In 1954 a well appointed DB2/4 was send to Graber of Switzerland for custom Drophead Coupé bodywork. Distinct from it’s Tickford-built counterparts, the Graber had many of the typical Aston Martin traits in a much cleaner overall shape.
The car was first ordered by A.N. Norrish Esq. of Genova-Quarto, Italy who sent a bare chassis from Astin Martin to Graber in Wichtrach, Switzerland.
Graber’s techniques differed from those in the UK. For instance, they fashioned the entire front end in aluminum and left everything behind the front windsheild in steel. This let them weld the body directly to the frame. The doors and posts were supported by wooden oak framing.
Details of the car included Bosch switches, Smiths instruments, Marchal lights, Dunlop tires and Armstrong shock absorbers. Naturally, the car had all the hallmarks of the DB2/4 with it’s 125 bhp inline-6.
The car was completed in May of 1955 and sold through the Stierli Garage in Zürich, Switzerland. After spending considerable time in Switzerland, the car was put in long term storage in Basel. There it stayed until 2007 when it was sold to Los Angeles.
Not long after the car was subject to a comprehensive restoration by Kevin Kay Restorations in Redding California. 1000 hours along were spent on the bodywork which was finished in Dove Grey with dark blue leather interior.
Upon completiton the car debuted at the 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and placed third in the Post-War Sports & Touring class.
Series Production Car
Wichtrach, Switzerland, Other
DOHC 2 Valves / Cyl
2580 cc / 157.4 in³
78 mm / 3.07 in
90 mm / 3.54 in
93.2 kw / 125.0 bhp @ 5000 rpm
48.45 bhp per litre
106.02 bhp per tonne
195 nm / 143.8 ft lbs @ 2400 rpm
Front Engine / RWD
Trailing Arms w/Coil Springs, Anti-Roll Bar
Live Axle w/Trailing Links, Panhard Rod, Coil Springs