he Vittorio Jano-designed Lancia Aurelia was a truly revolutionary design, combining high levels of performance luxury into one attractive and compact package. First offered in 1950 in B10 Berlina guise and joined by the B20 GT two-passenger coupé in 1951, the Aurelia created an immediate sensation. The brainchild of Lancia engineer Francesco de Virgilio, it is also considered the first production automobile to utilise V6 power. Mechanically identical to the B10 but with a larger two-litre engine, the B20 GT was designed by Boano, and series production bodywork was carried out by Pinin Farina.
Racing success came swiftly, and in action, the B20 GT silenced any doubts as to its sporting prowess by finishing second in the Mille Miglia in 1951, piloted by Giovanni Bracco and Umberto Maglioli, followed up by victories including first in class and 12th overall at Le Mans. A stunning 1-2-3 finish at the 1952 Targa Florio was followed by another high profile win at the Liege-Rome-Liege Rally in 1953.
1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 4th Series 3126 – sold for €78,400. The example offered here is one of the 4th Series cars, considered by most to be the ultimate B20 GT, with a combination of the earlier models’ lightness and the increased power and improved suspension of the later models. It was completed on 16th June 1954 and first registered in Italy on 5th July. From the early 1970s, it was owned by a Mr Jean Pierre Cornu in Cannes, France and was imported into the Netherlands about 24 years ago. In 1989, it was purchased by a collector who discovered the car in a barn and carried out a complete restoration, finishing the Aurelia in the distinctive ‘Blu Mediterraneo’ paint it now wears. Fitted with the desirable Nardi twin carburettor and alloy airbox, as well as floor shift, it is also said to be equipped with a Nardi sports camshaft, high-compression pistons, balanced crankshaft, lightened flywheel and heavy duty valve springs. The hood with scoop is correct for Nardi-equipped cars, and we understand that when Mr Cornu owned this car in the 1970s, all the Nardi fittings were present. Auction Source: Monaco 2012 by RM Auctions
1954 LANCIA AURELIA GT B20S 4ème SERIE – sold for €94,352. The car exhibited is in metallic grey silver, with the seats covered in red leather and the roof interior in pearl white wool. The gear lever is on the steering wheel and the car has a superb Nardi steering wheel cover in wood. The car has been completely restored and the body entirely stripped and treated. The engine, gearbox, rear axle and suspension have been completely reconditioned. A large file of photos of the restoration comes with the car. It is equipped with Michelin X tyres as it ought to be and is a desirable 4 series, assembled with the de Dion axle with spiral springs clearly facilitating driving and noticeably reducing the tendency to oversteer. It is left-hand drive. These Lancia B20s are eligible almost everywhere for big races such as the historic Monte-Carlo, the Mille Miglia, the Tour de France and the Le Mans Classic. Auction Source: 2011 Salon Rétromobile Aucion by Artcurial
1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT Coupé B203271 – sold for €60,172. The Lancia offered here is a desirable second-series B20 GT, which benefits from the relative simplicity and sophisticated mechanical specifications of the earlier models without the added weight of the later-series cars. Its original old English ‘buff-log’ book indicates it was first registered on 23rd November, 1954. It has more recently been acquired by its owner, an enthusiast and experienced driver who regularly competes in various historic racing events. She acquired this B20 specifically to compete in historic rallyes and has done so very successfully, even appearing on the cover of La vie de l’Auto.
Since acquiring the car, she has commissioned a great deal of mechanical work to prepare it for winter rallyes. More specifically, the heater was rebuilt, the windshield wiper motors were replaced, the steering box was rebuilt, as were the front drum brakes, and the car was fitted with a new clutch, air filter, Bilstein shock absorbers and four new wheels. Driving lights were added, and the bumpers were removed from the car to lend a more sporting appearance, but they accompany the car in the sale. Finally, the interior was equipped with a Tripmaster, rally clock and fire extinguisher. In fact, the car retains its original UK registration 5CMY. Prepared and modified by an experienced racing driver, this Lancia B20 is fully sorted and an ideal entrant for any number of historic racing events. Auction Source: 2010 Automobiles of London by RM Auctions
1952 Lancia B20 GT Works Racing Car – sold for €100,800. The car offered here, chassis 1824, was originally built by Lancia as a “works” factory racing car for drivers Anselmi and Bonetti. In 1952, it finished sixth overall at Mugello, followed by a DNF at Silverstone. In 1953, it scored fourth overall at Most and eighth overall at Hockenheim. In 1960, it was sold by the factory to Peter Jackson and a Mr. von Hof, who ran the car in 13 European races from 1962 through 1976 at circuits including Snetterton, Zandvoort, Cadwell Park, Zolder, Oulton Park and Brands Hatch. The best results were achieved in 1975 at Brands Hatch, where Jackson took pole position, followed by second at Snetterton.
In 2009, 1824 was acquired by the current owner from the son of Mr. von Hof. It was repainted approximately 20 years ago and appears to have never been completely restored. The engine, which is not original to the car but of the correct type, was rebuilt for approximately £16,000, the interior was repainted and new seats have been fitted. 1824 comes with an invoice for the engine work, as well as UK registration documents from 1960. It has been entered into the 2010 Le Mans Classic, and with FIA paperwork from the 1980s, it would also make a great entry into the Sports Car class of the Monaco Historic Grand Prix. Auction Source: 2010 RM Auctions Sporting Classics of Monaco
1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 Coupé – sold for €50,400. The example offered here is a desirable second-series B20 GT, which benefits from the relative simplicity and sophisticated mechanical specifications of the earlier models, without the added weight of the later-series cars. It has never been fully restored and retains that irreplaceable patina of originality only an unrestored car can deliver. Recently, it was refinished in the rare two-tone colour scheme that is believed to have been specially ordered from the factory in period. Offered today from a large Italian collection, this is a wonderful example of the B20 GT, long acclaimed as a driver’s car for the true connoisseur. Auction Source: 2010 RM Auctions Sporting Classics of Monaco