wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

Discussion in '2001 Panoz Esperante' started by slinkywizard, Aug 10, 2002.

1. US$80,000 for this??? exsqueese me???

next please.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

TVR fa sho!! the speed 6 will dust the hell out of this mother. <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

1. TVR Speed 6
    2. Panoz Esperante
    3. BMW M3 over Porsche Boxster<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

I would take the speed 12<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

your all missing the point. if you cruise down the streets of what ever city you live in with this car. 1 out of maybe every 5000 ppl would know what your driveing. THATS why Panoz can charge 80 grand for this. plus you dont know how well it drives unless you have driven it. wich is unlikely anyone in this forum has. i'm not saying its better than the boxter or the speed 6. just saying that the reason its so expensive is because it can be.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

I've also heard that the build quality of the TVR's isn't that great, but I've seen the Panoz factory, and the cars look very well put together.

7. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

Boxters are too common and underpowered. Panoz is only making about 600 Esperantes. Compare that to the number of Boxters being made. The Poesche Boxter is a lot cheaper too. Would I take a TVR though? Maybe.

8. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

yes to the boxter, no to the TVR-theyre too frekin ugly!!!<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

tvrugly? not for the last 10 years mate id take a tvr over a boxter (yes i driven both) boxters are way to slow for the money! not exclusive either. i may pay that much for an esperante. not many people in UK would know it!<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

Definitely a TVR!!! Either the Tamora or the Chimaera.
    Remember, we're comparing rag-tops .

When TVR returns to the US market, they would definitely threaten the existence of Panoz.

11. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

I would take a TVR. They're much more rare and exotic than any Boxter (the most common and affordable Porsche). The sad thing about the Panoz Esperante is that most fools on the road think its a Mazda Miata until they get up close.

12. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

A guy in my town has one of these and even though i know about the car i had to see it about 3 times before i realized what it was, from any more than 100ft away this thing looks like a miata or some other little cheap ragtop. It is a nice car but for 90 grand id have to go with a TVR. The boxter isent really a contender b/c you can have about 2.5 of them for the price of a Panoz. The TVR stands out in a crowd and has the handling to boot. A Cerbera 4.5 would be my choice.

13. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

The words "Lemon Laws" keep coming up when talking TVR, but they are certainly stylish cars. I don't see why this would be compared against one though. They appeal to totally different people and would be bought for different purposes. It's more like an NSX.

14. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

TVR
    Boxster
    Esperante

15. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

As for my answer, I'd need a chance to see a TVR up close (sadly, there isn't a single one in Winnipeg). I know the reliability of the Tuscan is nothing to write home about, but I'd have to see the build quility. My list would most likely look like this:

Panoz
    TVR
    Boxter

16. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

I don't see why they shouldn't be able to get away with $80,000. They are hand built and if you buy one, you get it completely costumized just for you. They materials used are exceptional and it's a VERY rare car. Sounds like it should be worth more to me. Why shouldn't Panoz be able to get away with it if Ferrari, Mercedes, Lamborghini ect... can get away with $100-300+ thousand dollars for cars they are a little faster? Is it because it's American? This isn't your typical mass produced American car. This is an exotic. If it had a Ferrari badge on it you people would be talking about how inexpensive it is and how much you wanted one. Give the car a chance people. Soon, this car will have a near (or over) 400hp engine. It is everything a Ferrari is except for the relatively poor handling. I believe that since Panoz is a serious Le-Mans contender, they will be attempting to improve that. I will talk more later. This car is the real deal...

17. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

What the crap are you talkin about? Boxter sucks ($35,000-$42000) TVR maybe. THis car outperforms both(and looks great doin it). This car is fast but the Panoz Esperante RSR is better. It goes 0-60 and 0-100 significantly faster.(0-60 @ 4.3) The RSR though is only a coupe, so you don't get the convertible part. It's worth it though at 600 horses.

18. Re: wouldn't you rather a TVR or Boxter???

Flat out NO! This car evokes a fire inside me where as the others seem boring. I love Panoz! I love that their race cars have dominated for 7 years! despite their controversial design. I love that Panoz makes road cars that are not cookie cutter designs.