why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp and m

Discussion in '1997 Porsche 911 GT1 Straßenversion' started by ferrari F40 GTE, Aug 10, 2002.

1. i think that this is strange when the 96 gt1 has 600hp and 1150kg is slower than the 97 gt1 that has only 544hp and are 1250 kg!!!!!! one of life`s mitery`s or just Cup regulations?????? I wonder........

2. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

Maybe it has a better tranny, clutch, tyres, etc.

3. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

He's right, Hp and Kw aren't the only part of making a fast car. In the 96 GT1 the drivetran was set up diffrently then the 97GT1. They found out that the 96 GT1 with 600Hp combined with its drivetran left a lot of wasted power, because dealing with aerodynamics you can only get a car to go so fast so quick. So when the made the 97GT1 they tested the aerodynamics more and played with HP & KW. They came to the conclusion that the 97GT1 with 544HP was better. Because of an improved aerodynamics (less air restrition)and a better drivetran let the car go faster quicker. They lower the HP to improve gas milage. Remember they are le mens racecars they races 24Hr races

4. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

Check out the Aerodynamics.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

More downforce for better handeling means more aerodynamic drag and lower top speed. Simple.

6. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

Having too much power can slow you down. I know there's a car that if they skip 2nd gear then they get quicker acceleration times simply because the wheels spin too much in 2nd.
    also torque plays a more important role when it comes to acceleration,the 96 model is supposed to have more also
    It's mo a mixture of gearbox/tyres and new aerodynamics

7. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

NO body knows why, only porsche engeneers have an idea but they are not shure, no body here can say why, is the magic of porsche, is something like god, the faith makes the speed, not the horses.

hehehehehe kiding

8. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

the say the 97 model is more set up for track work rather than accelration and topspeed so it prolly has shorter gearing. shorter gearing means faster acceleration.

9. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

WOW another 3 year old.

10. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

if you didn't notice the "hehehe kidding" part....

idiot

11. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

Ferrari F40 GTE, you signed: "The best place to look for a McLaren F1 GTR is in the rearmirror of a Ferrari F40 GTE!!"

Probably... but do it with full style: F40 LM stage 3 (800 hp).

12. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

well they did tampered alot with aerodynamics, and both had different gear ratios, suspension and the likes.

13. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a

very very thanks dude

Toniferrari, please shut up if u only come to bother, i'm free to say anythink i want if i'm not bothering any body like u are. IDIOT

14. Re: why is the 97 model faster than the 96 when it has less hp a