rfc, Sep 3, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

HEAT...heat and abuse cause to the engine and/or turbo's wearing out. There's some reliability upgrades that should be done. Just switching the downpipe to 3" will get rid of a lot more of that exhaust as well as give u a good amount of free horsepower. Mainly it's heat and this makes turbo timing even MORE important on this car than any other. Check out www.rx7.com and www.rx7club.com for some good info. Doing exhaust upgrades to this car isn't like other cars which just get a little more performance out of it, it actually keeps your engine and turbos MUCH healthier and as a bonus, gets you some NICE power gains. Be careful about buying one of these, I'm in the process of buying one myself and it's tough to find the right one. Like I said, check those websites.

6. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

RX7's rotary engine is the best 'wankel' engine evr built, and it will brek down like you say in about 100000 miles, but if you get a larger main cooler, and adjust the exhaust mainpipe (larger or wider) it 'll get more flow and as sayed before, less heat.

7. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

OSTLY THE WANKEL ROTARY ENGINE BREAKS DOWN AFTER 80,000 TO 100,000 MILES BECAUSE THE APEX SEALS BURN OFF OR DESINTEGRATE CUZ OF ALL THE HEAT IN THE ENGINE. HOWEVER U WANT TO CALL IT. BUT LIKE THEY SAY, GET BETTER COOLING SYSTEM AND IT WILL SLOW DOWN THE PROCESS. THEREFORW YOUR ENGINE WILL LAST LONGER.

SUPRA FOR LIFE !!!!!!!

8. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

CAPSLOCK off, again.
    But yes, the maincooling is the proble, so make it cooler.
    But the new RX8, haven't got that proble, mainly because it haven't got a turbo.

9. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

Yes, heat and the wear of the Apex seals cause the engine to wear down faster than those piston engines. If you get a good turbo system, a big intercooler, blow-off valve and wastegate you should be fine. Every engine requires matience, no matter what, so replacing the apex seals is just something that is inreversiable. I think it's a worthy trade-off though for the rotary.

10. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

The seals are the only things that really wear out in a rotary. You can keep replacing seals and your rotary should last indefinatley.
    I know of some that have done over 250,000 miles and still going strong.
    Regular piston engines break down quick if they are mistreated too but you need to treat a rotary well.
    1. They are powerfull engines, so its tempting to drive them hard.
    2. Rotarys hate heat and cold starts. warm them up properly, and keep them well cooled when running.
    3. Swap as many of mazdas dodgy factory parts for aftermarket parts. Especially hoses and pumps.
    4. Few people realise the oil system is also part of the cooling system, that oil & system needs to be kept clean and well maintained.
    5. Aftermarket high performance seals actually last indefinately assuming you drive at regular RPMs.

(hey, in theory 12,000rpm titanium-ceramic alloy seals should last for millions of kilometres at say 2,500rpm).

If you do all those things properly then your rotang should outlast many piston motors.

11. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

probobly becuz it accelerates quicker then most piston engines do and this, after awhile, becum strenuous on the seals and mechanical parts to it. It pumps a great deal of power seeing how it is a small car, it has only a small (yet powerful) engine and it will create wear and tear

12. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

The rotary engine is very powerful for its capacity. Think of it this way.

A star that burns real bright, more so than most. It out shines all those in its presence but the result of that amazing display is the star will go dark quicker than its rivals alongside it.

Nature holds true even in the mechanical world..........

13. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

the only problem that rotary engines have is heat. It isnt true that the apex seals wear out, the problem is that the heat caused by the small surface area of the engine causes detenation which breaks the seal just like when a piston engine blows its head gasket. Just get a better radiator and make sure the engine is getting enough fuel and it should last as long as a piston engine if not longer

14. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

Yeah, all you guys are right. Heat is the one main problem of these engines. Primarily this rotary. There is just too much heat. All the heat causes o-rings and the such to become brittle over time and crack, which allows fluids to leak all over. In a manner of speaking, this is NOT good. Apex seals are another pretty common cause of engine detonation though. Its mostly by people who just throw all sorts of crap on their car and expect it to go fast.

15. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

The reason that rotary engines after a while will mostly disintergrate
    is because most tom dick and harry who get one dont take propper care if it,

if you warm it up and cool it down for a few mins before moving or switching off you can drive it for many years,

you will need to replace seals eventually, but same goes for any engine,

if your rotary is turbo, then fit some racing or drag seals (drag seals can handle 45 + psi) and fit a good turbo timer to it and roberts your fathers brother.

16. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

because there too much horsepower in it and the rotary engine thats in it cant take that much power after a while

17. Re: Why does this engine break down after a while????

its the viens on the rotors that wear out after about 100,000 miles and those r the only things that u would have to replaceif that happens. This car doesn't have a problem with heat or the company would've fitted it with a better exhaust and cooling system.