Wrong statistics...

Discussion in '1970 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda' started by MericanMussl, Aug 10, 2002.

1. The Challenger and Cuda are the same car outside of body work. Challenger does a 12.052 1/4 mile... Cuda, being lighter, should be faster. Hemi Cudas and Challengers shared every engine part. The rest of the stats are the same as the Challengers, so mix and match for missing information.

2. Re: Wrong statistics...

Bullshit. Mopar Muscle just ran 2 HEMI cars in the most recent issue - each factory stock. The one ran a best of 14.0 and the other 14.1 - your 12 second numbers just flat aren't right, dude.

3. Re: Wrong statistics...

they did but both of those cars were running bias ply tires put slicks on them theyed be running high twelves easy

4. Re: Wrong statistics...

i agree with jades<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Wrong statistics...

Not to metion that the 2 cars in the magazine are extremly valuable. the 71 hemi cuda is a unrestored original survivor. the roadrunner is a 100 point fully restored show car. both of these cars are worth close to $100,000 each. The roadrunner wasn't even driven by the owner it was driven by the guy who restored it. I don,t know about you but I would't push either of those cars very hard.You can go back to some of the car magazines of those times and proffesional drivers got those cars to run low 13's and high 12's even on street tires.

6. Re: Wrong statistics...

if you are talking factory stock, you should be talking factory stock rubber to. and 1970's rubber is not the same as 2002 rubber. and also is the 117 mph top speed right? my little mazda 626 can do that

7. Re: Wrong statistics...

Yes the 117 mph speed is right cause they used short rear axle gears and short overall gear ratio.

8. Re: Wrong statistics...

If they could run 12 second times, it would have showed up in the MPH - and they just didn't have it. With headers, slicks, and some more cam, I'm sure they'd be in the twelves, but even then, a 12 flat is extremely optimistic.

9. Re: Wrong statistics...

you bastards are some really weird people! a hemi needs no other performance modifications to it except oil and plenty of it! a hemi is one of the most perfect race motors ever produced! why do u think hemi engines were banned from drag race use! becasue everyone used it becaseu it is the best! and also with the stock cuda, i believe they had 3:55 gears or 3:73 gears factory stock. i am thinking that they r 3:55 gears. this car isnt made for top speeed! they r made to get to stop light to stop light very quickly! plus whoever said that they would not want to push those cars hard. that is bullshit! i have a 30 year old vette(had two one got wrecked becasue someone pulled out in front of my in an intersection) that has a 3 speed auto and a 350 c.i. motor and i have been in speeds in excess of 130+ mph! so dont tell me that since the cars are old they are fragile becaseu my vette is unrestored! it is bone stock!

10. Re: Wrong statistics...

max i thought you sold the 626
    by the you are a #$%#ing idiot<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Wrong statistics...

What would be the maximum speed of this car?

12. Re: Wrong statistics...

117mph.

13. Re: Wrong statistics...

Ive heard that the cars had so much power they just spun the tires off the line

14. Re: Wrong statistics...

Car and Driver ran a Hemi 'Cuda at 13.1 in there 1971 issue, comparing this car to a Hemi Charger. All original. There's a reason the Hemis got kicked out of NASCAR. Also, the top speed isn't 117 - that's more like the TRAP speed.

Barracuda came out before the Mustang, by the way, not to nitpick.

15. Re: Wrong statistics...

Yeah, but was that w/the old tires they had back then or new ones?

16. Re: Wrong statistics...

you know it seems to me that the only people that bash old mopars are the people who think that a honda civic is a high perf car. any true car enthusiast would never disrespect a car like the the hemi cuda. real car enthusiasts have respect for the old mopars even the chevy and ford guys. they might poke fun at each other but not a mopar. why? because they led the muscle car era, for the most part.

17. Re: Wrong statistics...

True.

You can't bash the Hemi and you can't bash the GM 454/455.

18. Re: Wrong statistics...

or the Chevy 427,396, and the Ford 390...