why????? would they ever...

Discussion in '2001 BMW M5' started by dont drink and drive get high and fly home, Apr 17, 2003.

1. limit the cars to 250 kp/h???? they are capable of so much more

2. Re: why????? would they ever...

they limit the cars to 250 kph or 155 mph because in germany there are many that oppose the autobahn and the crazy speeds that they drive on the autobahn. so to in a way shut these autobahn haters up, all the german companies limit their cars to 155 mph so people cant go crazy on the autobahn and any other road for that matter, but you could always just get a new ECU that will take away that limiter. I was talkin to my cousin who is a BMW mechanic and he said that the gear ratios on the M3 would carry that car right into 210 mph.

3. Re: why????? would they ever...

Yes,German car makers except Porsche, plus some other European companies, limit cars to 250km/h (155mph for UK market.) There's no law against de-restricting them, but unless you're going to race it on the track tehre's no point. I've done 250km/h on the autobahn and it's F**KING SCARY!

4. Re: why????? would they ever...

yeh going of the autobahn in traffic is scary, which is why when i was there i took a friend's 911 turbo out at 3a.m on a thurday morning..

5. Re: why????? would they ever...

That's the way to do it. When I want a fast run I drive down to the Dutch border at 9:00 at night; always quiet, and some nice curves to blast round. And no boring speed cameras!