1970 LS7

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by bob777, Sep 12, 2004.

1. My uncle had like 50 old Corvette Magazines that he gave me a while ago. I was going through them yesterday and came across something realy interesting that I hadn't known before. The artical was pretty long so I just kind of sumed it up.

From an all out performance point of view, many Corvette enthusiasts would have like to seen the 1970 LS7 Corvette. And what make the LS7 Corvette even more exasperating to enthusiasts is that it came so close to making it into production; it was even listed in the 1970 line-up.
    No 1970 LS-7 Vettes were ever sold despite the existence of at least 1 prototype. An LS-7 Vette was even tested in the March 1970 issue of Sports Car Graphic. But for whatever reason Chevy got cold feet over releasing what would have been the highest-horsepower Corvette ever cataloged. Various reasons have been offered for the demise of the LS7 project; concerns about releasing such a powerful car the public, along with internal GM politics against cars with excessive horsepower; the anticipated drop in compression ratios for 1971; or possibly GM’s then-current “de-proliferation” program aimed to reduce the number of option packages that complicated production and raised costs. Any or all of these reasons may have been valid.
    In an case the LS7 would have been a stormer. Essentially a ZL1 427 with the 454’s added cubic inches and cast iron block. The LS7 was variously rated at 460 to 465hp at 5200rpm, but that figure is for those who still believe in the Tooth Fairy. A Chevrolet Engineer was quoted to say that it had closer to an output of 490-500hp at 6000rpm running on 103 octane gas with the ZL1 cam, 12.1:1 compression and cast iron exhaust manifolds. With 2-inch tube headers, another estimated 100hp would be possible, making the LS7 “the most powerful production engine to ever come out of Detroit”

---

Sorry, no pics. There were no pics of an actual 1970 LS7. Some guy made a replica of the engine and put it into a red 1970 Corvette w/ a ZL1 style hood.

2. Mighty impressive motor, but even with headers it wouldn't be the most powerful engine out of Detroit.

That title still belongs to the rare Ford 427 SOHC, a.k.a. the "Cammer." In 8V form, it made 658 bhp @ 7500 rpm.

3. What year did that come out?

4. 1965 I believe.

5. 1965 and it was only found on fairlanes as an option and on nhra early mustang funny cars.The fairlanes fitted with that engine were known as the fairlane thunderbolt.

6. I forgot about that....thanks for postin this.

7. Hemi Darts producted more then 700BHP.

8. Becuase they had a race-spec hemi which was only described as being street legal only to be legal for competition. Same deal with the cammer. I think the LS7 was going to be the most powerful motor specifically for the street.

9. Becuase they had a race-spec hemi which was only described as being street legal only to be legal for competition. Same deal with the cammer. I think the LS7 was going to be the most powerful motor specifically for the street.

10. Could be.

11. 500 horsepower?
    Hell, the 426 Hemi made that too and it was a street engine.

12. Good find

13. "490-500hp at 6000rpm running on 103 octane gas with the ZL1 cam, 12.1:1 compression"

12.1 compression? 103 octane? doesn't sound like a street engine to me.

14. THe hemi adrts were built to 80 examples by Mr Norm of Grand Spaulding Dodge of Chicago.The cammer was only found in the fairlane as an option.The ls7 was in fact the ls6, the engine found in the chevelle ss 454 ls6.Ls7 was the denomination of the engine but for the vette.Due to less restrictive in the vette hp of the ls7 (according to my book chevy high performance) was 470hp.It was never installed on vettes in 1970, only ls5 454ci 390hp were installed on vettes this year.

15. The 426hemi was underrated at 425hp for avoiding insurance taxes, real hp was 550hp.

16. The zl1 was a race engine which was used in can am as well as drag racing in the mid and late sixties. 69 camaro zl1 were built in 1969 with this fabulous engine.

17. Yes, I know that.

18. "doesn't sound like a street engine to me"