why not toss in the SR20DET?

Discussion in '2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R V Spec' started by buzzbomber, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

um...this car

definitely

2. They should toss in the S14 silvia engine...it has 220hp.if nissan tossed in the SR20DET into the sentra se-r it will be even faster. It will be a really good power to weight.

3. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Yes that's a nice engine choice but I wonder how much would it cost in terms of $$$$ and weight.

The I4 is one of the most powerful engines in its category, its nice to see Nissan is doing the same thing on its entire line up.

I own a gen III Sentra and cant wait to get a replacement for it soon ... my choice would be between this car or the Focus SVT.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Because they created this car as a Family Sedan with the potencial to modify it personally I'd be on the waiting list to get on of these if they had the SR20DET engine in it, but as it stands I'll probly just pick one up when it becomes a little older and toss the engine in it, because I'm quite content with my 83 Supra<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

i thought the silvia engine was discontinued?><!-- Signature -->

6. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Voices</i>
    <b>Because they created this car as a Family Sedan with the potencial to modify it personally I'd be on the waiting list to get on of these if they had the SR20DET engine in it, but as it stands I'll probly just pick one up when it becomes a little older and toss the engine in it, because I'm quite content with my 83 Supra</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->yeah it was designed to be a commuter car
    but then most rice rockets begin life like that.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from JDMraceR</i>
    <b>They should toss in the S14 silvia engine...it has 220hp.if nissan tossed in the SR20DET into the sentra se-r it will be even faster. It will be a really good power to weight.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->First of all the Silvia is RWD and the Sentra is FWD so the SR20's they use in the cars are two different engines. The old SE-R's had an SR20DE in them only producing about 150hp. Nissan made a new engine specifically for this car.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

yea the the silvia is rear wheel drive;but have you heard of the nissan pulsur..in japan...it has a sr20det(220hp). the pulsur is four wheel drive...but you can convert that engine to make it front wheel drive. my friend just put in a sr20det in his 200sx...and it is the pulsur engine that was converted to front wheel drive.

9. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

sr20dets are the best 4 bangers ever made period.Damn nissan sure knows ow to make moters right. I mean 1300+hp out of 3.0 liter inline 6.

10. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Man.. this is one sweet car. I had a 2000 Sentra SE and traded it twords a Sentra SE-R. I would have gotten the V Spec but I figured it's not worth the 3 month wait since I'm going to get a lot of post-factory work done anyway. I havn't been able to get a sub-7.3 second 0-60, though. Kinda dissapointing. The car's got amazing balance and it's so much fun to throw into corners at stupid-ridiculous speeds. It's really easy to drift the back end around even though it's got great weight distribution. I thought my old SE was fun but this thing rocks. The sound system is killer too, BTW.

I'd take this over a Focus SVT any day of the week.

11. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

actually the engine in the se-r is the same 2.5 litre that's in the altima. this is just the beginning of a new generation of se-r. that's why the went with a higher displacement motor......<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Remember the QR series is brand new, in its first year of production, and I have no doubt that they will be improved over the years.

13. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

First of all the SE-r engine is better than the old sr20det. I think the new name is is qr20de, but that doesn't matter. In the silvias you were talking about, the sr20det did put out 220bhp, but in that was with a turbo. The sr20 without the turbo, called the sr20de, in the American 240sx, was pretty much the same engine as the silvia. This was a 2.5 liter i4 that put out about 155bhp to the flywheel. Now the new qr20 engine in the se-r and altima are the next gen sr20 engine. THey are superior. un-turbocharged they get about 175bhp, which is kickin for an NA engine. Now put a turbo on this qr20 engine and see what you have. It should tear apart any sr20 in horsepower and torue. I don't know what knew technology is in the qr20 but it is definately better and more advanced. Now all nissan has to do is put it in a sportscar. An FF car is not a sportscar, and these japanese companies that think so are pissin me off, but that is another issue.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Actually the engine in the americal 240sx is quite different than the japanese counterpart. The engine in the 240sx is the KA24DE I think, which is a more torque-ier engine, and in my opinion, the SR20DE is much better, and mod friendly, but the QR series does seem to be the next gen SR, and slapping a turbo on it can really bump up the HP. The SR in the S15 gets 250hp turbocharged I believe....which is pretty good for a 4banger.

15. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ivanhoe</i>
    <b>Yes that's a nice engine choice but I wonder how much would it cost in terms of $$$$ and weight.

The I4 is one of the most powerful engines in its category, its nice to see Nissan is doing the same thing on its entire line up.

I own a gen III Sentra and cant wait to get a replacement for it soon ... my choice would be between this car or the Focus SVT.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    please, don't go for the focus!
    if u don't listen to me, wait til the warranty expires and you'll seee what i'm talking about, that happens with about ANY ford<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Let us not forget my friends that the SR20DET was not only created for the Godly Silvia S14, but also for the Nissan Sunny/Pulsar GT-iR, which oh so conveniently has the same chassis as this car, pictured above. You yourself could drop one in this baby for less than $3500. So there is your solution.

17. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

AND THE REST Vspec7. I mentioned them ALL in the thread "Nissan is cheap" etc.

They come in the S13 Silvia, one-via, Sileighty and 180sx with 208hp (155Kw), the S14 Silvia/200sx had 197hp (147Kw - Australian spec) and 221hp (165Kw - JDM spec), the N14 pulsar GTi-R produced 231hp (172Kw - had quad throttle bodies too) and the S15 Silvia's are the best, the Australian spec still with only 197hp, but the Jap Spec has an almighty 248hp (185Kw).

2ndly, the QR20DE IS NOT the replacement motor for the SR series!! The SR20VE is!! That's found in the Nissan Pulsar Neo's in SR16VE, SR18VE, and SR20VE models!! The SR16VE (1.6L) produces 134Kw (180hp), the SR18VE (1.8) produces 141Kw (190hp) and the SR20VE (2.0) produces 151Kw (203hp). C yas!! Mafs!!
    <!-- Signature -->

18. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

to corymac it is possible to buy a fwd SR20DET, they are pretty rare but they are still out there

19. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

This engine has much more room for mods than the RB20DET,
    the rpm's are much higher it is also a bigger engine,that means it can go higher in HP.

I am soon to supercharge my Spec V.

And one more thing,
    This car is not a family car,that's why they made the XE,GXE and the CA models.They dont make family cars with sport tuned suspension and limited slip differential.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

Good Idea. Maybe they will come out with a Sentra V-Spec GT-R (lol!) with a SR20DET in it already. Sell it for about 20-25 grand and people with relatively thick billfolds would come in herds to buy it. That would be awesome! <!-- Signature -->

21. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

u can get a front wheel drive SR20DET's they are qutie rare but hey do exist

22. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

sr20det is discontinued. this is suppose to replace the sr20 but it comes no where close to it. the sr20 is just a giant 2.0 litre engine. it has stuff that compares to bulky v6 components. this is a little more compact that the sr20. yes i kno it is a bigger engine litre wise but not internally. OH YAH SUPERCARS.NET MADE A MISTAKE. ITS QR25 NOT 45 (lol 4.5 litres). why not toss in the sr20det ? because its gettin a lil outdated. oh yah and market research #%$gots think this is the way to go....(this is why 240sx here has the ka24)

23. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

someone turboed this car with a Stage 2 turbo with only a 6LB boost....the Qr25 motor put out 250Hp at wheels... not flywheel... at wheels.... it ran a 13.3 1/4....

24. #24 Honda rulez, Sep 19, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  25. Re: why not toss in the SR20DET?

I have a 2001 Sentra SE. Only minor tuning such as colder plugs, adv timing, K&N air filter, Synthetic oil and Duralube. This has brought me to 7.0 seconds. I don't understand why the QR25DE doesn't make it much quicker. Infact two magazines I have read said the v spec is slower than the 2001 se 0-60. I'm waiting to race one. I can tell you that with my wider tires and limited slip I still can't put it to the road, thoes who want 220 hp are dreaming of traction. Although the viscus L/S is a waste of money. It just doesn't do much. Now if only I could compete with my dad's Lexus LS 400. Thats a 4,500 lb rocket compared to mine.