Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Discussion in '2000 Ferrari 360 Modena' started by CarreraGtRacer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. The 911 Turbo beat the 360 Modena in the quarter mile and yet it costs a bit more then 911 Turbo costs. Why get the 360 when you can have the Turbo? Well I understand for the label of Ferrari but trust me people like the label of Porsche just as much. No need to get pissed because this car is awesome but just a question on my mind.

2. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

I have neveer seen any 360 Modena for twice the price of a 911 turbo, are you sure of that?

The reason that someone would have to buy a 360 Modena is that they would want a car made by the most successfull factory in F1, which is the epitomy of all motorsport. Or maybe becaue they want a RWD mid-engine car, and not an AWD rear-engine car. Another reason cuold be simply because of the appearence. Or maybe even because of the Ferrari badge.

There are plenty of reasons...

3. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

My bad the price is relatively closer then I expected but still...The Ferrari badge is all great but I sure wouldn't mind haveing a Porsche badge on my car. Ferrari may be the most successful F1 team but the only reason is that Porsche isn't there. Porsche dominated LeMans for so long and the cars they make are wonderful even til now. RWD is good for acceleration and yet the Turbo is still faster in 0-60. Now I don't want everyone to get pissed off at me I just want a few good reasons juse like Led Zep gave me.

4. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Frick, give me either car and I'll be happy =D When you get into cars this beastly and awesome, it's hard to choose....

5. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

A ferrari 360Modena is rated better than a porshe 911turbo it is the & since u sad that a porshe 911 turbo is half the price of 360 modena i don't know where did u find it i think u dreamed about it the 360 modena 4 sure has 2 be more richer cause it is a ferrari & a ferarri has more history than porshe

6. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Whoa whoa...Did I read write? Ferrari with more history then Porsche? I have no clue what your talking about but boy are you wrong.

7. Re:

360 Modena has passion,I bet you've never been in a ferrari before,360 is much lighter,with a much stiffer suspension setting,much smoother engine(naturally aspired,can rev up to 8800rpm) than the turbo.The 360 feels much better than the turbo.

8. Re: Re:

And you know this cuz you have driven both?

9. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

The 9/11 turbo and the f360 are both amazing cars, but the Modena has an advantage as far as technology and handling, being derived from Ferrari's Formula 1 experience. these advantages include variable valve timing in the engine, f-1 transmission, and more refined aerodynamics. Both cars are great, though!

10. Re:

There are a lot of road reports out there,and I been in a 996t
    twice,My dad has a 348 tb and a 911 996 carrera.

11. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

You would get the ferrari because its a collectors item, not a cheap car that you see on the road 24/7. If you want a racing car to compare against pic a 550 or 575 maranello. then see wats gonna happen.

12. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

the Turbo isn't HALF the price of this.
    and ppl would get a porsche if they don't want a flashy car like the 360, and wanna use their car as a daily driver...

13. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

I have little faith in Porsche My friend just bought a 97 Boxer and it barley kicks my 96 mazda Mx-5's(miata) ass which I sold today by the way. And no im not talking #$%#ing drag race im talking driving down country roads he spun out around a turn trying to keep up with me in his porsche and his tires are fairly wider and his car cost A shitload more than my 5000$ mazda. (more or less proves porsche is overpriced) But anyway back to 911 Vs any Ferrari yeah it can beat some but who the hell would want to buy a porsche over a Ferrari Ive seen one Ferrari in a parking lot in Florida( windows were down and i jumped inside and had friend take a picture) Ive seen and drove countless porsches and Ferrari's are much more rare and desirable

14. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

jeez man you are so very wrong. Lets get started on the names of the cars, they are called 911 and 360 the f was used for F355s and other great cars by Ferrari, #2 technology better in ferrari? whats it got huh? the Porsche has a 4WD system that changes torque distribution from 95/5 to 60/40 now thats some technology for ya. If you think that transmission is F1 technology then think again. It is world renound for its slow changes and people would rather buy the manual because they know its more sporting and faster (in Britain). Aerodynamics is a shamble. Driver both these cars at 190mph and you'll see which one is more stable. 911 twin turbo is an amazing car

15. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Personally I think the 360 is the most beautiful car I have ever seen, and I'm not a big fan of turbocharging in general. I'm definitely biased towards Ferrari, and I can't say that I'd have a good reason for buying a 360 over the turbo (which I would do without a second thought) besides that it's my personal preference.

16. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Look I said I didn't expect the prices to be as close as they were. I guess its more about opinion. And as for you Miata beating the Boxster...I don't think so.

17. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

There isnt really anything spectacular about the 996 Turbo apart that it is developed further from the 996 chassis. Yes, a £55'000 car. The AWD system was derived from the system used in the - again, cheaper Carerra 4 and the water-cooled six cylinder got twin turbo-chargers. Many 996 (Turbo or Carerra) parts are shared with £35'000 Boxsters.

On the other hand, the 360 Modena wasnt about bang for your buck or high-speed 200MPH racing. Picture the F355, which was hailed a great drivers car and a formidible track car for club racers around the world. Ferrari made the 360 more roomy, lighter, stiffer, more powerful and quicker than the F355, and you can see why they had to charge more than most cars out there. Over 5400 hours were spent in wind-tunnel work. A semi-unitary, space frame body built from the ground up and an all alloy V8 with sophisticated variable valve timing system, and the fact that the engine and body was hand made shows the 360 is no normal performance GT.

Ferraris like these are not just built for speed. There are qualities that you can touch, see, experience and acknowledge that make an exotic car be perceived to be worth its asking price, it is not just about 1/4 mile and 0-60.

18. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Well first off, look at the name your using, Ferrari, the name speaks for itself, and second, you see way more Porsches around, which means that they are not as rare as a Ferrari, and when i look at a Ferrari , my mouth drops to the floor, literally, and when i see a Porsche, its "hey look theres a Porsche" they arnt that special.

19. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

We're splitting hairs on performance, they are very close. Not everyone would prefer the 360, but for the people who do, here are the reasons:

1) The 360 looks cool. Really cool.
    2) The 360 sounds cool. Really cool.
    2) Ferrari's are cool. Really cool.
    3) Chicks like ferrari's. That's cool.

4) I actually drive a C4 convertible, and would have chosen the turbo if there was a convertible version. The 360 spider sells for about $250k on the secondary market (U.S.), so it is WAY more expensive in everyday life. I KNOW THEY ARE CHEAPER in europe, please don't go off on me. I'm just saying, if you're not on the list, a brokered U.S. spec spider is about $250k. The coupes sell close to list, but I'm a convertible freak, so they don't exist to me.

5) And, oh yeah, just because I want to fit in on this board, the Z06 would beat the heck out of either of these cars (just kidding, relax)

20. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Most likely you have never experienced the sound of these snarling italian V-8's. They surpass the water-cooled inline 6's. Also the presense of the 360 is much more sporty and sexy- put them side by side

21. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

No. He's right- thats not subjective. And the history is filled with a ridiculously larger amount of victories (on and off the track)

22. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

I guess both cars are awesome but I wouldn't mind having either.

23. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

As you can tell by my name I may be A little Biased in my decision, but here are my reasons:
    First of all I view the modena as one of the best looking sportscars of all time which I really dont think anyone can argue with, it is exotic and sporty without being ugly and excentric like so many other sports cars. Also another thing about the car is its 3.6 litre V8 powerplant is asstounding as it redlines at 8500rpm and at 8500rpm it produces 395bhp meaning it has 7.8 lb, per bhp, which i think is extremely impressive. Also when going fast there may be the need to stop suddenly, and the modena has the best brakes out of any car on the market going 60-0mph in 110ft. Also, how often do you see a ferrari? And how often do you see a porsche? The ferrari deffinitley turns more heads. I could go on for days, but those are just some of my reasons

24. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

Let’s not forget that all Porsches are very similar to each other. The first 911 has derived from a Porsche 356B Carrera 2000 (my favourite Porsche). The 911 design hasn’t changed that much through history. This doesn’t make the 911 ugly, because it’s not, but there should be more variety.

Also the 360 his hand built, witch make it more expensive.

25. Re: Why get this if you can get a 911 Turbo for half the price?

and Porsches are not? They are too!