why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

Discussion in '1997 Mitsubishi FTO' started by icedupracing, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

yeah when the FTO came out, it seemed every Mitsu enthusiast in America was disappointed that such a sports car would never reach american shores.

The INVECS II engine management system is sweet they said.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

hey, whats up guys. I was reading all the conversations and the FTO is a nice looking car. Yes its got a little supra and other cars in it. But it is very different. In June 2002, two months ago, i bought a 2002 celica w/ action package. The package is just a body kit. Because the new celicas look broke, it has become necessary to have the kit, so the celica looks, sporty. I really wanted an FTO, but i lacked the funds (being only 19) to purchase it and ship it over. If anyone can do that, isnt it legal to have the car over here? I am not really sure, but i would hyave bought one if they were sold here!!! Instead of my celica, which even so is very nice looking!!!!! -HybridCelica69

3. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

What do you think of the GM 454

4. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

I have a mitsubishi fto gpx manual.Let me tell you all something those cars are so underrates.Mine is manual.I recently got it dyno tested the other day.It is doing 210 standdard hp.I have tormented subarus and evos with that car i can;t pass them but they can;t get away either and i have no turbo.I have a new exhaust and air intake system coming suppose to give me 35hp.When that is on see who will catch me.Oh no hondas.I raced type r;s that were modded when i was standeard.I beat all. Hondas are just too overrated.i don;t look at hp that much check out the torque on a honda and you would see why fto will always win plus which type r has climate control.Hmmmmm. Also i hearing guys reasoning that it has the same engine as the eclipse.No it doesn;t.The fto engine is a 2000cc, v6,24valve,twincam,mivec engine.And for all who don;t know what mivec is think of vetec but a smoother vetec and quietter.That does not mean you don't hear when i am coming though.Trust me you will.V6 SOUND WITH VARIABLE VALVE.Tell what will sound better than that

5. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

what will sound better than that? hmmmmmmmm do u want a list?

no ill just name one: RB26DETT

for those that are unfamiliar with this, it is the engine used in the infamous nissan skyline gt-r (r32-r34)

this car is one of the best looking cars to come out of japan (with the exception of rx-7, supra and the r33 gt-r though im a little biased on the latter), but u cant really compare it to other cars because its a v6 non-turbo

what else is there? ummm 350z will leave it for dead, i cant think of any others except maybe the skyline gts or supra sz-r which i think the race order between the 4 would be:

1. 350z by a loooooong shot
    2. supra sz-r
    3. fto gp versionR
    4. skyline gts

though id be willing to bet that a mitsibishi magna v6 could beat this, although its a family car i know a guy with an '00 VX HSV Clubsport R8 who got ripped by a standard magna, not even the VR-X!! funny stuff coz i dont like the guy (i suppose this is why mitsubishi's motto for the magna was "MITSUBISHI HAS BUILT A V8 KILLER", but the magna is like 165kw FWD and the HSV is 255 RWD with traction control!)

but dont compare it to 4cyl non-turbo's, or 4-cyl turbo's either coz the s14 or s15 silvias, celica gt-4 and the lancer GSR would all rip this to shreads

though if u turbo's the mivec v6 it could be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

6. #31 1 Evolution VIII, Mar 28, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

They don't export to the us because they are right hand drive. if you really want one go to www.alljapanperformance.com.au that is an australian website that will import cars to the us

7. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

I don't think that's the reason why Mitsubishi has kept the FTO from reaching US dealerships.

I mean, it really ain't that expensive to switch the dash and controls from left to right hand drive... or vice versa,

8. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

The sad thing about The Fast and The Furious is import prices rose afterwards. I mean, granted, I owe that movie for initially getting me into cars, but I hate the way people watch the move now and with no research into the market, they think they know everything. I have this odd thirst for knowledge about cars, I LOVE learning about them, and will do so at every chance I get.

But as for the FTO, as well as other JDM greats, it is to bad they keep all the good things. Sure, we get the SC300, but we don't get the Soarer. And hey, we get a 240SX, but we miss out on the 200hp+ Silvia. And it's a shame we get a the IS300 but no Altezza. Oh how life would be grand if we got the Type R. BUT. Think of it this way. Those cars that are unattainable by normal means make them that much more exotic. Ever think of it that way?

9. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

Hot car, should have come to fruition. Needs a turbo 4 rather than the six or a more powerful six. Styling is great and yes it does look like a Supra, but yet it still has some originality to it.

10. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

yup

11. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

They dont sell It in the US For 2 REasons 1 The Emissions in Japan they have like no emissions laws and 2 bring it here it would have a lot less power like a EVO 8.Another is crash safety. Japanes dont care about vrashes so mitsubishi would have 2 redesign the car like the EVO 8 again.For all u Honda Luverz the FTO is faster than a Integra TYpe R (ITs True I did my homework.)and the FTO can be bought from 7000-16000 US DOllars while an Integra Type R is from 19000-26000 US DOllars. ALso the FTO is the Fastest Small Engine Sport Compact out of Japan. The reason we dont get the FTO is mainly because we have the Eclipse. Which is a little Faster than the FTO because of the 210 HP more torque 4CYlinder.Have U NOticed The Eclipse is not made or sold OIn Japan. So we get Eclipse They get FTO. Like we get regular Galant they get 3000GT engine powered TT monster. Its a shame we dont get it but if we did wed probably get a like 150 Hp heavy ugly FTO. So its easier to just import 1.So u have 2 see the reasons we dont get it.

12. Re: why don't they sell it in the U.S.?

The FTO is faster than the Type R? Im assuming you are only talking about the GPX & GP-R models & not the GR & GS models...

13. I like the FTO. I think it looks much better than the Civic. pleuh. But I like the WRX much better. But this is not the WRX room. lol. Well I love the aggressive rounded body style. And that spoiler. mmmmmmm. The Celica and RSX look nice as well. But I dont have any technical input. Dont know alot about stuff like that. Speed, Torque, Acceleration all that. Oh well I know what I like.

14. I like the FTO. I think it looks much better than the Civic. pleuh. But I like the WRX much better. But this is not the WRX room. lol. Well I love the aggressive rounded body style. And that spoiler. mmmmmmm. The Celica and RSX look nice as well. But I dont have any technical input. Dont know alot about stuff like that. Speed, Torque, Acceleration all that. Oh well I know what I like.

15. I like the FTO. I think it looks much better than the Civic. pleuh. But I like the WRX much better. But this is not the WRX room. lol. Well I love the aggressive rounded body style. And that spoiler. mmmmmmm. The Celica and RSX look nice as well. But I dont have any technical input. Dont know alot about stuff like that. Speed, Torque, Acceleration all that. Oh well I know what I like.