1958 Aston Martin DB MkIII Gallery
This car is particularly rare as one of 47 with the DBD triple-SU high performance engine producing 180 hp rather than the base 162 hp, left-hand drive and kilometer gauges. Factory extras include a Laycock de Normanville overdrive, twin exhausts, chrome wire road wheels and a wood trimmed steering wheel. Factory records indicate this was M. Patthey’s personal car, at least initially. He was a Swiss Aston Martin importer in Neuchatel who imported 98 Astons throughout his career.
Extensive and fascinating early U.S. racing history. Fitted in period with a DB3S competition head and triple Webers. One of 551 examples built; only five owners from new. Restored for vintage rally and tour competition. Includes FIVA Passport. Matching-numbers engine.
One of Only 84 DB Mk III Drophead Coupes Built. Exceptionally Rare Factory Left-Hand-Drive, Disc-Brake Example. 2001 Concours-Quality Restoration by Marque Expert Kevin Kay. Offered with Books, Tools, and Restoration Records. Ideal for Tours, Rallies, and Concours Events.
From a prominent European collection. Delivered new in France with desirable front disc brakes. Matching numbers and original colours. Well-restored, carefully maintained, and rallied. Accompanied by FIVA papers and an Aston Martin build sheet. Eligible for the Mille Miglia.
Factory left-hand drive, matching numbers. Long-time California car freshly restored by marque specialists. Prepared for show or perfect for road rallies. Includes factory build sheet, tools, and rare owner’s handbook.
Factory Left-Hand-Drive, Matching-Numbers Example. A Rare and Desirable Aston Martin. Single Ownership for Over 30 Years. Recent Restoration Work. Accompanied by a Copy of the Factory Build Sheet, Owner’s Manual and Tools.
According to a copy of its original build sheet, this original left-hand drive example from 1959 was factory-equipped with a hydraulic brake booster, fully chromed road wheels, polished Alfin rear brake drums and a locking glove compartment lid. It was delivered new via Charles Hornburg to its first owner, Mr. G.A. Irving, of South Gate, California. Today, it retains the matching-numbers engine, numbered DBA/1336, and performance is enhanced by approximately ten percent by the dual-outlet exhaust system. The exterior is finished in burgundy and remains in nice condition. This is an older repaint, however, with some flaws apparent under close examination. The engine bay could benefit from freshening, but it does sport the proper toolbox, which is correctly affixed to the scuttle, and the serviceable tan leather interior is set off by an attractive wood-grain steering wheel.
This left-hand drive 1959 DB MKIII is an original California car and has been in its current ownership since 1969. Finished in eye-catching medium British Racing Green, the MKIII underwent an extensive long-term restoration by its talented engineer owner. Every nut and bolt was removed and renewed or replaced to correct specification. It should also be noted that during disassembly all body sections and ancillary parts were verified to have the same Tickford body number (#303). No stone went unturned as every part of this car was taken apart and inspected to be either rebuilt or replaced if necessary.
Rare and Sought-After, Late-Production Mark III. Left-Hand Drive, Matching-Numbers Example. Long-Time California Car. Originally Equipped with Overdrive. Lovely Pacific Blue over Grey Color Combination. Eligible for Vintage Rallies, Shows and AMOC Events. Offered with BMI Heritage Trust Certificate.
The penultimate owner purchased the car in 1974 and kept it for the next 34 years, covering approximately 20,000 miles. Recorded mileage in 1974 was approximately 59,000, so there is good reason to believe that the current total of 79,697 is true. The car was extensively restored from 1980 to 1994 and carefully stored from 1996 to late 2007. During those eleven years it formed part of a collection of cars, three of which were Aston Martins, and is now part of a collection of ten Astons belonging to a long-time enthusiast of the marque.
Chassis number ‘1502’ was delivered new to one W J F Tillyard as a standard car but was returned by him to the factory to be fitted with Weber carburettors, an overdrive gearbox and twin exhausts. The car competed regularly in 1958 driven by its owner and G Lightblown at events that included the David Brown Trophy Meeting, Silverstone on 17th May; St John Horsfall Meeting, Silverstone on 12th July; and the Bentley Drivers Club, Silverstone on 2nd August.
Left-Hand-Drive, Matching-Numbers Car. Beautifully Preserved Original Interior. Approximately 51,000 Documented Miles From New. Wonderful Character and Patina. Perfect Candidate for Vintage Rallies and AMOC Events.
This Mark III is highly documented from new. While it was thought that Mark IIIs were not exported to France until May 1957, a copy of the original build sheet confirms that this car was delivered to the main Aston Martin dealer in Paris, Garage Mirabeau, and delivered to its first owner, Mr. M. Firino-Martell of Cognac, on 12 April, 1957. This original left-hand drive example was specified with front disc brakes, twin exhaust and exceptionally rare triple Weber carburettors. Of note, Mr. Firino-Martell was a member of the Martell family of distilling fame in Cognac, France, whose enthusiasm for motorsport was evident in his association with the development of the Magny Cours racing circuit.
In August 2003 the engine was fully rebuilt by renowned marque specialists R S Williams to a up-rated specification with an unleaded-compatible aluminium cylinder head, Cosworth pistons, Carrillo con-rods and electronic ignition. At the same time RSW completely rebuilt the gearbox and fitted a DB5 diaphragm clutch. In addition the chassis was refurbished with new bushes, aluminium mounting blocks and front stub axles, and overhauled brakes.
The example on offer here was manufactured in 1958, with a copy of the original factory build sheet indicating it was originally sold to Lord Hugh Russell of Market Harborough.