why is the engine placed transversely?

Discussion in '1968 Lamborghini Miura P400' started by manuel, Aug 10, 2002.

1. it just seems so much easier to place in longitudinally.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

Placing the engine sideways like this helps keep the weight more inside the axles for a lower polar moment of inertia (translating to more agile cornering).

3. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

Also, the rear-end of the Miura is very short compared to say the Diablo which has a long rear-end and almost no nose. If the Miura's engine had to be mounted longitudinally it would not have had that lovely long nose.

4. Re:
    why is the engine placed transversely?

The engine is placed horizontally in order for the engine and gearbox share the same oil, which was inspired by the mini. It also keeps the car very short.

5. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

i did not know that, THANKS!

6. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

wut the

7. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

Some say you get better torque because the flywheel is better positioned to the drive wheels

8. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

Can I just say that I thought I might be able to add something to this thread and instead found myself learning from it?? =) Thanks all...

9. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

tranverse, not horizontal. Horizontal only works with straight engines ie, 1 bank. Tranverse mean the cylinders are lined from left to right on the car. This helps reduce the wheelbase, thus better cornering.

10. Re: why is the engine placed transversely?

it was actually place transversley to keep the body length down, as simple as that