Your Japanese Project Car Base

Discussion in 'Asian Forums' started by Dcepticon, Dec 11, 2004.

1. It's impossible, you'll spin out and die no matter how good you are.

It's relatively easy to avoid the nastier habits of the midship layout if you simply don't drive like a ham-fisted idiot. Just don't get lazy or stupid and the benefits easily outweigh the risks. However the window of time for recovery is considerably smaller than it is with front engine machines. Once they go, you're pretty much a passenger until the car comes to a stop.

2. I chose the FC. Decently light, reasonable suspension, and can take a wide variety of engines. the 240Z's suspension is rather primitive, and not as good a choice. Drive the two back to back, aven in race form, and it becomes obvious.

But, I have to disagree with S15 on the concepts he brings up. I've LIVED with actual track cars on teh street. it's no fun. Seriously, it's no fun to live with them. That's why the GT isn't a no-compromise track car. it's a no compromise STREET car that doesn't make you wake up the next day requiring medication to move again.

I've lived with cars that required hearing protection to drive (ever driven in a built N/A rotary powered car/ it's like having a pair of chainsaws stra-pped to each shoulder, revving full blast in an echo chamber...) I've realized that that's simply...you guessed it...no fun.

Having a car that's masculine doesn't mean having a car that beats you up.

My V8 RX7 pulled 1.2G laterally and still didn't beat you up. It was loud, but not uncontrolled (no need for hearing protection and you COULD converse at speed). And it was indeed "fun."

No, you dont' need to be in your living room, or have a million electronic devices to "improve" teh safety and driving experience. But you also don't need to go so far as have a gutted race car wth just a roll cage and a race seat, no padding, and no sound deadening.

3. the skyline, RX7, and MR2 are all good

4. Thats what makes a great project chassis, that it has such leeway in how you can tune it. The FC is a great example, the shape, layout, and overall soundness of it allows you to do things with it you can't in other cars without sacrificing alot.

I still picked the Evo III though, its just so fast, reliable and cheap plus theres a bazillion aftermarket parts for it.

5. I deliberately made the GTR in this poll to be a pretty crappy one, the early model with no brembos and no electronic torque split. Its still very easy to drive fast.

6. i would take a fc

7. For a track car, an S13 would really be the ideal Silvia. The S14 weighs more from the start (although not a huge amount), and the initial purchase price of an S13 puts both to shame, leaving far more money left over.

8. NSX with an LS2.

9. Hahah you must be rich... that would be hell to make work together, a 3S-GTE might be a bit easier though.

10. S13 240SX fastback, with an engine swap- torn between red-top SR20DET or an RB25DET.

black with black powder-coated alloys. And dont' swap to the gay Silvia front end, for god's sake.

11. Why would it not work. The LS2 probably wieghs about the same and is about the same size. Everyone would want a 400hp/400lbs*ft in an NSX, that would so rock. Final drive would need to be changed and a different bell housing adapter for the transmission(a step that most of these creations will need), but I think it could work. An inline four will probably be longer than the V6 in the NSX do packaging will be even worse than the small block. The 1UZ-FE would be another neat idea also.

Edit: An extra bonus of an LS2 would be pissing off fanboys. Too bad I could not get a lisence plate that says something like "Hp/l is about as meaningfull as the brand of condom that broke that caused your creation." Maybe that will have to be a bumper sticker.

12. The 240Z. You can put virtually anything under the hood and it had style like w0ah.

13. 280zx 1979

Mainly because that is what I am currently doing...

14. lexus sc, with a 1jz-gte swap and a MT

15. An adapter for the transmission? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're talking about swapping a normally longitudinally mounted engine (the LS2) into a car that stock has a transversely mounted engine (the NSX)... and ALL you think it needs is a different bell housing adapter for the transmission??? I don't think you've done an engine swap before... You would need to find a different transaxle altogether to put the power to the wheels at all, even if by a miracle you could adapt the LS2 to work with the stock NSX transaxle its a stretch to think it would hold the torque.

16. I highly doubt GM has changed the bell housing on the LS2, thus the Getrag/Muncie 282 5-spd transaxle can be used. West Coast Fiero offers bulletproof versions of it and also in 6-spd. Moser Engineering has worked with the Fiero community in producing custom length and strength halfshafts plenty of times in the past.

It can very well be done.

17. Oh..................

Someone do it!!!!! I wanna see/hear it very badly, its a real shame that NSX engine is so gutless, and considering how many supercars use American V8s, could be a very potent concoction.