Why dont they call the new VW supercar Auto Union?

Discussion in '1938 Auto Union Typ D' started by bsc, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Why dont they call the new VW supercar Auto Union?

The name AutoUnion comes from the fusion of Audi, Horch, DKW and Wanderer. The cars were constructed in Zwickau, which is in the east of germany. after WWII Germany was devided and AutoUnion was dispossessed. GDR started to built the "Trabant" (perhaps someone knowes the funny vehicle ;) in Zwickau and in West-Germany they took the old name Audi (latin for Horch), to start the production of cars in Ingolstadt (Bavaria). They couldn't take the name Horch, 'cause of Hitler's association to this name.
    I hope it's a little bit clearer now ;)
    <!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Why dont they call the new VW supercar Auto Union?

some correction to my own posting: It wasn't Audi starting in Ingolstadt, but still AutoUnion, called New AutoUnion. After WWII AutoUnion became part of the DaimlerBenz AG. DB sold the AutoUnion to VW in 1965. That's the year too, when AutoUnion was renamed into Audi.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Why dont they call the new VW supercar Auto Union?

As we see you are preety smart!!Auto Union wasn't VW.It was Audi.And Audi was called AUTO UNION!!!!!!Also Audi wasn't owned by VW that time.

4. Re: Why dont they call the new VW supercar Auto Union?

Auto Union was the name of the group of four rings, was one Audi (the other three are DKW, Wanderer, and Horsch). The Audi name was adopted after WWII, probably to get away from Auto Unions association with Hitler (who helped fund their racing efforts to show the power of the state). VW is probably naming its new supercar a VeeDub, rather than Auto Union as nobody know about Auto Union and VW is trying to move up market (don't ask me why, they already own Audi). I guess in the end you'd just have to ask Ferdinand Piech why it is going to be called a VW rather than Audi.

5. Re: Why dont they call the new VW supercar Auto Union?

Wow you smart man! Bernd Shnieder was the man!

6. I mean VW own Audi and therefore also Auto Union. Whats the point of a supercar whit an unexotic name like VW? I think they sould revive the auto union name :D

7. i think vw are brilliant they dont just own audi they own lamborgini aswell

8. really?!

9. what supercar are you talking about???