Won't win Le Mans

Discussion in '2002 Morgan Aero 8 GT' started by CorvetteZO6, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Won't win Le Mans

I really can't recall Morgan ever making a touring car, just GT cars. Oh, and i've never heard of the "British Racing League". I know of the British Touring Car Championship and British GT championship, but not the B.R.L. Nonetheless, i do have to agree that this car absolutely will not win its class at Le Mans (an overall victory is entirely out of the question even for the class leading cars). In fact, i'd put good money that this car won't last 1/4 distance of the race since in pre-qualifying the engine blew - broke a valve - after only 11 laps which equals around an hour of running time. Only time will tell if i'm wrong in my merciless bashing of this car, but it really does look like i'm somewhat accurate in my barrage of attacks on this hunk-o'-junk.

2. Re: Won't win Le Mans

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from CorvetteZO6</i>
    <b> Only time will tell if i'm wrong in my merciless bashing of this car, but it really does look like i'm somewhat accurate in my barrage of attacks on this hunk-o'-junk.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

well time has told and you're only partially right... it lasted 18 hours it put a decent showing considering other mechanical failures and could actually do well next year considering they now know some changes that need to be made to perform better...

3. Re: Won't win Le Mans

That's why i think they should have waited until next year to do the biggest sportscar race in the world. It would have been smarter to do some real developement work in the smaller races with some of the teams they raced against at Le Mans (ALMS, FIA GT). Next year i think they will definitely be stronger...On a different note, i believe you were the one that made a remark in a different thread about the 179 mph top speed? Well that is about par for the class i think, but they should actually be able to get higher top speed than the porsches since, technically, the morgan is illegal by virtue of it's windscreen width. Due to its antiquated body sculpting the windscreen is too narrow; ACO rules stipulate that it must be at least a certain percentage of the maximum width of the car (77% is what keeps popping in my head, but i can't find the 2002 technical regulations in english). The Morgan got a special exemption to that rule no matter what the number was, so that puts them at an automatic advantage as far as top speed goes. Plus if that motor really belts out 500 hp (which i doubt) then it has at least 50 hp over the porsches. And i know that Audi won the race, but that has no relevance here since we're talking about GT cars and that is an LMP900 car...Porsche got the GT pole and they won that class. Audi had the LMP900 pole and won that class and the race overall.