A bit underrated

Discussion in '1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird 440' started by chevy freak, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: A bit underrated

ahhhhhhhhh the good ole 426hemi. I would give 5 years of my life away
    for one

2. Just look at the following picture. It's basically the same car, with a slightly down tweaked Hemi, which is actually itself underrated, actual horsepower is in the mid 500s. Also, there is obviously a difference in brands, but the Superbirds and Daytonas were sister cars, both equally powerful. While your at it, take a look at the Plymouth 'Cuda, and any other American car you can find that was built before '72.

3. Re: A bit underrated

is this how they really come or is this one modded up?

4. Re: A bit underrated

they come this way. that wing on the back can hold 500+ lbs. it is amazing engineering. Petty dominated with this car

5. Re: A bit underrated

Yes these cars came with that body work its Dodge brother was the Charger Daytona it had a slightly different wing and nose cone but they were more or less the same.

6. Re: A bit underrated

it was underrated from the factory for a reason

7. Re: A bit underrated

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from dodge_punk</i>
    <b>yah HP is really 525 HP for these Hemi's, the dodge Daytona and Plymouth superbirds are way different, the superbird is built off of a plymouth roadrunner frame and body.. the dodge daytona is a dodge Charger fame and body, and one of them has a more of a steep angled wing.. not sure which on though, i think its the superbird with the steep wing, 0-60 in 5.5 for such a heavy car!!!! so much HP and torque.. this is the ultamate muscle car.. same with Hemi cudas !!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->that is right, same with all the mopars equipped with an hemi<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: A bit underrated

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bigblockbrawler</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from dodge_punk</i>
    <b>yah HP is really 525 HP for these Hemi's, the dodge Daytona and Plymouth superbirds are way different, the superbird is built off of a plymouth roadrunner frame and body.. the dodge daytona is a dodge Charger fame and body, and one of them has a more of a steep angled wing.. not sure which on though, i think its the superbird with the steep wing, 0-60 in 5.5 for such a heavy car!!!! so much HP and torque.. this is the ultamate muscle car.. same with Hemi cudas !!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->that is right, same with all the mopars equipped with an hemi</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->especially chargers, roarunners, coronets, gtx and so more other old good mopar muscle!

9. Re: A bit underrated

Man, I saw one of these rare wing warrior at a car show and believe me, I look at this car for 1/2 an hour. I ask the owner if he could start it and the crowd of peoples was amaze !!! Love to have one in my garage ( if it fits )

10. Re: A bit underrated

yah HP is really 525 HP for these Hemi's, the dodge Daytona and Plymouth superbirds are way different, the superbird is built off of a plymouth roadrunner frame and body.. the dodge daytona is a dodge Charger fame and body, and one of them has a more of a steep angled wing.. not sure which on though, i think its the superbird with the steep wing, 0-60 in 5.5 for such a heavy car!!!! so much HP and torque.. this is the ultamate muscle car.. same with Hemi cudas !!

11. Re:

Definetly one of the best but not the best. The best is the 1968 Hemi Super Stock Dart. Factory stock of the show room floor running low 10's in the 1/4 mile.... in 1968!!!!!

12. Re: A bit underrated

this car was very underrated. It made well over 500 hp, back in the day. and anyone who thinks otherwise should be riding on the shortbus!

13. Re: A bit underrated

I do believe that the 1970 Superbird was actually more aerodynamic than the '70 Charger Daytona, and maybe faster? if I could get a Roadrunner or two, I would get this one, and the '71, (yes the '71) just because the body style is sweet, and the '71 is most likely more accessible than the '70 Superbird..and probably a helluva lot cheaper too! man Petty whooped butt in 1970 in that Superbird! no wonder they banned it after that season

14. Re: A bit underrated

the winged warriors wre more aerodynamic than their competitors but they also had a better engine the 426 hemi even if ford introduced its tallageda with boss engines and its merc cyclones with boss engines but they lacked of the aerodynamism that winged warriors have. the folowing year has seen the ban of engines over 350ci as well as aerodynamic helps.

regards

426hemistage8